Audio-gd Digital Interface
Apr 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #3,661 of 4,156
can you please name at least 1 (one) Di-v3 user which was able to use it a buffer 32 and lower in Jplay?

i've talked to a lot of Jplay+div3 users and none of them could

i wouldn't say that the reason is in specific PCs. on the same PC i was able to use the DI-DSP (te8802 based) in Directlink.
and, yes, te8802 is considered a trouble-maker because it needs more a powerful PC than any other in the market

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #3,662 of 4,156
Quote:
can you please name at least 1 (one) Di-v3 user which was able to use it a buffer 32 and lower in Jplay?

i've talked to a lot of Jplay+div3 users and none of them could

i wouldn't say that the reason is in specific PCs. on the same PC i was able to use the DI-DSP (te8802 based) in Directlink.
and, yes, te8802 is considered a trouble-maker because it needs more a powerful PC than any other in the market

You answered my question!

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3,665 of 4,156
I don't think that J-River page is an opinion of the quality of Kernel Streaming versus other modes.  Kernel streaming does not always work while wasapi has become the most stable output mode.  Under normal conditions there is really no difference in sound quality between event style and KS so J-river recommends the former because its more stable.  I think Wasapi may be more prone to hardware interrupts than KS though so KS is better for people who work on the same computers they store their music on.  I have a dedicated server that does nothing but play music so I can't tell any difference between the two. 

I havent had any issues with KS, strangely event mode WASAPI gave me issues with one of my transports. Timer mode wasapi is rock solid though. I think SQ of hese depends more on implementation of the player. I have heard event mode wasapi sound better on one player than KS on another. If you cant hear a difference I would chose whichever is most stable on your system.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3,666 of 4,156
About Windows 8 64bits, USB 3.0(Renesas/NEC - µPD72020) and driver issues:

1. USB3.0: I have to also restart DI when restart Windows. This didn't happen with USB2.0.
  2. ASIO worked fine first time, but then I can't get any should while track is running...
  3. JRiver 18: Can use KS and WASAPI - Event Style with lowest buffer without issues.
  4. JPLAY 5.1: KS with Buffers (128 Samples@44.1kHz, 256 Samples@96kHz, 512 Samples@192kHz), and WASAPI with Buffers (DirectLink@44.1kHz, DirectLink@96kHz, 4 Samples@192kHz)

The DI driver should be improved to work with Windows 8 64bits, and to handle less samples with KS in JPLAY (1 Sample = DirectLink).
The best setting should be 1 Sample / 44100 Hz = 0.00002ms.

At registry, I don't see the "VIA ASIO Driver" entry for 64bits [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO], but it's on 32bits [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASIO]

Kingwa, If I can help with some drivers tests... (I already sent you an email about this)

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #3,667 of 4,156
The spare firmware is the #5 for replace the default #4 in the DI-V3,  consider slight on the warmer sound flavor and have not I2S output , the #5 working with the V1.1 driver under windows, have not driver install necessary under mac and Linux.

I am using:
MacBook Pro i7 OS 10.7.5 via Pure Music.  
My dac is Grant Fidelity TD-11  24/96 USB -24/192 SPDIF.

I need help with driver compatibility issues I've read regarding firmware #.

I'm interested in:
DI -V3s. (USB input only)
TCXO upgrade
DI -PSU

firmware #5-- Is it warmer sounding than #4?

Which firmware will be asynchronous with my system?

Will I need and special drivers for 24/192 output via USB?

I would also appreciate help from others that have insight in this area!

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #3,668 of 4,156
I personally let my PSU for DI-V1 on all the time, and I didn't have any trouble with it for the last past two years, so I think you can do the same with the V3.

What power cable comes with the PSU? Is it upgradable with the standard plug type I forgot the name? Or is it even advisable to try for a cleaner power source?

Also how would you compare the V3 with PSU vs JK-SPDIF MKlll???

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3,669 of 4,156
My direct ABing was rather short and just FYI: I had the DI-V1 with the TCXO upgrade and have the DI-V3 with the TCXO upgrade as well...

At the moment, I can provide a little bit more experience after ca 25 hours with the DI-V3:

1. Many instruments sound more real, eg. saxophone, violin, piano, cymbals... and human voice too. Sound fidelity has improved a lot. Everything sounds better/much better in terms of accuracy.

2. Yes, it sounds like a veil has been removed but not sure about the "little more brightness". This is very tricky to describe: There is an overall increase in detail and fidelity everywhere but not at the cost of a shift to the treble. Bass is still there in a very good volume and I believe that it is extended and more detailed. The same with highs - extended and more detailed. Frequency balance is OK. I think that the overall sound can be perceived as "a little more bright" but this is rather due to the overall accuracy and detail increase and not due to a shift or a change in the frequency response. But my headphone amps are not bass-shy at all and I am unable to estimate possible effects of DI-V3 in different setups. The synergy with the following headphone chains is definitely great:
DI-V3>A-Gd-Ref1>LD MKVIIISe>Senn HD800
DI-V3>A-Gd-Ref1>A-Gd Phoenix>Senn HD800

---> I think that my DAC (A-Gd Ref One) loves better digital input. This turned out in the past and DI-V3 is a great step towards its full potential.

I hope that everything can be understood :) ... also hope that this will help you... and 'am curious about the experience of others...

One last note: I think that "the brightness" can have some relation to the TCXO upgrade itself. I had this feeling when I upgraded to the TCXO in my DI-V1. But do not take this too seriously, this is rather a speculative opinion based on my unreliable memory from quite distant past.

Thanks for the review, I'm thinking about ordering one also. Regarding brightness I read firmware #5 provides additional warmth without sacrificing resolution have you heard anything about it? I am hoping for a nice plug and play setup with my MBP / pure music. All the tech talk about drivers&firmware is making me nerves!!

How would you compare it to the JK mk 3?

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #3,670 of 4,156
Has anyone got the DI-V3 working with the Squeezebox Touch out of USB in asynch mode?

I asked Kingwa if this would work given that the SBT has LINUX on the ARM chipset and this was his reply:

"We have got few users feedback, the SBT with the newest plug software, the DI-V3 can work well.
But we can't ensure.
Kingwa"

Don't exactly understand what this means.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #3,671 of 4,156
Quote:
Has anyone got the DI-V3 working with the Squeezebox Touch out of USB in asynch mode?

I asked Kingwa if this would work given that the SBT has LINUX on the ARM chipset and this was his reply:

"We have got few users feedback, the SBT with the newest plug software, the DI-V3 can work well.
But we can't ensure.
Kingwa"

The SBT-EDO works well with DI-V3 in adaptive mode but not the Async mode.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #3,673 of 4,156
Quote:

If you have issue on Linux, please send email and tell us the Linux gear model and the Linux version as we like to buy the same model to test with. The VIA engineers informed us that the VIA chip only supports Linux on X86 chipsets and not on ARM chipsets.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

Quote:

But we can't ensure.
Kingwa"

You may answer yourself, but for me KINGWA is making fools of us, SBT - bild on  the ARM chipset - will never work with
    DI-V3 using USB A-synch., mode and he knows it well. But from marketing point of view, he can't say it :frowning2:

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,674 of 4,156
Quote:

But we can't ensure.
Kingwa"

I only have DI-V3 working in adaptive with SBT and that is with alternative Firmware ( #5), I don't know of any others that have it going in async' as I have asked the same question before. It sounds very good though in adaptive especially with hi-res files. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #3,675 of 4,156
Thanks for that Ktm777, I had not seen this before, it is obvious that the ARM chipset in the SBT is not compatible for Asynch, I don't know why they they just don't write a firmware that is compatible or just tell everyone that it will only work in adaptive mode! They are a good company to deal with but in emails to kingwah he never mentioned it to me. It would be much better for PR to be upfront and honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back