Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Sep 3, 2012 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4,442

DarknightDK

500+ Head-Fier
Looks like the Ref 7.1 has been replaced with the Master 7 as of today.

Link: http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN.htm

[size=medium][size=x-small]What's new in the Master 7[/size][/size][size=medium][size=x-small]:[/size][/size][size=x-small] [/size]
[size=medium]       [/size][size=x-small]   Since the Reference 7.1 release , already have more than 20 months . We spend more than 10 months test , now release the Master 7 .
          Master 7 is the ultimate design of the PCM1704 chips  .
          The full new design DSP processor solder on the main board direct for best signal transfer and faster process data and clock , it bring the detail transparency and dynamic  to another field than all other audio-gd DACs , it is allow users adjudgement the flaws or how beautiful of the source and records  if match with a revealing amp  .
           It support up to 32bit / 192KHz through USB and I2S input, 24bit / 192KHz through SPDIF inputs ( NOS, 2X , 4X and 8X oversampling support . ).
           There is no compromise building , have not any parts can for upgrade , built in all audio grade parts , OCC wires, TCXO , ect .
           It is a full new design concept  . The SPDIF inputs have applied specialty interface process the data, this is allow the best parameter design for different type SPDIF inputs.
[/size]
[size=x-small]           IN1 : BNC input, ultra neutral , monitor and revealing allow users hear anythings in the records ,up to 24bit / 96KHz support  .
           IN2: AES input, neutral , up to 24bit / 192KHz support . 
           IN3, RCA coaxial input, neutral , up to 24bit / 192KHz support .
           IN4, optical input , neutral , up to 24bit / 96KHz support .
           IN5 , I2S input, ultra neutral , monitor and revealing allow users hear anythings in the records , ,up to 32bit / 192KHz support  . 
           IN6 , USB input, ultra neutral , monitor and revealing allow users hear anythings in the records , ,up to 32bit / 192KHz support  .  (In Non-USB version, IN6 is I2S input) 
[/size]

[size=x-small]Fully  balanced discrete analog stages without any OPA and couple caps in the signal channels.
Non- feedback ACSS analog output stage .

Total of 21 groups dedicated power circuits ( 19 groups of high-quality class A parallel connection PSU with dedicated DC supply double-stage PSU ) and more than 50,000uF caps  are used to purify the power supply. 
[/size]
[size=x-small]USB Audio Class 2 High-speed Input from Windows / MAC / Linux 
Supports High / full speed Asynchronous Transfer Mode up to 384K / 32Bit ability . 
Resolutions support 16 / 24 / 32 Bit with sampling rate support 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz ( USB / I2S  )
[/size][size=x-small]       [/size]
[size=x-small]Supports up to 24 Bit/192KHz ( SPDIF  )[/size]

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 4,442
I wonder how the Master 7 stacks up against the Ref 7.1 and if there is indeed any noticeable difference in sound quality.

Interesting that Kingwa has come up with a design that can best the Ref 7.1 which I hold in high esteem. From the looks of it, the Ref 7.1 is going to be phased out and replaced by the Master 7.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 4,442
People act like the Ref 7.1 is a giant-killer. It's not.

Good DAC, but there's plenty of room for improvement I feel. Looking forward to seeing some comparisons between the M7 and Ref7.1.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 4,442
It looks like Kingwa turned some attention on the clock and jitter issues, as the printlayout is shorter and more effective around the digital parts.

I think its part because of the experience the dsp couldnt remove the jitter completely. A proof that the transport still mattered. I think by adding the asynch 8802/usb32, tcxo, excellent layout, he have reduced most, if not nearly all, of the low freq jitter the dual pll in the dsp couldnt remove on the data jitter. I dont know if this will improve sound, but the potential is certainly there.

I think the design choices will filter down to all 1704 products -> ref 10.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 4,442
i2s inputs too.  I wonder if you could take the 12s from the offramp 5 directly into the master 8.  I understand that many transports/dacs wire their i2s connections completely differently

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 4,442
Another thing now I will want to upgrade too.  Wonderful.  <sigh>  Not that soon though.  I have no need for I2S and have already optimized my transport for the Ref 7.1, so it's not really necessary but maybe in time I'll upgrade.  For people who use USB I could certainly see the advantages here over the 7.1.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 4,442
According to Kingwa (through my emails with him), he did mention that the Master 7 sounds quite different to the Ref 7.1 with a 'monitor' and 'analytical' sound. The Master 7 seems to have better detail, dynamics and transparancy as compared to the Ref 7.1. According to Kingwa, this is only apparent with a good quality source as the Master 7 was created to reveal the source material and does not add any coloration or sound of its own. Kingwa did say that it may not suit everyone's preference as it may not sound as 'musical' compared to other DACs as the Master 7 is more ideal for studio monitoring purposes.

The design of the Master 7 is identical to the Ref 7.1, except for the digital section and upgraded internal wiring. Apparently, this made a noticable difference to the sound of the DAC.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 4,442
This design is similar to NFB7.1 instead, with only difference on the many digital parts. The analog and psu section are the same,
M7 BNC input is via dir9001, which makes it 24/96 only.
This variation is likely be not for all, unless the 5 sets a new benchmark somewhere. Ref7.1 will still be mainstream. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 4,442
Quote:
This design is similar to NFB7.1 instead, with only difference on the many digital parts. The analog and psu section are the same,
M7 BNC input is via dir9001, which makes it 24/96 only.
This variation is likely be not for all, unless the 5 sets a new benchmark somewhere. Ref7.1 will still be mainstream. 

True.  I spoke to Kingwa about it and he said that this version will not suit the taste of many and the Ref7.1 will continue to be the mainstream reference dac.  However, if one wants a higher level of transparency, detail and dynamics, then this dac will do just that.  Not everyone wants a highly resolving dac.  But the enhancements to the design has clearly lowered the jitter as mentioned above.

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 4,442
Quote:
It looks like Kingwa turned some attention on the clock and jitter issues, as the printlayout is shorter and more effective around the digital parts.

I think its part because of the experience the dsp couldnt remove the jitter completely. A proof that the transport still mattered. I think by adding the asynch 8802/usb32, tcxo, excellent layout, he have reduced most, if not nearly all, of the low freq jitter the dual pll in the dsp couldnt remove on the data jitter. I dont know if this will improve sound, but the potential is certainly there.

I think the design choices will filter down to all 1704 products -> ref 1

Krumme's post nailed it on the spot with this.  The DSP-1 is fantastic but what I found was the transport feeding in a low jitter source improved the performance of the Ref7.1.  I've listened to a system that used a Synchro Mesh reclocker between the CD7SE and Ref7.1 via the BNC connections.  Without the Mesh, the music sounded a bit veiled.  This showed that the DSP-1/Ref7.1 performed better when provided with a digital feed thats lower in jitter.  Suspect that the Master 7 will level the field now, especially with the enhancement to the BNC input.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 4,442
Looks like the first 5 units has been sold. Anyone from here getting one? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back