Audio-GD Master 9
May 18, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #1,246 of 2,497
  It's strange, but my M9 has audible noise in headphones on both gains after about 82-83 volume value. You can think I'm crazy to use such high values, but my DAC has some kind of "quiet" output and I should use values about 65-67 on balanced output and about 75-77 on unbalanced one to listen to music with appropriate loudness. So it kinda troubles me.

Have you tried with a diff DAC, maybe the noise is from the DAC ?

May 18, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,247 of 2,497
  Have you tried with a diff DAC, maybe the noise is from the DAC ?

Don't have the opportunity to try another DAC now, but good advice, thanks. But I think using such volume values with "normal" DAC is dangerous to headphones :) Also, there wasn't any noise when I used HDVA600

May 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,248 of 2,497
  Don't have the opportunity to try another DAC now, but good advice, thanks. But I think using such volume values with "normal" DAC is dangerous to headphones :) Also, there wasn't any noise when I used HDVA600

Does the M9 have noise if you have the DAC turn off as well? If not the problem is probably up steams. The M9 is amplifying all input signals.

May 18, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,249 of 2,497

Does the M9 have noise if you have the DAC turn off as well? If not the problem is probably up steams. The M9 is amplifying all input signals.

Yes, I have just tried it that way - still a slight noise after reaching 82-83 volume. I think it's a power related thing - the quality of electric mains in average Russian house is awful, unfortunately. Still, this issue is not super annoying because this slight background noise only appears on very high volume which I don't use (and that's not some kind of high frequency noise or transformer hum - it's more like "silence" on records when the background is not 100% black) , but knowing that the noise floor on any volume is most probably higher than it should be is not pleasant thing.

BTW, am I the only one with such an issue? :)

May 18, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #1,250 of 2,497

Have you tried lifting the ground on the amp?

May 19, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,252 of 2,497
  Yes, I have just tried it that way - still a slight noise after reaching 82-83 volume. I think it's a power related thing - the quality of electric mains in average Russian house is awful, unfortunately. Still, this issue is not super annoying because this slight background noise only appears on very high volume which I don't use (and that's not some kind of high frequency noise or transformer hum - it's more like "silence" on records when the background is not 100% black) , but knowing that the noise floor on any volume is most probably higher than it should be is not pleasant thing.

BTW, am I the only one with such an issue? :)

A small consistent noise floor, that’s only apparent at levels way higher when we ever listening to, have very little to no impact on sound. I noticing the noise floor if turning the volume all the way up on my gear as well. With plenty of power you can amplify signals that are less than 120 db. If you notice it already at 82 I guess we are talking about a higher noise floor than that. Still no big problem if you don’t have very efficient headphones or that you listening at this volumes. 

May 20, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,254 of 2,497
I don't have the "real" ground in my apartment.

Sure, my place is the same. But if your power cord has a ground prong and is sharing a power bar with other similar power cords then your gear may all be "grounded" to each other (not a technical explanation). Lifting the ground means cutting the ground connection with your M9 and your power bar. With audio gear you may find this removes any noise in your system. This can be especially important for dacs. In my system I just open up the power cable and disconnect the ground wire.

May 20, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #1,255 of 2,497
An easier way of testing this up without cutting up a power cord is put a piece of regular scotch tape over your ground prong. It will sufficiently insulate it from the ground receptacle. Then you can go into more invasive measures if you like what you hear.

May 20, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,256 of 2,497
  An easier way of testing this up without cutting up a power cord is put a piece of regular scotch tape over your ground prong. It will sufficiently insulate it from the ground receptacle. Then you can go into more invasive measures if you like what you hear.

Well I didn't cut anything. That would be crazy 
biggrin.gif
  Just disconnected.

But yes even disconnecting is work.  Better to test first.  Here in Canada (and the US) a cheater plug is good for testing.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #1,257 of 2,497
Any opinions on the Master 9 vs the Ragnarok or GSX-Mk2 ?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #1,258 of 2,497
No experience with gx2, but much preferred my M11 (similar to M9) compared to Rag. Rag sounded muddied to me.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #1,259 of 2,497
Hi guys, jonathan here..

Am new to the headfi also..
Have the M9 for 1 months

Anyone have experienced the M9 connected balanced to the arce mdac3..???

Is it causing a bottleneck for the class A Amp to the Dac..??? Cause seems all frequencies bleed to each other..

Using a he500 and T1 as well the LCD x..

Anyone can help enlightend me guys..??

Thanks
Jonathan

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,260 of 2,497
¿Have you tried using another DAC or the single rca inputs? Might want to check the voltage output of del MDAC3    Master-9 works idealy with 5V XLR input, like it was designed to be paired with it's own product, Master-7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back