Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jul 14, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #2,866 of 4,446
DACLadder are you using the Gustard U12 instead of the OR5 now, why? And didn’t you prefer the Yggy to the M7?

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #2,868 of 4,446
DACLadder are you using the Gustard U12 instead of the OR5 now, why? And didn’t you prefer the Yggy to the M7?

I'm an engineer and enjoy screwing around with new products. At $169 for the U12 the price is right and sounds remarkably very good. The OR5 is more liquid but not leaps and bounds surprisingly. I do have a USB connection issue with the U12 and my setup. So no support with the U12 is my major beef with the product.

The Yggy is a nice DAC and requires a long break in but so did my M7. I like both DACs. The M7 is warmer with with a prominent mid-bass and down which I really enjoy in my system. The Yggy is more clinical and precise with tight but not extended bass. After the dust settles one does not blow away the other. The M7 requires a low jitter source to sound its best while the Yggy's USB interface is very well done.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #2,869 of 4,446
I'm an engineer and enjoy screwing around with new products. At $169 for the U12 the price is right and sounds remarkably very good. The OR5 is more liquid but not leaps and bounds surprisingly. I do have a USB connection issue with the U12 and my setup. So no support with the U12 is my major beef with the product.

The Yggy is a nice DAC and requires a long break in but so did my M7. I like both DACs. The M7 is warmer with with a prominent mid-bass and down which I really enjoy in my system. The Yggy is more clinical and precise with tight but not extended bass. After the dust settles one does not blow away the other. The M7 requires a low jitter source to sound its best while the Yggy's USB interface is very well done.

In earlier posts, both you and Purrin seemed to indicate the Yggy demolished the M7. Is that no longer your view?

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2,870 of 4,446
Read here in this thread in the silence :)
And now I bought an Master 7 with M2Tech Evo I2S adaptor. What a gret upgrade from AudioGD Sa 1.32, The master 7 sounds huge.

I am using coax from Cd player to the dac, and found that the bnc input sounds more chill and laid back than the coax rca input,, someone tried to use different inputs from the same source? :)

Tor-S, Norway

The two SPDIF interfaces utilize different receiver chips. The BNC input uses the Texas Instrument DIR9001 receiver and is my favorite of the two. But only works up to 96khz. The RCA input is another chip and supports up to 192khz. And yes they each have a different sound.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #2,871 of 4,446
DACLadder, I noticed you used the Transient MKII at one point! Do you remember how it sounded? How it compares with the Gustard? 

I bought the Transient not too long ago and thought it an improvement over the DI....

But now I'm wondering about the Gustard...it seems like such a bargain.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #2,872 of 4,446
In earlier posts, both you and Purrin seemed to indicate the Yggy demolished the M7. Is that no longer your view?

I wish I would have waited to comment on the Yggdrasil as it takes longer than the stated 165 hrs to fully bloom. I was infatuated initially by its detail, speed, and nimble bass. But it is clinical and very neutral. The Master 7 on the other hand is billed as neutral but to me is warm and comforting. The Yggy is said to be "digital vinyl" but I think the Master 7 sounds more like my turntable. Hope this clarifies what I am experiencing up to this point and I like both DACs.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #2,873 of 4,446
I wish I would have waited to comment on the Yggdrasil as it takes longer than the stated 165 hrs to fully bloom. I was infatuated initially by its detail, speed, and nimble bass. But it is clinical and very neutral. The Master 7 on the other hand is billed as neutral but to me is warm and comforting. The Yggy is said to be "digital vinyl" but I think the Master 7 sounds more like my turntable. Hope this clarifies what I am experiencing up to this point and I like both DACs.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting my Yggy and comparing. I'm now also intrigued by the Gustard U12 for my M7. Currently, I'm going straight from my iMac into the M7's USB input. It seems like maybe the U12 might bring some improvement?

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #2,874 of 4,446
DACLadder, I noticed you used the Transient MKII at one point! Do you remember how it sounded? How it compares with the Gustard? 

I bought the Transient not too long ago and thought it an improvement over the DI....

But now I'm wondering about the Gustard...it seems like such a bargain.

The Transient mkII performs well and use it at work. With the M7 and compared to the OR5 it was a little dryer sounding and the soundstage not quite as wide. But that is about it. The Gustard U12 may be just a little more liquid but not by much. And I am using the HDMI I2S interface in all cases.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #2,875 of 4,446

I too enjoy “screwing around”, clinical sound not so much 
wink.gif

BTW Audio GD now has a new USB Interface the Amanero Combo 384 for 90 USD, so maybe a separate USB converter want be “needed” anymore or at least not as important.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #2,876 of 4,446

I too enjoy “screwing around”, clinical sound not so much 
wink.gif

BTW Audio GD now has a new USB Interface the Amanero Combo 384 for 90 USD, so maybe a separate USB converter want be “needed” anymore or at least not as important

Hope somebody can compare Amanero and VIA USB modules of AGD.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #2,877 of 4,446
  Hope somebody can compare Amanero and VIA USB modules of AGD.

+1

I would also be interested in a compare between the Master 7 to the DAC in Master 11. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #2,878 of 4,446

+1

I would also be interested in a compare between the Master 7 to the DAC in Master 11. 

That one as well. I am slowly changing my mind of saving up for the Yggy in favour of Master 11. The post of DACladder above and one owner of Master 11 in another thread who wants to sell his Raggy rig since he prefers the Master 11 makes me think twice (or 3x.)

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,879 of 4,446

That one as well. I am slowly changing my mind of saving up for the Yggy in favour of Master 11. The post of DACladder above and one owner of Master 11 in another thread who wants to sell his Raggy rig since he prefers the Master 11 makes me think twice (or 3x.)

I was going to sell my M7 when the hype was at its peak with the Yggy so I reached out to 3 people with closed M7 classified to ask how much they sold their M7 for. I was trying to gauge a reasonable and doable price. Two of those people replied that after hearing the Yggy they preferred the M7 and closed their classified. The third person didn't respond. I won't repeat what they said but at that point I said forget it, I'll have to hear the Yggy first, I like M7 too much! I still haven't heard the Yggy but maybe this will make you think 4 times :wink: There seems to be a disproportionately large number of M7 classifieds since March...

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2,880 of 4,446
The Yggy came along with a well executed hype machine that would make any audio company proud.  I would wait till it calms down.  Anyway whats the hurry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back