Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Apr 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #406 of 4,442
Quote:
After several weeks using nothing but USB32 I have gone back to the Audiophilleo 1 on Master 7 input #1.   It seems there is just more meat on the ribs with the AP 1/ Input #1 combo.  Fuller bass, clearer vocals (less edge), silky highs.  Very subtle but noticeable changes that enhance presence.  As much as I like USB32 the AP 1 seems like a better match for my ears - at least until I try something else.  Anyone else have a similar experience? 

What firmware were you using?
If you have #4, you might well try the spare firmware (#3 or #5, depending on the date of purchase) to add warmth and weight to the sound.

I've been going back and forth all week and to be honest the USB32 interface is excellent.  I've come to the conclusion there is no perceived difference in sound (AP1 vs USB32).  And if there is hard to detect and beyond resolution of my equipment and ears.  The Master 7 has USB firmware #4. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #407 of 4,442
I second that. I prefer using Hiface than usb32. It gives slight more body to the music.

Anyone know where to download version 1.1 driver? I want to try with the firmware #3.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #408 of 4,442
The V1.22 driver want to working with the #4 firmware.

The V1.1 driver want to working with the #3 firmware.
V1.1 driver download
http://www.audio-gd.com/Audio-gdUSB32forwindows384.rar

Change the firmware have two ways,
1, open the unit and swap the firmware chips.
2, download the flash tool reflash the firmware under Windows .
Tool download,before flash the firmware please read the guide careful, DON'T upload a fail file in the tool .
http://www.audio-gd.com/USB32firmware.rar

A lot users can flash succeed but few users have fail.
The #4 firmware consider sound more neutral by users feedback.
The #3 firmware consider sound slight warmer.
The #4 is newest. If you are afraid the upgrade will fault, please ask in headfi, some people may willing to help other users upgrade by computer remote control.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #409 of 4,442
I wanted to have two USB32 inputs in my Master 7, but Kingwa told me that there isn't enough power available on the board for two, so I decided to experiment with I2S from the DI V3 instead. Thankfully, when Kingwa sent my upgrade board, he included a bunch of internal cables, including a long I2S cable.  Once I figured out the pin-out for it for input #5, I carefully twisted the cable (to reduce interference), plugged it into the board and threaded it through one of the top vent holes. From there it goes into the DI, which is sitting with the top off, but upside-down (though with rubber feet added to prevent scratching). This bypasses the need for using the RJ45 connectors and extra connections. With the DI PSU feeding the DI, there is no sound difference compared to the in-built USB32.  

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #410 of 4,442
Quote:
I wanted to have two USB32 inputs in my Master 7, but Kingwa told me that there isn't enough power available on the board for two, so I decided to experiment with I2S from the DI V3 instead.

Interesting...  I'm glad the Master 7 has an I2S input.  It's the next logical step for upgrade - whatever that may be. 

Quote:
The #4 is newest. If you are afraid the upgrade will fault, please ask in headfi, some people may willing to help other users upgrade by computer remote control.

Thank you Kingwa for the warning.  I upgraded the Reference 5.32 to USB32 firmware #4.  Followed the instructions explicitly and did not have any problems.    

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #411 of 4,442

got my m7 this afternoon. start with photo first. will wait for 500 hrs to see how its impression will be.

what i am going to do with m7:
- CD-7 as transport. bnc to m7-bnc.  Then m7 analog balance out to korg mr-2000 to record dsd.
   i dont use eac to rip cd or upsample to 24/192. when you listen to how korg to reproduce the music,
   you will forget eac thinking.  performance is very close to original source. 

- normal playback with cd-7 

initial impression is positive. 

now , go back to the problem :
 coaxial output of korg is not function. giving click click sound even there is no music playback, 
      look like bit unmatch sound. i am not so sure, need to get another dac to test it.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #412 of 4,442
ok, fixed the problem. 

mr ho also gave me this hint. should be the the coaxial power output of korg is unmatched to coaxial input of m7.
then, i used the same coaxial cable with one end rca, another end rca-bnc adaptor and plugged it  to no.1 bnc, bingo, it works!!!!
now, can use korg as a wave player but limited to 24/96. 

no. is aes, does it work to make a cable one end rca one end aes ?  (no.2 supports 24/192) please give some idea.

thank you.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #415 of 4,442
Thanks kingwa, I manage to upload the firmware to try but some how I still prefer the sound from Hiface. Maybe just my setup.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #417 of 4,442

This is my i2s cabling from di-v3 (with 10.00 power supply)  to #5 i2s input.
length: 8 inches.
brand name of cable and head: amp 
this girl who helped me to cut it into this 8 inches size told me amp is a famous brand name and  very good quality for networking industry. 
 this need someone to verify.

how much? very very expensive........ only 3.00 !!!!

comparsion between #6 usb and #5  i2s  input will give impression soon, give some more time for burn-in.
initially impression i will take i2s .

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #418 of 4,442
Hi folks,

after reading the excellent review of Currawong and after reading 28 pages of this thread I'm hardly thinking about buying a Master 7. But given the fact, that there's no return policy, I want to ask the owner of a Master 7 (rsp. upgraded Reference 7.1) whether there are alternatives / competitors compared to the Master 7 within the range up to 2,500 $. An answer would be very helpful making a decision.

Thanks in advance
Fujak

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #419 of 4,442
Hi folks,

after reading the excellent review of Currawong and after reading 28 pages of this thread I'm hardly thinking about buying a Master 7. But given the fact, that there's no return policy, I want to ask the owner of a Master 7 (rsp. upgraded Reference 7.1) whether there are alternatives / competitors compared to the Master 7 within the range up to 2,500 $. An answer would be very helpful making a decision.

Thanks in advance
Fujak
There are two DACs that preproman has besides the Master 7 that compares. The PWD II & Buffalo III. I would also throw out the Lynx Hilo. All have their own influence and all are top notch performers in your price range. Of course your gear will have an impact as well but the Master 7 is indeed one special DAC at the top of the A gd lineup. It's always mentioned as a top competitor.

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #420 of 4,442
Happy Camper, thanks for your answer.
I currently use a dedicated Audio-PC (JPlay) -> Hiface (with external PSU) -> Apogee Big Ben (used as Reclocker) -> RME Fireface UC (on Adam Tensor Epsilon + Sub). The new DAC should be superior over this chain.
Of course it is impossible to decide theoretically, I just want some kind of orientation. So beside the mentioned PWD II and your Lynx Hilo I wonder whether the brandnew Yulong D8, the NAD M51 or the T+A DAC8 would also be a serious competitor to the Master 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back