Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Nov 16, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #2,267 of 2,556
  Same here:  I have the blaster, but I have the Reference 5.32, and I need a step-by-step guide for the dsp upgrade, and t would be good to have the steps all in one place.  So far, I have read bits and pieces about posters downloading this and that, but I need a step-by-step guide.  By the way, My Reference 5.32 is hooked up to a Macmini, in case there are guidelines that are specific to Macs.

Thanks for the help.

I don't think there is a version of the Quartus software for the Mac, so you might be out of luck. It would be best to use a Windows PC if you have one laying around.

As far as I know, Quartus only supports Windows and Linux... and even with Linux, I don't know if TeamViewer is compatible with that.

Windows seems to be the way to go.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #2,268 of 2,556
Yes. All of the switchs are set to the off position.
I get music out of the RCA Digital out on the SU-1 but not from HDMI.
Thanks!

Hmm... I'm not sure then. What kind of HDMI cable are you running? Maybe try a different one? 

Hopefully the HDMI on either the SU-1 or M11 is not defective.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #2,269 of 2,556

I don't think there is a version of the Quartus software for the Mac, so you might be out of luck. It would be best to use a Windows PC if you have one laying around.

As far as I know, Quartus only supports Windows and Linux... and even with Linux, I don't know if TeamViewer is compatible with that.

Windows seems to be the way to go.

Yes, I have a windows machine that i could use for the upgrade, but do you know whether I can revert to using the DAC with my macmini without problems after the upgrade (and after using windows for the upgrade)?

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #2,270 of 2,556
  Yes, I have a windows machine that i could use for the upgrade, but do you know whether I can revert to using the DAC with my macmini without problems after the upgrade (and after using windows for the upgrade)?

Oh of course, there should be no problem going back to using your Macmini afterwards. There's no reason the update would affect compatibility of the DAC with Mac products. It just has some sound improvements, that's all.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #2,271 of 2,556

No problem at all. My upgrade was done on a Windows laptop and my source for the DAC is a Macbook.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #2,273 of 2,556

BTW, I also own a Ref 5.32 upgraded to NOS 5 and Amanero USB. What a JOY!!

I guess I am going to follow the same upgrade path then. I have not done the NOS upgrade, so I need to ask how it compares with the pre-upgrade version.  Also, did you install the Amanero board by yourself, if I may ask that too?

Thanks.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,274 of 2,556

Oh of course, there should be no problem going back to using your Macmini afterwards. There's no reason the update would affect compatibility of the DAC with Mac products. It just has some sound improvements, that's all.

Good to know. Thanks.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,275 of 2,556
Nov 17, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #2,276 of 2,556
  I guess I am going to follow the same upgrade path then. I have not done the NOS upgrade, so I need to ask how it compares with the pre-upgrade version.  Also, did you install the Amanero board by yourself, if I may ask that too?

Thanks.

Before upgrade I was using my Ref in NOS mode, which I enjoyed more than standard 8X. After upgrade everything became more coherent, a really big improvement. I don't know how it compares now with the new DSP version in NOS mode, but according to Kingwa, if you like NOS character, the NOS modification is the way to go (which seems pretty logical to me).

I did install the board myself, you just need to 'cut' one corner of the board in order to make it fit with one of the covers of the PCM-1704UK chips. One more thing I had to do, but not sure if it's everybody case, is solder the cable terminals to the board as it came separately. There's also a couple of cables you need to solder to the DSP board.

Follow this instructions: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/amanero384-combo-meets-audio-gd-reference-5-32-dac.678802/

Cheers!

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #2,277 of 2,556
Has anyone had the opportunity to hear some T1 2nd gen//Ether Flow with a NOS11?

Thx in advance :wink:

Enviado desde mi H1

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #2,278 of 2,556
Hey guys. I remember reading someones steps in either this thread or the Master 7 thread of making sure everything is good to go before updating his/hers DSP. I have a cheap ebay Altera USB Blaster with drivers installed and apparently the USB Blaster is detected in Quartus 12.1 . What else is left to do in order to insure a smooth update? I dont seem to have output_file.jic as listed on agd website

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #2,279 of 2,556
  Hey guys. I remember reading someones steps in either this thread or the Master 7 thread of making sure everything is good to go before updating his/hers DSP. I have a cheap ebay Altera USB Blaster with drivers installed and apparently the USB Blaster is detected in Quartus 12.1 . What else is left to do in order to insure a smooth update?

If you want, you can hook everything up (even hook up the blaster to the DAC and your computer) as though you were going to do the real update. And then in the Quartus 12.1 software hit Tools -> JTAG Chain Debugger, and then you can hit "Test JTAG Chain". If you get a "success" message, then you should pretty much be good to go when you do the actual update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back