Audio-GD Master 9
Jan 23, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #182 of 2,514
Thanks Greed.  I was weighing out the M9 vs GSX MK2 decision for about a month.   Glad I got the M9.   I prefer natural, warmer, fuller, smoother.  Plus I saved a few thousand dollars and a four month wait.  

Is the HE-6 at all bright or aggressive in the treble on the M9 to your ears?

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #183 of 2,514
  The LCD-X/M9 pairing was very nice to my ears. The synergy between the two headphones exhibited well controlled bass, good texture, and decent slam although it could be tighter (maybe the GS-X mk2 is a better match just like with the LCD-3). I find the Audeze headphones tend to pair well with SS amps that have plenty of low-end and good bass control. I also found the LCD-X to gain some air and increased soundstage with the M9 that definitely helped. I feel the LCD-X could stand some improvement in those areas.

Based on everything I've read, I think I'm ready to commit to the M9 to pair with my LCD-X. My only question now is about with which source to complete the chain.

Both you and senson mentioned that the X lacked some aggression / bass slam/tightness perhaps due in part to your sources (DA8 / DP-777). Are there any suggestions anyone has for a DAC in the $800-$1200 range that may help round out those issues and complete the chain with M9 and LCD-X?

(I've been considering Gungnir, X-Sabre, and DA8)

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #184 of 2,514

Based on everything I've read, I think I'm ready to commit to the M9 to pair with my LCD-X. My only question now is about with which source to complete the chain.

Both you and senson mentioned that the X lacked some aggression / bass slam/tightness perhaps due in part to your sources (DA8 / DP-777). Are there any suggestions anyone has for a DAC in the $800-$1200 range that may help round out those issues and complete the chain with M9 and LCD-X?

(I've been considering Gungnir, X-Sabre, and DA8)

Correct. I found the M9/AMR/LCD-X to be slightly lacking in the overall slam/tightness. I would attribute most of this to my upstream setup. My DAC is slight soft in the bass, so the M9 is just showing that flaw. Within your price range I would look for a used NAD M51. Probably the best DAC in that range with regards to overall slam/tightness with just the amount of forwardness to liven up the sound. The Gungnir is also an option and probably the best one from the 3 you mentioned in terms of bass. You want to find something that isn't warm, with some aggression - maybe the BDA-1 from Bryston? I've heard it is pretty good and is much leaner sounding than the aforementioned DACs. Since you already own the Gungnir, I would say buy an M9 and try it out. If you don't like the pairing, sell it and try something else. The Ygg might be a good option if you can stretch your budget some.  

Edit: In terms of bass, one of the best I've heard is the PWD MK II. If that is at all possible, you will not be disappointed. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #187 of 2,514

Edit: In terms of bass, one of the best I've heard is the PWD MK II. If that is at all possible, you will not be disappointed. 

I've recently been reading about the network bridge bought separately. What is it capable of, and is it something I need if I intended to run MK2 through usb?

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #188 of 2,514

I've recently been reading about the network bridge bought separately. What is it capable of, and is it something I need if I intended to run MK2 through usb?

Not at all. The bridge from what I understand is just a way for you to connect to your music server, etc. wirelessly. It can connect to your computer, tablet, etc. anything with a wireless connection to stream music to your chain. PS markets it as being uncompromised, meaning no degradation in sound quality through the stream. When I owned mine, I didn't have the bridge installed, but other than the convenience - it doesn't effect sonics at all. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #189 of 2,514
Important to note there's no gapless playback. The eLyric software is really what holds the bridge back.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #191 of 2,514
Just a quick note. I received my Master 9 today and while I well know not to talk too definitively before a serious length of burn in (lately heard a couple of people posit that burn in has to do with a piece of equipment acclimatizing to the existing ground plane of your home's AC, but that's another discussion) I wanted to list a few early thoughts.
   First, I am listening while I write this, and that is very difficult to do! The music keeps dragging my attention away from what I am trying to write ( I am trying to correct typo's, sorry if I miss any!) The music just seems to float in air and have very little to to with the headphones (Audeze LCD-2 v2) and while hearing them driven balanced probably explains some of what is going on I am not sure that is all there is to it. Even this early in the exposure to this amp I am struck by how deep but unforced the bass seems. I have tried some discs with deep powerful bass and it just seems so natural and while not in your face the depth and flow and sheer power when it's called for is very striking. The mid range on vocals and piano is as smooth as one might hope for but there is amazing clarity and an ability to follow the softest instrumental lines easily. Treble is not at all harsh but there is plenty of sparkle when it's there and you can certainly discern hot miking or overly processed recordings.
   Having said all that, the main ting that I feel right now is how naturally the whole range seems "of a piece" nothing seems overly emphasized, nor under represented.
   Of course it is early days and my Reference 7.1 will be moving in with the Master 9 once the Master 7 DAC arrives, so this impression will certainly evolve over the next while. As of this first few hours I can say that I am very happy and impressed. Another great job by Kingwa and his crew! 
  p.s. -  Is it possible to want to marry a woman based just on the sound of her voice? I am listening to Jennifer Nettles and her voice just wraps around you even at this stage in listening to the music through the Master 9!

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #192 of 2,514

Congratulations to your new amp!

I'm also waiting for the 7 to go with my M9. Hopefully a superb match.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #193 of 2,514
  1. Articnoise.
  2.  Thanks!
             I am interested to find out what difference there is between the Reference 7.1 and the Master 7 in my music room system. Also it will be interesting to compare my current headphone system DAC (a Yamaha professional location monitoring 24/96 DAC) to the Ref 7.1.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #194 of 2,514

If I have understand everything correct the biggest different between the 7.1 and M7 should be better resolution, details and dynamics from the M7. Some clams the Master 7 to be more neutral as well. I haven’t heard any professional Yamaha dac, but the Yamaha CD player I have heard hasn’t been to my liking. To digital and cold sounding for me.

Do you have an ACSS cable between the 7.1 and M9?

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #195 of 2,514
Funnily enough I have had various Yamaha CD players and I have never found them to sound as you describe (perhaps difference due to the particular model you had?) I have understood the same as you regarding what to expect regarding the Master 7 but after a long break in I am very impressed with the Reference 7.1. If the Master 7 at least equals the sound I have now it will still be a win for convenience since the Master seven has USB built in. If it sounds better then that would be a serious bonus! Having found Kingwa to be very accurate in his descriptions of what to expect to me, I am confident that there will be some improvement, how much, we shall see! Also I am certain that the Reference 7.1 will sound better than the Yamaha DAC I am now using for headphone listening, but it will be interesting to see just how and by how much.
  I will be using the ACSS connection from the DAC to the Master 9 as I found a big improvement in doing so in the music room. I am using DHC cables by Peter Bradstock of Double Helix Cables and have found his cables to be a major factor in the sound and how much I am enjoying the music in the music room. I am not sure that I could appreciate Kingwa's work as much without Peter's cables in place (comparing them to some seriously mega buck cables, there is just no comparison!) I recommend his stuff as highly as I can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back