Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jan 21, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #768 of 2,569
Dark Voice 336se got some good reviews. But yeah Classics would be cool.
I mean, it gets good reviews for being on the budget end of tube amps. It's like the cheapest thing that doesn't completely suck for an OTL. More expensive stuff really takes the cake. Plus you gotta deal with a high floor noise with the Darkvoice.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #769 of 2,569
I have an NFB 12.1....thinking about grabbing an R2R-11 on a recommendation by another poster over in the LCD2C thread.

But I'm not sure if it will really change anything? Opinions?

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #770 of 2,569
I have an NFB 12.1....thinking about grabbing an R2R-11 on a recommendation by another poster over in the LCD2C thread.

Not sure you'd notice anything dramatic unless you A/Bed the two. The changes provided by the R2R are subtle but the more you listen you notice the effects of smoothness, less hard-edged and the realism it provides. This is my opinion only but I would take with a healthy grain of salt those opinions that say, "OMG this is the best piece of audio gear ever...".

It is a great piece of gear, better IMO than anything in it's price-point. The DAC is suburb. I think it would be better than the 12.1 (yes, I have heard it as I used to own one). Just don't bank on it changing your life or anything but it is well worth it.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #771 of 2,569

I used to have the nfb12. The 12.1 is similar in architecture as far as i can see. The r2r 11 is a clear upgrade that will be obvious with transparent headphones. It sounds more open, detailed and clean. With better imaging. With planars, it should be a real treat. I will try mine next week with the he-560.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #772 of 2,569
I have an O2+ODAC (soon to be upgraded to R2R-11) and I also have a DAC-X6. That pink noise thing is horrible. I was playing BF4 with my K712s and everything was fine then I switched to BF1 and all of a sudden the pink noise comes out of nowhere and scares the crap out of me, perhaps it's best to leave the X6 at 16-bit since it doesn't do the pink noise thing at 16-bit.

Yes that's what I have found with the Fx-X6, it's so annoying, because you never know when it's going to hit. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not that why I always turn the volume down before changing bit rate.
My K712 also started to have "the squeak" in the left earcup, this is only when I try to adjust them, not when they are sitting on my head but it's still annoying. Should I send them back? I have replacement Monoliths M560's coming as well as the R2R-11, so I don't know :disappointed: The pads on the K712's are getting glorious though but ears also touch the drivers and I would like them to be more clampy. When I first got them I thought the bass was more noticeable than it is now, which should be the opposite, as many people say bass gets tighter and the phones open up. Also, they feel too plasticky, almost like toy, that's what bums me about it. Hopefully they synergise really well with R2R.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #773 of 2,569
Yes that's what I have found with the Fx-X6, it's so annoying, because you never know when it's going to hit. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not that why I always turn the volume down before changing bit rate.
My K712 also started to have "the squeak" in the left earcup, this is only when I try to adjust them, not when they are sitting on my head but it's still annoying. Should I send them back? I have replacement Monoliths M560's coming as well as the R2R-11, so I don't know :disappointed: The pads on the K712's are getting glorious though but ears also touch the drivers and I would like them to be more clampy. When I first got them I thought the bass was more noticeable than it is now, which should be the opposite, as many people say bass gets tighter and the phones open up. Also, they feel too plasticky, almost like toy, that's what bums me about it. Hopefully they synergise really well with R2R.
If the squeak is only happening in the left ear cup then I'd send them for a replacement if they're still under warranty.

Also why change the bit-depth, why not just leave it at 16-bit?. I have done a lot of testing on it and the results come back the same every time, it only rapes you with pink noise if it's at 24-bit.

Also give the K712s time, people are right when they say they'll really open up. AKGs have a notoriously long burn in time.

And I know it feels cheap and flimsy but it isn't, trust me.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #774 of 2,569
Hello fellow R2R 11 owners.

Following the observation by some that the DAC in it pairs well with external amps I am also tempted to try my R2R 11 with an amp that will extract even better perfomance.

I have been looking at the Rupert Neve RNHP and the mostly positive feedback it has received. Anyone had the chance to audition it with R2R 11?

So far I like the R2R 11 so much that I have put my Marantz HD DAC-1 that costs almost twice as much for sale (and will obvously need to change my avatar picture soon).

However I think that a good amp can emphasize the very good DAC in the R2R 11 even further. My gut feeling at the moment is that the amp section in the HD-DAC-1 is better but the DAC section is not as good as the R2R 11 and vice versa.

The Rupert Neve RNHP seems like a good amp for R2R 11 and with 0.01 impedance will probably be a better match for my 25Ohm EMU Teak. I am also interested in having a bit more room on the pot as at the moment I can rarely go above 9 o'clock position.

Any thoughts and positive or negative impressions of RNHP?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #775 of 2,569
For those that are looking for a solid DAC/Amp combo for Grado headphones, the Audio-GD R2R-11 is quite good with my pair of 225e.

24972251037_d8ce13f732_b.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #776 of 2,569
If the squeak is only happening in the left ear cup then I'd send them for a replacement if they're still under warranty.

Also why change the bit-depth, why not just leave it at 16-bit?. I have done a lot of testing on it and the results come back the same every time, it only rapes you with pink noise if it's at 24-bit.

Also give the K712s time, people are right when they say they'll really open up. AKGs have a notoriously long burn in time.

And I know it feels cheap and flimsy but it isn't, trust me.

Yes, I have only had them for 2 or 3 weeks now, however I put zip ties on the sides so it doesn't slide down further and surprisingly it increased the clamp and no more squeaks, much better around my ear and don't notice my ears touching driver anymore, so happy now, they feel so much sturdier on my head. I think zip tie mod is a must for people with small heads.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #778 of 2,569
Yes, I have only had them for 2 or 3 weeks now, however I put zip ties on the sides so it doesn't slide down further and surprisingly it increased the clamp and no more squeaks, much better around my ear and don't notice my ears touching driver anymore, so happy now, they feel so much sturdier on my head. I think zip tie mod is a must for people with small heads.
Interesting, I've never heard of this zip tie mod for AKG headphones. I've also never seen anyone say they're loose for small heads, the clamp force on them remains pretty strong even after months of use, I can shake my head violently whilst wearing them and they remain planted on my head.

Also since you're still within warranty I'd make use of it, you shouldn't have to resort to zip ties to fix it, that squeakiness could become worse to a point where not even the zip ties could save it, you never know.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #780 of 2,569
*exits lurking mode*

I decided to put my vinyl/analogue equipment pursuit on indefinite hold after my 18 month-old toddler became obsessed with rearranging my records (She even managed to crease the cover of one of my super and rare valuable records from the Rephlex catalogue!!). After reading posts on Reddit and of course here on HeadFi I decided to get the Audio GD R2R 11 (over Schiit stack and the ODAC) and dive headlong into the world of digital audio.

I'm currently using Beyerdynamic Dt 770 Pro 250 Ohms (I listen mainly to electronic music of the braindance-IDM persuasion).

Anyway, I’ve had the R2R 11 since January 2 and my turntable and records have been gathering dust ever since. It’s been a blast and I definitely find myself enjoying the sounds more as my ears have adjusted to it. I never realized digital could sound this good. So while I don’t have another quality DAC to a/b test this with I’m extremely satisfied.

However, once in awhile I experience a loud and sudden crashing static-like tearing sound that is downright scary. This sound happens continuously until stopping the track only ending when I pause and restart the track. I’m not positive but It seems to happen less when the unit has been powered on and running for while. It happens while using headphones and while using the unit as a preamp. This happens less frequently now but before it was happening every other day.

Have any of you heard of this before? Is this what people are referring to as “pink noise”? I took a recording of this sound so I can upload it to Youtube in case anyone else is curious to hear it. I’m really hoping this problem goes a away but I worry that it might signify a more serious problem.

Appreciate any of your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back