Audio-gd HE-9 MK2
Jul 23, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #50 of 164
Funny but i am not surprised: last week, the he9 mkii had lost most staging abilities. They are now coming back. It is surprising, after 6 weeks of burn-in.
The unit has been brillant at times but is not cooked yet. I know it can do more. It's been very good for the last two days. But not brillant. Nearly excellent but not quite.
Being a no feedback design is likely the reason for such slow burn-in..

But the ultimate slow burn-in is with the Master series power amplifier. My own m3 took 3-4 month to wake up. If you don't belelieve in burn-in, and you want to stick to that position, buy something else. :)

The mkii is getting there. It is amost there in fact.
I had now similar experience with EF400. I did not like the unit from the beginning. Now after 1st month I would swear, the sound is better, the soundstage is opening. And I am sure, it is not brain psychoacoustic as I am often comparing it to my other amps. And I had similar experience with Audio-gd R2R 11 and C2 in the past.

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #51 of 164
I had now similar experience with EF400. I did not like the unit from the beginning. Now after 1st month I would swear, the sound is better, the soundstage is opening. And I am sure, it is not brain psychoacoustic as I am often comparing it to my other amps. And I had similar experience with Audio-gd R2R 11 and C2 in the past.
Audio-gd is known for long burn-in. The r2r-11 mkii is one of the quickest, but still takes 500h. The Master-3 takes a solid 4-6 months.

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #53 of 164
Yes, it smoother without loosing resolution, on the contrary. Never heard better for sure.
Just received mine. Your above definition is the most accurate one.. Even my old R28 (the DAC part of it) sounds amazing through HE9 Mk2 (and I only started to burn it in..). Very happy with the tonality! It is neutral yet musical and natural sounding.. I know many find it difficult to associate the three definitions with one device, but I would still state it this way.

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #55 of 164
You mean 4-6 months of music playing or just when it is powered on?
Does the idea of listening to music for 4-6 months sound unpleasant :D

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #56 of 164
Does the idea of listening to music for 4-6 months sound unpleasant :D
No, but it is just about 4320 hours. And I believe in burn-in, but I am quite sceptical about this amount of time, even that someone will remember the sound of the unit from 6 months ago and then will be able to compare to the actual one. :D

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #57 of 164
I use amp always in power on and appr. 90% of time under signal from dac.
May be 3-5 time per week turn it off for 1 hour then ON again. I don’t think it necessary but It changes temperature of unit and parts.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #59 of 164
No, but it is just about 4320 hours. And I believe in burn-in, but I am quite sceptical about this amount of time, even that someone will remember the sound of the unit from 6 months ago and then will be able to compare to the actual one. :D
I don't know but I would trust @FredA on this. He has a lot of experience with Audio-gd gear. And of course it's just to give you some expectations. Eventually you will burn it in whether it needs it or not. So my approach is just enjoy it and expect some ups and downs and that it will not show you all it has to give for a while yet :)

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #60 of 164
Kingwa just launched a new HE9 with linear power supplies instead of regenerative power. So cheaper to make and splendid performance/price ratio. The first power stage is pure class-A. The he9 mkii is on top, but the HE9 LE is much cheaper. Besides the first power stage, both units are identical. The H9 LE draws 11W less, so should run even cooler. A splendid value offer i must repeat.

http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE9LE/HE9LEEN.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back