Audio-GD Master 9
Jan 29, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #2,146 of 2,530
What’s the difference in sound in terms of signature and quality between master 19 and Master 9 ?
All the same. The higher you're going in the ladder, the better detail retrieval, layering and driving capacity. The newer models, he9 mkii and he9 LE are a bit different, they have a bit better dynamics and smoothness. I love the he9 mkii, i will never buy another hp amp.

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #2,147 of 2,530
There a imbalance in the L&R channels on my Master-9 when I have the volume set bellow 15. Which is a problem since I listen with the volume, for the most part, around 10. Does anyone know if there is a repair place in the USA so I don't have to pay the ~$200 in chipping to China.

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #2,148 of 2,530
There a imbalance in the L&R channels on my Master-9 when I have the volume set bellow 15. Which is a problem since I listen with the volume, for the most part, around 10. Does anyone know if there is a repair place in the USA so I don't have to pay the ~$200 in chipping to China.
Make sure it is not the headphones. Maybe Underwoodhifi can do it, they are the us retailer.

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #2,150 of 2,530
I've tried with several headphones. The imbalance is always there. Even when using it as a pre-amp.
I guess you made the hp inversion test and it not your ears causing the issue... Reason for asking is that this sort of problem is extremely rare to my knowledge. A relay or relay driver is likely deffective. I doubt a resistor has failed. Could also be a transistor issue but i doubt it. On a he9, this mean quite a complex job.

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #2,151 of 2,530
I guess you made the hp inversion test and it not your ears causing the issue... Reason for asking is that this sort of problem is extremely rare to my knowledge. A relay or relay driver is likely deffective. I doubt a resistor has failed. Could also be a transistor issue but i doubt it. On a he9, this mean quite a complex job.
Yes I did, again it is only on volumes of less than 10 once you get above 10 it balances out

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #2,152 of 2,530
I also had the denafrips ares ii before, great entry level r2r dac.

You should see what happens when you swap in an R8mk2 with acss interconnects. Surpassed all my expectations.
I'd like to, but inflation is keeping me from trying anything else out for the time being. Very interested to see what it sounds like.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,153 of 2,530
I'd like to, but inflation is keeping me from trying anything else out for the time being. Very interested to see what it sounds like.
I think for me after getting the r8 and master clock, I've met my endgame, for now at least.

I have no desire to upgrade anything which i haven't felt in many many years.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #2,154 of 2,530
I think for me after getting the r8 and master clock, I've met my endgame, for now at least.

I have no desire to upgrade anything which i haven't felt in many many years.
This is it. Sure, there is still an R7 and a better headamp, but even the R8 and a Master 19 are so good you just don't feel like to need to upgrade.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #2,155 of 2,530
Don't do it if you're not ready to spend the money and make a home for the gear. Once you hear Audio-gd there is no going back :wink:

But the upside is you won't feel the need to upgrade again, as @dougms3 said. So, it is a good investment and hedge against inflation.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #2,157 of 2,530
Looks great to me, if I had room for it I would buy one without hesitation over a Master 9.

edited: I have to clarify, I meant 9P. I forgot about the "PS" edition. I would not choose that one.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #2,158 of 2,530
Sorry guys, but have any of you ever listened to the Audio GD Master 9PS?
I have a Master 9PS, in terms of natural sound, I think this is one of the best transistor amplifiers. With HD800 on a balanced output, I would put it at the level of Unison Research SH.
But, Cayin HA-3A with planar Kennerton Heartland turned out to be better in almost all - transparency, naturalness, the volume of the virtual scene.
Not much, but better, even with RCA input.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #2,159 of 2,530
I have a Master 9PS, in terms of natural sound, I think this is one of the best transistor amplifiers. With HD800 on a balanced output, I would put it at the level of Unison Research SH.
But, Cayin HA-3A with planar Kennerton Heartland turned out to be better in almost all - transparency, naturalness, the volume of the virtual scene.
Not much, but better, even with RCA input.
I have a Meze Elite planar and I have to decide which amplifier to match.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #2,160 of 2,530
I have a Meze Elite planar and I have to decide which amplifier to match.
According to reviews, HA-3A is perfect.
Among other things, Master overloaded sensitive Kennerton in some compositions at low frequencies even at SE output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back