Audio-GD Master 9
Feb 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #226 of 2,511
Yeah, ¬¬P 
014cced2b73c22eb88cdc6901afb0c9d.png
 P 
wink_face.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #228 of 2,511
  Ha ha - Steve, I'm not doubting for 1 minute the M9 is not a good amp.  Not for a second.  However, from my experience I'm pretty sure - If I only had the HE-6 as my only headphone, the M9 "would not" be my amp.  Hell a speaker amp from the same company may be a better choice.

I'll be my dime to your donuts the GS-X mk2 can drive that headphone
biggrin.gif
   If the M9 is as versatile with a wide range of headphones as the GS-X mk2 is, then for sure it's a great amp.  There's not many out there as flexible as the GS-X mk2.  The new Schiit amp coming out is said to be even more flexible.

I asked Kingwa whether the Precision2  would be better for the HE-6's than my Master-6. He said it probably would not be.
The Precision 2's greater power vs the Master-6's greater quality, with the advantage of the balanced design, should still mean the M6/8/9 is better for the HE-6, according to Kingwa.

Also the Master-6 is excellent with my HE-6, T1, HD800 & LCD2.2 so I would say that's pretty versatile  
wink_face.gif

The GSX-2 and the M6/8/9 both attempt the neutrality path so I don't see any reason one would be more flexible than the other, disregarding the ACSS connection to other A-GD gear.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #230 of 2,511

I asked Kingwa whether the Precision2  would be better for the HE-6's than my Master-6. He said it probably would not be.
The Precision 2's greater power vs the Master-6's greater quality, with the advantage of the balanced design, should still mean the M6/8/9 is better for the HE-6, according to Kingwa.

Also the Master-6 is excellent with my HE-6, T1, HD800 & LCD2.2 so I would say that's pretty versatile  
wink_face.gif

The GSX-2 and the M6/8/9 both attempt the neutrality path so I don't see any reason one would be more flexible than the other, disregarding the ACSS connection to other A-GD gear.

Again, If we are only taking about using the HE-6 here - Again, If the HE-6 is your only headphone.  From the same company my money would go on the Master 3.  I have not heard the Master 9, I have heard the Master 3 and it's a very good match.  

Those headphones would not make the amp versatile.  Just so we are clear.  I'm talking about everything from IEMs, Denons and Fostex to the headphones you named.

Last bold:

Huh?

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #231 of 2,511
  Again, If we are only taking about using the HE-6 here - Again, If the HE-6 is your only headphone.  From the same company my money would go on the Master 3.  I have not heard the Master 9, I have heard the Master 3 and it's a very good match.  

Those headphones would not make the amp versatile.  Just so we are clear.  I'm talking about everything from IEMs, Denons and Fostex to the headphones you named.

Last bold:

Huh?

I have heard the M6 with Denon D2000 and some low impedance Senn's with no problems Just have to careful with the volume. Never tried any Fostex or IEM's but the M8/9 with their variable gain should be no better or worse than the GSX-2.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #234 of 2,511

From the Audio GD website:
Total applied 12 pcs exact matching 150W transistors ( In total 1800W )  as the output stages and PSU stages for implement large class A output power .
Uses three R-core transformers (In total 135W ) separate power supplies for the digital  control components, right and left channels.
More than 55,000uf audio grade NOVER capacitors are used to ensure ample and smooth power delivery.

I’m interested in how much more the First F1J has.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #235 of 2,511
I'm not sure I understand the reason for comparing a headphone amp to a speaker amp?  Comparing the Master 3 and the F1J would be more understandable.  I've done that with both side by side.

The discussion was not about power supplies per say, It was more so about Transformers.  The small r-core transformers most headphone amps use and the very large over sized Toroidal Transformers most speaker amps use.  

I really don't understand the fascination some people have with having a big powerful mega watt headphone amp.  As if the HE-6 was the only headphone in the world.  Headphone amps are meant to have small form factor and low powered to accommodate - well headphones.  The only "two" headphones I know of that benefit from a speaker amp are the AKG K1Ks and the HE-6.  

It seems like the main goal these day is "can it power the HE-6"  

/end rant...

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #236 of 2,511
Preproman: Just FYI, transformers do not store power. Capacitors do. The size of a transformer is related to the amount of power that has to flow through it. 
smile.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #237 of 2,511
Correct.  The amount of "current" AC that flow through it.  R-core transformers transfer less AC compared to large Toroidal transformers.  Thus is "one" difference between headphone amps and speaker amps.

Audio-GD use r-core for their headphone amps and Toroidal for their speaker amps..

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #238 of 2,511
...The only "two" headphones I know of that benefit from a speaker amp are the AKG K1Ks and the HE-6.  ...

/end rant...

You can add the AKG K340 to that list. I've owned all three. Most K340 owners haven't heard it at its best unless they driven it with a amp like the M9 or a speaker amp. I drove my K1000 and K340 with a Mark Levinson 100 wpc speaker amp. All three of these headphones sound lean and lack powerful bass when driven by inadequate power. Driven well, all of them become warmer and produce a full body sound. When Jose heard my K340 driven by the M9, he was amazed that a 22 year old headphone could match todays best headphones. Disclaimer, my K340 has been modded by Headphile with a double entry cable and nylon mesh screens.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #239 of 2,511
@ SteveM324

Have you ever heard Hifiman EF6 + He6?  Has M9 obviously more powerful than EF6?
Usually my EF6+ He6 is at around 1-2 PM of volume dial that is around the same level as your M9 (60/100).
So I doubt that M9 really has more power than EF6 or not.

Thanks

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #240 of 2,511
@chirawatf

That depends on the type of volume that the unit has,  the Master-9  Has something kingwa calls super-exponential.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-9/M8Svol1.JPG

EF-6

Volume: Hand-made Step Attenuator    (maybe it's linear)
Power Supply Design: CLC filter
Weight: about 24 lb (10.75 KG)
Dimensions: 13''(330 mm)Wide *12.2"(310mm)Deep *4.1"(105mm)High
THD: 0.03% (1w and 1KHz)
S/N: 95 DB
Max Output: Class A 5W at 50 Ohm

(specs are way lower than Master 9 though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back