Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Nov 9, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #2,221 of 2,556
I too just have had the update made to my M11. Coincidently I am using the SU-1 as well. 

Note I haven't cut the Amanero wire as outlined in the instructions - don't think this is necessary as I am using the SU-1 instead of the Amanero board.

My initial impressions are good. Tight and controlled bass. Mids a clear with a slight rise towards the highs. The highs are clear.

My settings are PLL disabled and 8x oversampling.

Going to need more time to properly evaluate but my quick impressions will help anyone decide if they would like to update their M11.

Nov 9, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #2,222 of 2,556
What is the process? I emailed Audio-gd already with the info they requested, have not receive any response.
Am I just login to TeamViewer and wait?

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #2,223 of 2,556
Eventually they'll reply back confirming the time. 

Near the allocated time, they will send you an email requesting the teamviewer ID and password.

Provided that you've set everything up on your end correctly, then the update process should take no more than 5 mins.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,224 of 2,556
When they say mention the "series number" of the unit that just means mention it is a M11 right? Or are they asking for the serial number?

Just want to be sure to include all the correct details in the email.

Also what was the update time window again? What time did you guys end up having it updated so far? For the ones that already got it done.

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #2,225 of 2,556
When they say mention the "series number" of the unit that just means mention it is a M11 right? Or are they asking for the serial number?

Just want to be sure to include all the correct details in the email.

Also what was the update time window again? What time did you guys end up having it updated so far? For the ones that already got it done.

On the back of the unit - located near the IEC power plug - there is a sticker with a number which begins with M11-XXXXXX, this is the serial number they are after. 

The update window is; Monday, Wednesday, Friday; and between 7 to 10 pm Chinese time (+8 GMT).

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2,226 of 2,556
On the back of the unit - located near the IEC power plug - there is a sticker with a number which begins with M11-XXXXXX, this is the serial number they are after. 

The update window is; Monday, Wednesday, Friday; and between 7 to 10 pm Chinese time (+8 GMT).

Great, thanks for the help!

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #2,227 of 2,556
Did anyone do the upgrade with Quartus 16.0 or has everyone so far used the 12.1 that was posted by Audio-gd?

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #2,228 of 2,556
Did anyone do the upgrade with Quartus 16.0 or has everyone so far used the 12.1 that was posted by Audio-gd?

I used 12.1. I asked on another forum about this and the general consensus was to use 12.1. Reasoning being compatibility issues with the blaster. But best to ask Kingwa.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #2,229 of 2,556
I used 12.1. I asked on another forum about this and the general consensus was to use 12.1. Reasoning being compatibility issues with the blaster. But best to ask Kingwa.

Got word back from Kingwa that 16.0 should be fine 
smile.gif

Got an appointment booked for 3 AM PST Friday 
eek.gif

At least it is a long weekend after tomorrow so I would likely be up around that time anyways 
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #2,230 of 2,556
I got an appointment too, tomorrow at 4AM...

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #2,232 of 2,556
Been doing more critical listening. Experiences have been positive so far.

Originally I thought my HE-1000's were a little too laid back in sound signature. However, this update has changed that perception. Its now mightily dynamic, in particular the bass and sub-bass. Mids are more present and give more weight to vocals - particularly male vocals. Highs are a tad more elevated but not sibilant.

Overall its a fantastic update. Especially when it is free..

Never been the person to write reviews but I hope it's a good indication for others.

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #2,233 of 2,556
Alright guys, just finished getting the update done and I have some useful information for anyone else looking to do the update.

I went through quite a bit of frustration before we could successfully get it done (all on my end of course, whoever was doing the update on Audio-gd end was awesome and very patient with me, haha). 

All of a sudden today I was getting very random blue screens of death on Windows whenever I had the USB blaster hooked up to my computer. Sometimes it would happen when opening the Quartus software, sometimes it would just happen when nothing was open... totally random. But pretty much exactly what @DACLadder was experiencing.

We tried to do the update several times over TeamViewer and it was failing and giving a error message "can't access JTAG chain". On top of that... my computer would crash with the BSOD right in the middle of the TeamViewer session, leading to more back and forth emails trying to figure out the situation. 

Eventually I figured it was my cheapo Ebay knockoff USB blaster causing the problem so we gave up on it.

Then I continued thinking to myself what the issue could be and began thinking about the whole difference between Quartus 16.0 and 12.1 again. It would make sense that the newer version somehow isn't compatible with knockoff blasters (maybe they updated it to block knockoff products). So I uninstalled 16.0, deleted the 16.0 drivers from Device Manager and got myself a copy of the 12.1 standalone programmer/drivers. Right away I could tell there was a difference... the Quartus program was no longer hanging and freezing and doing a JTAG debug, it was immediately successful. So I once again contacted Audio-gd and we tried it again. BOOM, successful immediately, no issues whatsoever.

So the lesson learned... DO NOT use 16.0 if you have a knock-off blaster. Use 12.1 version!

All you need is the STANDALONE VERSION... do not bother downloading the versions that are 2-3 GB, you are wasting your time. Also, I wouldn't try to attempt to download the version they offer on the Audio-gd website... it requires 3rd party Chinese software where you won't understand what's going on unless you read Chinese 
tongue.gif

Here is a link to the standalone version (only 143 MB), directly from the Altera website. You will have to quickly make a free account to download it:

https://www.altera.com/downloads/software/prog-software/121.html

MAKE SURE if you installed 16.0 drivers that you delete them from your Device Manager and install the ones from the 12.1 folder instead! Just tell Windows to manually find the drivers and you will find them in C:\Program Files\qprogrammer\drivers

After that, it should be smooth sailing, no matter if you have a knock off USB blaster or not! I'm assuming 16.0 version should be fine for legit blasters but for us folks trying to save some money, stick to 12.1 to ensure success!

Hope this helps somebody avoid the frustration I went through. 
biggrin.gif

Now... onto listening to this new DSP! 

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #2,234 of 2,556
... 3 hours later... this freakin' update is great.

I need to go to sleep 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back