Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Nov 14, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2,251 of 2,556
  Just upgraded, and although I can say that NOS mode is now working for Master-11.  Running M11 NOS with 130dB stop band gives me the closest to Yggy, although M11 still sounds a tad darker/denser than Yggy, it comes down to preferences and mood really now, maybe with HD800S, M11 will be better, I'm listening on Elear atm.  I was comparing 2x OS with 50dB in the above post, will revisit that setup soon and comment.

Really? M11 in NOS mode sounds closer to the Yggy?

I would think that default settings (8x OS) would sound closer and the NOS settings would take the sound in a different direction.

I haven't tried any of the other settings yet after the update as I enjoy 8x quite a lot. Pre-update there was a lot of imbalance so it wasn't very testable. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #2,252 of 2,556
I only been playing with NOS, will have to go back 8x... so sorry for the confusion, it's closest with 130dB stop band, but you're right I agree that NOS is perhaps too warm compared to Yggy.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #2,253 of 2,556
  I only been playing with NOS, will have to go back 8x... so sorry for the confusion, it's closest with 130dB stop band, but you're right I agree that NOS is perhaps too warm compared to Yggy.

Even both had working under NOS mode , the NOS7  made the sound less warm but still soft compare to the Master 7 .
If you only like NOS mode, should try the NOS7's firmware.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #2,254 of 2,556
Kingwa, a question for you and anybody else that likes to keep their M11 on 24/7 to keep it "warmed up".

I notice after 3-4 days of on time, the sound quality of the M11 changes (soundstage becomes narrow, worsening of sound quality). A restart of the M11 and 5-10 warm up again and the M11 seems to be back to normal sound quality.

Not a big issue but just curious, what is the technological cause of this?

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #2,255 of 2,556
Can anybody please advise as to how does it sound compare to something like 

Oppo HA-1
Sennheiser HDVD 800

I am looking to pair with Sennheiser HD800S and HiFiman Edition X V2.

I am based in Australia and Sennheiser and Oppo are more readily available and easier to fix if things go wrong, whereas Audio GD, I am not sure how the repair process work. 

I understand Kingwa has been very helpful around these posts. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #2,256 of 2,556
  Kingwa, a question for you and anybody else that likes to keep their M11 on 24/7 to keep it "warmed up".

I notice after 3-4 days of on time, the sound quality of the M11 changes (soundstage becomes narrow, worsening of sound quality). A restart of the M11 and 5-10 warm up again and the M11 seems to be back to normal sound quality.

Not a big issue but just curious, what is the technological cause of this?

I only keep mine on for 5 hours max. If there is an improvement to keeping the m11 on 24/7, then I would say that its diminishing returns at the cost to longevity of the amp.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #2,257 of 2,556
I am quite happy with my M11, over a year now. Does the new DSP offer anything useful, or is it just a "different strokes for different folks" type of situation?

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #2,258 of 2,556
  I am quite happy with my M11, over a year now. Does the new DSP offer anything useful, or is it just a "different strokes for different folks" type of situation?

Read the last couple pages of the thread. There are definitely benefits to be had and it's an improvement that everyone can enjoy. Would not say it's a different strokes for different folks deal. I'd say it's the same good ole' M11, just improved upon in a very good way.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,259 of 2,556
I went back to 8x, but thought that was a bit too bright for my taste, went o 4x with 130dB stop band, and wow, I think this setting is closest to Yggy.  I may try to change the stop band to tweak it a bit, add a tad more warmth.  Seriously thinking of selling the Yggy now.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #2,260 of 2,556

Read the last couple pages of the thread. There are definitely benefits to be had and it's an improvement that everyone can enjoy. Would not say it's a different strokes for different folks deal. I'd say it's the same good ole' M11, just improved upon in a very good way.

Thanks! Just ordered the blaster. 

My M11 is factory setting, do I need to do anything to special to prepare for the update, except installing the software, connecting the blaster, and booking a TeamViewer appointment? 

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #2,261 of 2,556

My M11 is factory setting, do I need to do anything to special to prepare for the update, except installing the software, connecting the blaster, and booking a TeamViewer appointment? 

Yea, I'd like to know this as well. I've got a Blaster, just need to know the steps, etc...

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,262 of 2,556
I am using J-River from a Windows 10 set : going USB out from computer to USB in on Singxer SU-1.
Output from SU-1 to the I2S input via HDMI on Master 11.
Can anyone share the correct J-River settings to communicate with the SU-1?
I get RCA S/PDIF correctly from the SU-1 to the Master 11 input 2. Music sounds fine.
I cant get HDMI I2S sound from input 5 on the Master 11. I only get a high pitched hum.
Any settings advice?
Thanks!

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #2,263 of 2,556
I am using J-River from a Windows 10 set : going USB out from computer to USB in on Singxer SU-1.
Output from SU-1 to the I2S input via HDMI on Master 11.
Can anyone share the correct J-River settings to communicate with the SU-1?
I get RCA S/PDIF correctly from the SU-1 to the Master 11 input 2. Music sounds fine.
I cant get HDMI I2S sound from input 5 on the Master 11. I only get a high pitched hum.
Any settings advice?
Thanks!

If you look on the bottom of the SU-1, are all the dip switches set to the default position of OFF? That's what the settings should be for Audio-gd products.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,264 of 2,556

Same here:  I have the blaster, but I have the Reference 5.32, and I need a step-by-step guide for the dsp upgrade, and t would be good to have the steps all in one place.  So far, I have read bits and pieces about posters downloading this and that, but I need a step-by-step guide.  By the way, My Reference 5.32 is hooked up to a Macmini, in case there are guidelines that are specific to Macs.

Thanks for the help.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,265 of 2,556

Yea, I'd like to know this as well. I've got a Blaster, just need to know the steps, etc...

http://audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7_384/DSPupdataEN.htm

Just make sure you have the 12.1 version of Quartus which can be found here: https://www.altera.com/downloads/software/prog-software/121.html

That is a standalone version which is all you need. Otherwise you will end up downloading some version that is a couple gigabytes which is not necessary.

Once the software is installed, you want to make sure you install the drivers that come with it so that your USB blaster is using these drivers. You can do this by selecting the USB blaster in Device Manager, updating the device drivers, and pointing Windows to the Quartus drivers folder (C:\Program Files\qprogrammer\drivers) or wherever that you installed the programmer to.

Contact Audio-gd and schedule a time. Those times listed on the website are not the only times available apparently (which is good because those posted times end up being in the middle of the night for most people). Kingwa stated that other times are available:

If the time is during your sleep time, send email to inform us, date a earlier time, maybe 2100 to 2400 in your country.
Our worktime is 0800-1200, 1330-1730,1900-2200. 

Once your time is scheduled, just have everything ready to go 15 minutes early.

Prior to the whole process you may want to give your computer a fresh restart just in case and have background programs closed. Empty your recycle bin. These are all just precautions, probably not absolutely necessary.

1. Turn off Master 11 before attaching the blaster to it! Otherwise you may damage your DAC.

2. After Master 11 is turned off and blaster has been attached and connected to your computer, you can turn the DAC back on. The main thing is just don't push/pull the connector while Master 11 is on.

3. Once DAC is back on, you can open up the Quartus programming software and have it ready. Open the TeamViewer software which is going to give you your Teamviewer ID and a password that is usually randomly generated everytime you start the program. 

4. Audio-gd will contact you around your appointment time and ask for your Teamviewer ID and password.

5. Once you send it, you should see Audio-gd take control of your computer shortly afterwards (message pops up in bottom right corner telling you someone is connected to your computer and your wallpaper might turn red.

6. At this point Audio-gd transfers their firmware file to your computer and uses the Quartus programmer to install it to the M11. You can just sit back and watch. After the process is successful, Audio-gd will delete the file that they transferred to your computer and then delete it from your Recycle Bin. You probably want to make sure nothing important is in your trash bin in case the agent hits Empty recycle bin :p

7. After firmware has been deleted from your computer, Audio-gd will disconnect the Teamviewer session and you are good to go! 

8. Turn off your Master 11, remove the USB blaster, turn Master 11 back on and enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back