Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Oct 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #856 of 4,445

E,  I'm i the process of doing the same thing you metioned in the PM 
eek.gif
   No more goodies for us..  

By the way - Congrats..
beerchug.gif

Definitely Darryl, no more goodies for a while (well, it's easier for you to say, as your goodie is en route!, but hey you deserve it following your selling bonanza). 

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #857 of 4,445
Since we all have different systems, and if its not too much trouble, I think it would be more useful if the folks who have the ability to compare the M7's USB32 to other devices could list what music they are listening to and their impressions.

Certainly a fair statement and it seems on my system the AP1+PP on Input 1 has the most enjoyable sound by a nose versus Input #3 or USB32.  As far a music anything that is dynamic - extended range tests my system from popular to classical music.  Madonna has been a singer that is hard to reproduce without climbing the walls.  Phil Collins is another from very recent memory.

The song included here (Madonna-Cherish from Celebrations (2009) 44.1k/16  flac) is a real test.  If you would like to download it and try for yourself just Click on the link, Check the box on the track, select Download, and Save to your drive.  For copyright purposes the song has been truncated slightly and included here for demo purposes only.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=636DC4E8060D66A1&id=636DC4E8060D66A1%21172

Here are my impressions of the Master 7 Inputs with this tune....

1. AP1+PP Input #1 - Big, deep bass but rhythmically tight with separation of synth bass and kick drum. Nice vocals - rarely anything other than normal sibilance.  The notes of the airy synthesizer during the chorus seem to hang in space.  Warmer sound compared to the other inputs but very detailed with nice sparkle that is evident in the choruses.

2. AP1+PP Input #3 - Not as much bass it seems as Input #1 but still plenty. Cooler sounding overall.  Space narrows.  Not bad but not as engaging as Input #1.  Some smearing of detail top to bottom.

3. USB32 - Similar to AP1+PP on Input #3 as being cooler sounding with narrower space as compare to Input #1.  Some edginess in the vocals with frequently too much breath (sibilance).  Not as much clear, distinct inner detail as Input #1.

The differences are slight but can be heard on my setup.  I'm not bothered at all by it.  I used the USB32 input for months and didn't think anything about it.  It's only when you have something else to compare that you notice (or not).  I would really be interested in other impressions if someone has a similar setup.

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #858 of 4,445
  Certainly a fair statement and it seems on my system the AP1+PP on Input 1 has the most enjoyable sound by a nose versus Input #3 or USB32.  As far a music anything that is dynamic - extended range tests my system from popular to classical music.  Madonna has been a singer that is hard to reproduce without climbing the walls.  Phil Collins is another from very recent memory.

The song included here (Madonna-Cherish from Celebrations (2009) 44.1k/16  flac) is a real test.  If you would like to download it and try for yourself just Click on the link, Check the box on the track, select Download, and Save to your drive.  For copyright purposes the song has been truncated slightly and included here for demo purposes only.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=636DC4E8060D66A1&id=636DC4E8060D66A1%21172

Here are my impressions of the Master 7 Inputs with this tune....

1. AP1+PP Input #1 - Big, deep bass but rhythmically tight with separation of synth bass and kick drum. Nice vocals - rarely anything other than normal sibilance.  The notes of the airy synthesizer during the chorus seem to hang in space.  Warmer sound compared to the other inputs but very detailed with nice sparkle that is evident in the choruses.

2. AP1+PP Input #3 - Not as much bass it seems as Input #1 but still plenty. Cooler sounding overall.  Space narrows.  Not bad but not as engaging as Input #1.  Some smearing of detail top to bottom.

3. USB32 - Similar to AP1+PP on Input #3 as being cooler sounding with narrower space as compare to Input #1.  Some edginess in the vocals with frequently too much breath (sibilance).  Not as much clear, distinct inner detail as Input #1.

The differences are slight but can be heard on my setup.  I'm not bothered at all by it.  I used the USB32 input for months and didn't think anything about it.  It's only when you have something else to compare that you notice (or not).  I would really be interested in other impressions if someone has a similar setup.

Good stuff.  If I am not mistaken input #1 and input #3 are completely different in their design.  The BNC input won't accept anything higher than 96khz.  I forgot the name of the chip Kingwa uses for the BNC input but you are not the first person I have read about who feels that it is superior to the RCA input.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #863 of 4,445
  Are you serious? I find the Wm8805 as sharp and accurate as a surgeon's knife. The only possible reason it could sound bad is if the oscillator that controls the WM8805 timing is poorly implemented.

I was certainly serious.
DIR9001 was clearer for me with both Audio gd NFB-10SE and SA-1. I don't know whether the oscillator you mention is better implemented at other dacs.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #865 of 4,445
I haven't read that sort of description of the WM8805 from any DAC review or test. But if true then I suspect that the DAC designers are not reading the manufacturer's recommendation of how to keep the oscillator circuit clean. Maybe they are thinking of adding an oscillator upgrade path at an extra cost?

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #868 of 4,445
  How long is the turnaround time for this DAC if I order through Audio GD site? 

The website says they are in stock, but you can ask via email to make sure.

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #869 of 4,445
He ships quickly, any product I ordered arrived in about 2 weeks in the USA .
Hope this helps

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #870 of 4,445
After reading all posts in this thread I decided to give it a try and ordered a Master 7. Since 2 weeks Master 7 has a firm place within my setup, and everyday I enjoy listening to the music. I strongly recommend Master 7 without any doubt as he is (to my ears) really a Master of DACs. I have posted a long review in my "home forum" www. aktives-hoeren.de (with some comparissons to other DACs).

Since I'm from Germany and the review is in german language I hope Google translator will do a good job in order to make my review understandable for everybody. Of course I will answer questions about my review here in this thread.

Direct link to my review: http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4451
Thanks a lot for all, who shared their experiences with Master 7 and helped me to make such a good decision.
beerchug.gif

Fujak

PS.: My setup: http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?p=71327#p71327

Users who are viewing this thread

Back