Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Jul 31, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #226 of 2,556
Sorry I mean in the sense that the impedance curve of the HD800 results in a bass boost the higher the output impedance is.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #227 of 2,556
Anyone know if there will be any import duty to get it shipped in USA? Just wanna know total damage. I will be using it with my computer. Should I still choose hdmi option?
Thank you

You don't need an HDMI input at all. You'll connect your computer to the M11 via USB cable.

However, I did chose Option #1, "Custom order HDMI replace RJ45 I2S input". This is in case I ever decide to use a USB-> I2S converter with it. I don't plan to at the moment though as the included Amanero board (USB input) has a good reputation and bimmer confirms that it sounds really good on the M11.

Do not order Option #2, "Custom order HDMI replace USB input". You'll lose your USB input!

Regarding customs, I only finalized my order/options today so I can't say yet. I've sent you a PM with a tad bit more info though.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #228 of 2,556
You don't need an HDMI input at all. You'll connect your computer to the M11 via USB cable.

However, I did chose Option #1, "Custom order HDMI replace RJ45 I2S input". This is in case I ever decide to use a USB-> I2S converter with it. I don't plan to at the moment though as the included Amanero board (USB input) has a good reputation and bimmer confirms that it sounds really good on the M11.

Do not order Option #2, "Custom order HDMI replace USB input". You'll lose your USB input!

Regarding customs, I only finalized my order/options today so I can't say yet. I've sent you a PM with a tad bit more info though.

Thank you

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #230 of 2,556
  Subbed.

I wonder why Kingwa is still using the L / R, 3-pin XLR output?  IMO the amp would look much better with just the 4-pin and SE outputs

Because it would cost more to make new cases than to reuse the M9 case :wink:  Same reason he reuses the same transformer board, amp board, relay volume control, logic boards from one model to another etc.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #231 of 2,556
Subbed.

I wonder why Kingwa is still using the L / R, 3-pin XLR output?  IMO the amp would look much better with just the 4-pin and SE outputs
My balanced stuff seems only have 3 pin xlr outputs / inputs for balanced operation.

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #232 of 2,556
For the rear outputs, yes it should be 3 pin XLRs.

But for the headphone out on the front, the 2x 3 pin XLRs aren't needed.

*Please let this week go by quickly so I can finally get this thing into my system!*

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #233 of 2,556
Twin 3 pin XLR sockets allows the option of having separate ground wire for left/right driver. Most balanced headphones only have 4 wires (i.e. no ground wire connected). But some headphones, like the T1, has separated ground wires connected to the left/right driver brackets, also connected with the magnets to provide a bit extra shielding effect.

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #234 of 2,556
But some headphones, like the T1, has separated ground wires connected to the left/right driver brackets, also connected with the magnets to provide a bit extra shielding effect.

It has separate ground returns but still only 2 connections to the driver like every other headphone or speaker.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #235 of 2,556

Because it would cost more to make new cases than to reuse the M9 case :wink:  Same reason he reuses the same transformer board, amp board, relay volume control, logic boards from one model to another etc.

It would only need the face plate. Still makes sense to keep as little unique parts as possible. The real reason probably is just to have that feature. Even if most people don't use it. Too bad the connectors are ugly. Something like Mjolnir looks awesome.

*Please let this week go by quickly so I can finally get this thing into my system!*

You and me both. Apparently they had some problems and couldn't ship anything this week.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #236 of 2,556
I have the M7+M9 combo. Just to share over here. It takes roughly 500hours of burn-in on top of audio-gd factory burn-in. After complete burn-in, there's more improvements to the low-end bass depth and as well as a much lusher sound.

Also Do experiment with the PLL Jumper setting.

Kingwa also mentioned before that a high quality power cord do make a difference.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #237 of 2,556
Can anyone tell me if I can control the volume in DAC only mode?

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #238 of 2,556
No volume control in DAC mode. The point of DAC mode is to actually bypass the volume control. I'm not sure if DAC mode bypasses the amp as well or just outputs the signal at a fixed level?

You can set it to pre-amp mode though, which allows the M11 to control the volume if the amp you connect to has no volume control itself.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #239 of 2,556
I have the M7+M9 combo. Just to share over here. It takes roughly 500hours of burn-in on top of audio-gd factory burn-in. After complete burn-in, there's more improvements to the low-end bass depth and as well as a much lusher sound.

Also Do experiment with the PLL Jumper setting.

Kingwa also mentioned before that a high quality power cord do make a difference.
Sounds intreging! I looked it up. The PLL is the on-board system clock? What can be expected from the different jumper settings? 500 hours of burn in. Is that with music playing through it? I assume so. How high quality a power cord. My home was built in the 1960's. The wiring is old. Sometimes I haul a kit out to where the only outlet is a ancient 6 plug outlet. A horror show. When I got my HDVD800 amp, the seller threw in a computer grade power cable. Amp sounded great. I had a big fat power cable laying about that belonged to,a 100 watt Orange guitar amp. A beast of an amp. Big fat cable looked cooler than the computer cable so I tried it. It actually sounds better. Thanks for the encouragement :D

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #240 of 2,556
Playing back music will accelerate the burn-in process. 

DAC also require warm up time to sound better(usually 6hours or more when new). After burn-in, it takes only a few(3-4) hours to stabliize to a very nice sounding mode.

PLL on means audio-gd will reclock the incoming audio data to it's own DSP internal timing clock. While PLL off means the dac bases the timing on your input source. So if your source has bad jitter, it's best to leave PLL On. but if your source has very low jitter, you might want try PLL OFF since PLL will also introduce it's own form of noise/distortion.

For my setup(hydra-x I2S), disabling PLL resulted in a more natural sounding bass vs the "tuddy" bass with PLL on. Also it removes a tiny layer of stringency. Your results will vary depending on your digital input. (as well as listening preferences and gear). 

Experimenting with the PLL won't hurt as opening up your audio-gd dac doesn't void your warranty.

Also my current software music player of choice is MusicBee(Windows) + ASIO. Worth a try(sounds better than foobar/audiogate/itunes to me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back