Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #3,016 of 4,156
Quote:
I am also experiencing the highs to be sharper, resulting in fatigue and ears hurting with extended listening. I have the  di-dsp feeding ref7 using PC usb as transport. There is sibilance on some tracks that wasn't there on DIv1. I am hoping the treble energy will smooth out with burn-in.

Hi there! OK. I suspected it was my SB Touch, that has a well discussed flaw with "digital trebles" on its spdif output. This can be remedied by 3rd party hardware upgrades and software tuning, that costs twice as much as the original SBT. So I was hoping to get that away bypassing the internal sound card and using the async USB of the SBT with the new EDO app. However, the problem for now is, that the TE8802L-module inside the DI-DSP is not Linux compatible. I hope this gets fixed some time soon.

Now, it surprises me that you have the same impression with sharp highs. I really hope that the portion that DI contributes to it, will get away after breaking in. Apparently, the quartz oscillators benefit from breaking in, no woodoo. This would mean, that they are still not as accurate as they can get, and yet produce audible jitter for now, that will be less after a while. Lets hope.

What I noticed however, is, that setting the DSP to upsampling makes a huge difference. For now, my DI-DSP upsamples to 96khz, and it goes to the spdif output after that. When I get my I2S upgrades (and the time to install them...) I hope that I can use 192khz upsampling inside the DI and get the naitive signal directly into RE9, without passing over any spdif bridge. This might help, too, I hope.

Your RE 7 shoud be able to accept I2S, too. You need two kits: One for the output on the DI, and one for the input on the Re7. And a good cable in between. The kits are cheap, shipping costs more than the hardware. You will however have to cut one of the inputs on your Re7, like the USB input or the spdif input.

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #3,017 of 4,156
Guys, did you order an upgrade 12mhz clock for TE8802 ?
I should say that i haven't tried my DI without upsampling.
I had a Tentlabs XO clock which i used with my old DI, and i used my DI-DSP only with it, upsampled to 96khz. I didn't hear any sibilance. In fact it might sound even a little darker that the old DI.
But i'm not sure yet because my BNC- cable for some reason doesn't fit the new DI and i was forced to use an analog interconnect cable instead.

Also - can anyone provide pictures of the modified PSU? I've received the resistors, so i'd like to tweak the old PSU.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #3,020 of 4,156
The isolators only support full-speed usb2 (12Mb/s) instead of the usual hi-speed usb2 (48Mb/s). That's why it might cause a problem, however even with 24/192 content I don't see any:
24 Bits per sample x 192000 Samples per second = 460,800,0 bits per second
460,800,0 * 2 Channels = 9216000 Bits = 1152000 Bytes = 1.152 MB/s
Full-speed usb2 is 12Mb/s which means 1.5MB/s at highest.
So no difference between Monoprice and your DIY'ed Canare L-2T2S? Should I even bother? (I got all the parts!)
I can't seem to hear a difference between my computer usb port and an external hi-quality LiPo battery.
Can you A/B using the switch on the back (just flip it really quick to the far side and the DI won't disconnect) to select usb power source and your AGD PSU and actually hear a difference?

I have to conduct more critical listening to be more conclusive. These are only initial impressions... And I'm letting the device burn in a bit.

But my feeling is that the USB cable appears invisible, without any signature. Not like the original DI.

Regarding the harshness, I only noticed this difference with my laptop. Maybe the current demands are too high... But I haven't investigated in depth since I'll use the new DI with its own PSU.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3,021 of 4,156
Quote:
Could you tell me exactly what you did ?

Did you replace a 3 Ohm resistor with a 5 Ohm?

No replacement is needed. You have to solder the 2 resistors (3 ohms and 5.1 ohms) in parallel with that 3 ohm resistors shown in the Agd diagram.

I got a 3.32 ohms resistor instead of 3 ohms, but it works.The 5.1 ohms resistor is grey, mostly hidden by the 3.32 ohms blue resistor. I've shown this picture to Kingwa and he approved.

Here's my mod:

Here's the Audio-gd link:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DIv2/DIv2EN_Use.htm

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #3,022 of 4,156
Quote:

I quickly tested this one and it might have helped. I have to do more tests when I get back home though.

I switched to the RCA output and disconnected my BNC cable. Now the HD-material plays without errors and my computer didn't crash.

What bothers me still is that I have to switch the output from the Audio GD control panel (Audio CPL page) manually every time if I want to output HD-signal. Even though the ASIO CPL page says that the signal is 24/96 or 24/176,4 it actually outputs it as 16/44,1 if you haven't switched to the matching audio format on the Audio CPL page. If you forget to change it back to 16/44,1 after playing HD-material, the DI-DSP outputs SD material as HD.

I did some more testing. 

It seems that there really is something wrong with the BNC output or then it's just my Naim DAC which can't co-operate with current conveyor technology. Anyway, with RCA output I can play HD material with WASAPI and Kernel Streaming outputs. The output switches automatically to 24/96, 24/176,4 or any other HD resolution. With ASIO output this isn't the case though. I have to switch manually if I want to use ASIO and play HD material.  Kernel Streaming seems to be working best out of these three. No glitches or dropouts in sound this way and HD material works fine. 

Kingwa describes on the Audio GD website that I can change the BNC output to use transmit insulate. When I opened my unit, I quickly noticed that everything I can plug or unplug inside the unit is glued to their sockets. Even the connectors to switch between the current conveyor and transmit insulate. Check out the picture:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32035299/DI-DSP.jpg

I don't know why they've glued everything. Do you have any ideas how to unplug the connectors so I could make the switch?

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3,023 of 4,156
I switched the sockets only with my hands, it requires a little force but it works. You can use a small nose pliers.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #3,024 of 4,156
Quote:
I switched the sockets only with my hands, it requires a little force but it works. You can use a small nose pliers.

I tried to use little force but I'm afraid that I rip off the whole socket if I pull too much. Your connectors were also glued?

EDIT:

I used some more force and Leatherman. Now I managed to switch the connectors and now BNC output works with HD material as described earlier with RCA output. Kernel Streaming seems to be the best output when using foobar and win7 64bit. WASAPI also works flawlessly with 16/44,1 but doesn't play the tracks every now and then with HD tracks. ASIO is out of question since I'd have to switch manually every time I want to listen to HD tracks.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #3,025 of 4,156
Yup.

Try to wiggle it side to side, it will help loosen it up a bit.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #3,026 of 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kernel Streaming seems to be the best output when using foobar and win7 64bit. WASAPI also works flawlessly with 16/44,1 but doesn't play the tracks every now and then with HD tracks. ASIO is out of question since I'd have to switch manually every time I want to listen to HD tracks.

I agree Foobar with KS seems the way to go. With the old DI it sounded the same as WASAPI to me, and I had some issues using it. With the DI-V2, playback seems flawless (edit: noticed some 'crackling' happening occasionally) and the sound quality seems a tiny bit better.

My DI had glue on the plugs too, probably to prevent them from coming loose during shipment.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #3,027 of 4,156
Got it today (DSP) and there is a small but noticeable improvement over my optical out (to Ref-8, Master-5). Voices and instruments are subtly more defined, more 3D. This is the primary benefit I hear and is enough of an improvement for this to be a keeper. I had no issues installing everything on my Win7 machine with upsampling to 24/96 (the Ref-8 maxes out at 24/96). I had come from a AP2 which provided similar benefits but I could not justify $600 for it.
I would guess that if this improves the Ref series DAC's with the DSP-1 chips, it might be a more than decent improvement to lesser DAC's.

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #3,028 of 4,156
I've managed to connect it to my DAC via i2s, haven't tried coaxial yet
So far DI-DSP has been a VERY enjoyable upgrade.
Clarity - that's the word to describe it.
There's much more magic in my music now, a definite improvement in soundstage.
It seems that bass got more defined and has better punch.
Didn't have time to play with my Olimex isolator yet.

Didn't notice any difference between KS, WASAPI and ASIO yet.
But i should say that playing anything higher from 44/16 requires a much higher buffer, otherwise there's a lot of noise in sound. So, i've set the buffer to always stay high.

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #3,029 of 4,156
Quote:
Arnaud

I see you have a DI V2 in a mac, could you please test it with Audirvana+ new beta version, to see if works in integer mode??

That's a DI-DSP actually. I just tried the beta of Audirvana+ (thanks for letting me know about this, I used Audirvana before purchasing Pure Music and wasn't aware the programmer had found a way to circumvent the drop of integer mode in OSX Lion). Anyhow, seems to be working just fine (actually, it seems like a nice alternative to Pure Music!), tried 88.2 / 96 / 174.4 as well as DSD (converted on the fly to 24/174.4). I have no way to check if it's really in integer mode I guess but at least I could set it up that in the preferences.

Haven't had a chance to compare Audirvana + and Pure Music in detail so this is very very preliminary, but it would seem the DSD or other High Res. files have a more natural mid-highs / treble through Audirvana + and maybe more low level detail retrieval. It seems more subtle than the move from old DI+PSU to DI-DSP though. BTW, playing at native rate (except DSD which has to be converted to PCM).

I forgot the pain windows can be at times, wishing you guys luck to sort it out.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #3,030 of 4,156
Just received my DI-DSP (both clocks upgraded) and PSU. works perfect.

Connected up to my server with the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 (DAC2 Caps) for burn in.

The BNC output (Applied Current Conveyor) did not work with my DAC. however the COAX output worked right away.

Automatic switching between SD and HD Material works in foobar in Wasapi (Didnt work in ASIO). And Kernal Streaming in Jriver (didnt try anything else)
The only thing is the drivers take a second to switch from SD to HD which causes my DAC to flip through the inputs, but when it comes back around to COAX1 it starts playing. not a big deal but a bit annoying to me.
edit: just figured out how to turn of input scrolling on my DAC so problem solved

so far im very happy with this unit. Listening to Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion right now and it sounds damn good for both the DAC and DI-DSP not being fully burned in.

The stack looks awesome ontop of the W4S DAC1 As well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back