Audio-GD Master 9
Apr 14, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #2,476 of 2,488
Why the **** are you always so insistent on trying to convince people not to buy an HE-9 LE ? Yes, I know you are the only one who visits this thread who owns one. You clearly don't want anyone else in here to own one, which is ****in bizarre.

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #2,477 of 2,488
Why the **** are you always so insistent on trying to convince people not to buy an HE-9 LE ? Yes, I know you are the only one who visits this thread who owns one. You clearly don't want anyone else in here to own one, which is ****in bizarre.

I know that @OCC7N recommending everyone on here purchase a bunch of crazy crap for their chain CAN be slightly annoying, but there's no need to be rude. What he says does make a lot of sense and his last response is no exception. When you upgrade your AMP, everything before it in the chain doesn't just magically upgrade as well, only your ability to realize their true potential. If you have a <$500 DAC feeding an amp that costs nearly four times its price (HE-9 LE), it's gonna sound only as good as a mid-fi dac can. Probably good enough for most yes, but there is a defined ceiling that audio quality reaches that's controlled mostly by the first couple items in the chain. Once you get to that ceiling with a great amp, upgrading amps past that is really just altering the sound here or there. Everyone has different opinions but for me, jumping from a AKM chip dac to a R2R Audio-GD dac was like going from a puddle to a lake. I tried DAC's from topping and Aune and they were meh. My R-1 is king of the castle, a my personal ceiling for audio quality for now.

All @OCC7N is saying is that the master 19 is already a great AMP and that upgrading your DAC would be far more beneficial that upgrading your AMP.

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #2,479 of 2,488

1. Non-AGD DAC -> HE-9 LE
2. R-1NOS -> ACSS cable -> Master 19

Yes I recommend option 2. You could even add the DI24 to the R1N for the price of HE9LE

Option 2 will make very much sense. When you get the point then you would realize adding HE-9LE/MK3 will make more sense afterwards. I love HE9LE but would never recommend it without the usage of ACSS in the first place as both intputs/outputs head/preamp is ACSS based.

Edit:
You already have bought a new dac. Let the above recommendation be for somebody who is considering a new amp/dac to their AGD DAC/Master 19

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #2,480 of 2,488
I know that @OCC7N recommending everyone on here purchase a bunch of crazy crap for their chain CAN be slightly annoying, but there's no need to be rude. What he says does make a lot of sense and his last response is no exception. When you upgrade your AMP, everything before it in the chain doesn't just magically upgrade as well, only your ability to realize their true potential. If you have a <$500 DAC feeding an amp that costs nearly four times its price (HE-9 LE), it's gonna sound only as good as a mid-fi dac can. Probably good enough for most yes, but there is a defined ceiling that audio quality reaches that's controlled mostly by the first couple items in the chain. Once you get to that ceiling with a great amp, upgrading amps past that is really just altering the sound here or there. Everyone has different opinions but for me, jumping from a AKM chip dac to a R2R Audio-GD dac was like going from a puddle to a lake. I tried DAC's from topping and Aune and they were meh. My R-1 is king of the castle, a my personal ceiling for audio quality for now.

All @OCC7N is saying is that the master 19 is already a great AMP and that upgrading your DAC would be far more beneficial that upgrading your AMP.

I don't need a new DAC. I also don't own a 500 dollar DAC. Also, I have zero interest in R2R DACs.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #2,481 of 2,488
I don't need a new DAC. I also don't own a 500 dollar DAC. Also, I have zero interest in R2R DACs.
You hear what @OCC7N says. It is all true, a wisdom based on experience, it is a balance. Unbalanced system leads to a chain of wrong decisions, wrong investments.

There is another issue touched in a post, I think we are beyond this point, but not sure. If you own a DAC with DS technology a benefit of the old school amp may be not so great. It is because for a processed sound much cheaper opamp based solutions are adequate, you can get well designed one for $150. From this point you can progress to a nested opamps feedback architecture that offer some advantage in terms of THD and you can find one, modelled using computer simulation programs for a similar entry price like Topping L30. From this point if you don't realise pitfalls, you will upgrade to the Topping A90 or AAA blablabla to find out that it just increases sterile black background. You noticed it before, but it only now start to be annoying. What to do now? Return to the old school discrete non-feedback Class A amp, even the use is not optimal, as there is something missing in sound during DA conversion. From this point a better opamp will bring very little benefits, as improvements are mainly in the area your source do not produce.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #2,483 of 2,488
I have been in this ****in game a long time. I already know all this crap. Don't talk to me like a damn moron who knows nothing about audio gear.
Yo relax. Just turn down a recommendation instead of acting like one

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #2,485 of 2,488
I am just going to cancel my account here. I have had enough of the bull on headfi.
You can hate us, but recommendation for Master 19 is optimal in your case.

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #2,487 of 2,488
I already have the damn Master 19. I have asked for my account on this site to be removed. I have had enough of this place.
Do as you like, but having a bad day should not lead to account termination.

Just don’t take my advice. That easy

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #2,488 of 2,488
The temptation to say screw all this other gear I have and just buy a HE-9 Mk3 with a clear top is INSANE
Yeah it's insane to have that battleship sitting on my rack fending off invasive attacking WHAT ABOUT??? ideas...
Bliss? HYPSOS/OOR? US5pro? 394ii? Benchmark? SAEQ? Mentor? Silver Fox? Burson? XIAUDIO?
helps that headamp is a sponsor here
nope, GS-X mk2 or CFA3 neither!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back