Audio-gd Digital Interface
May 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #2,822 of 4,156
Hi, Pacha :)
Haven't seen you for a while here.

I guess most of us are interested in the new DI being async. Nobody's asked Kingwa about the DSP 3.1 difference from the old one

May 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #2,824 of 4,156
the new DI's are supposed to start shipping today. however the new site's consignment section is not finished yet so who knows if they are shipping or not.

edit:

found the link for consignment, nothing since may 10th so far.
http://www.audio-gd.com/consignment.htm

May 15, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2,825 of 4,156
As I'm sure that most of you may ask themselves some of the questions I had about the new DIs, here is the reply I got from Kingwa :

my questions were :
> > - What are the new features of the DI V2, and what new features can be expected from DSP 3.1 on the new DI DSP?
> > - What do you sincerely think about sound improvements over the old DI?

> Dear Sébastien,
> The most upgrade in the new DI-V2 is the USB chips TE8802, it is a 192K support asynchronous transmit chip.
> It have better detail and extend then the TE7022 which is built in the old DI.
> The DSP3.1 is quite similar with the DSP3 in the old DI.
> It perform reduce jitter , process data and upsampling, but the TE8802 also can choice the sampling output in PC.
> The sound sense is quite personal, we will start shipping the DI-V2 in next week.
> The customers comment is always better than the saler comment.
> Kingwa 

So the major part of the improvements are supposed to come from the TE8802 chip and its asynchronous USB mode, over the old TE7022 chip.
There still is the option of TCXO clock upgrade, but this time one can swap both TE8802 clock (used for asynch mode) and the upsampling clock on DI DSP version.
I didn't find any review of different Tenor chips implementations on the same system, so I don't know what can be expected.
I think about the Audiophilleo which is said to sound better than the DI, I don't know if the new DI is going to compete with it and potentially sound better, what do you guys think?

May 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2,829 of 4,156
Yeah, even the 'cheaper' Audiophilleo 2 is way too expensive. 4x the price for the converter and then another $500 for a battery power supply. Only $40 with the DI-V2... good thing Audio-GD came out with this since I was starting to be tempted by the AP2's asynchronicity. For the record, I haven't gotten an email confirming shipment yet. Hopefully by Friday it ships?

May 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #2,830 of 4,156
Quote:
Yeah, even the 'cheaper' Audiophilleo 2 is way too expensive. 4x the price for the converter and then another $500 for a battery power supply. Only $40 with the DI-V2... good thing Audio-GD came out with this since I was starting to be tempted by the AP2's asynchronicity. For the record, I haven't gotten an email confirming shipment yet. Hopefully by Friday it ships?

Maybe hearing is believing. I don't know, since I have not heard the AP2 before.

I jumped from the DI (with upgraded clock) + Olimex + PSU to my current Stello U3 unit a year ago and I felt that the improvement has more than justified the slight price difference (Stello U3 sells cheap here in Asia). I think that a good external USB/SPDIF converter has often been ignored by many people but I guess all those who own the DI will know that it is a little bit harder to go back to life without the DI in your rig. The improvement is really not subtle, unless your DAC's onboard USB receiver is very good.

I am interested to try (not buy) the AP2 someday down the road. Not so much on whether the price tag justifies it, but on how much more improvement can I obtain from it.

May 16, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #2,831 of 4,156
What USB chip do you have in the Stello U3 ?
Do you think most of the improvements come from asynch mode ?
Was it a real leap ahead in comparison with the DI + PSU or was it quite subtle though obviously better ?

May 16, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #2,832 of 4,156
Quote:
What USB chip do you have in the Stello U3 ?
Do you think most of the improvements come from asynch mode ?
Was it a real leap ahead in comparison with the DI + PSU or was it quite subtle though obviously better ?

It uses the XMOS chip.

Not sure if the improvements are due to the asynch mode since there is no way I could verify that.

Switching from the DI + PSU + Olimex to the U3 gives quite a significant improvement that is not subtle. The DI sounded veiled and slightly muddy in comparison (To clarify, I have never felt this way while I was using the DI but that was my experience when I made the jump).

My U3 runs off USB power and it is already much better than the DI + PSU + Olimex. I could only imagine the SQ improving if I could use an external clean power source. Same goes for the AP2 and it further helps you to get rid of a coaxial cable in your audio chain. PSU upgrade is tempting but not a necessity.

My point is not to encourage people to buy the U3, but to encourage people not to write the AP2 off because of its price thinking that the improvements it could bring to the table will not justify its price tag.

The law of diminishing return holds for every audio equipment and what justifies the purchase of, for example, a $1000 DAC over a $500 DAC, is not twice the performance increase but of an improvement that seems fit to each of us.

May 16, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #2,833 of 4,156
OK, but did you have the 1ppm TCXO clock upgrade in the DI? 

4160 veils the trebles and modifies the SS drastically IME....but I like it like that 
happy_face1.gif

This said, I'm ordering a USB-only DI-V2 and I will use it with a linear regulated PSU fed to a 4160 dongle in order to output I2S to my DAC via a very short RJ45 cable, it's gonna be good! I will post pics and impressions in due time.

May 16, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #2,834 of 4,156
yep. the much easier to use i2s on the new DI was one of the reasons i've ordered it.
on the current DI i had to solder the i2s cable directly into it.

May 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #2,835 of 4,156
Quote:
Switching from the DI + PSU + Olimex to the U3 gives quite a significant improvement that is not subtle. The DI sounded veiled and slightly muddy in comparison (To clarify, I have never felt this way while I was using the DI but that was my experience when I made the jump).

My U3 runs off USB power and it is already much better than the DI + PSU + Olimex. I could only imagine the SQ improving if I could use an external clean power source. Same goes for the AP2 and it further helps you to get rid of a coaxial cable in your audio chain. PSU upgrade is tempting but not a necessity.

I know what you mean. I had the same feelings when I switched from the jkeny modified HiFace to the DI, I didn't found the HiFace to sound muddy or veiled but it couldn't compete when swapping it directly with the DI.
I don't know if the DI V2 will sound as good as the U3 but the Stello must be pretty good then. Although, its price tag is much higher so the new DI has a point again on the market here.

When I saw the bump in SQ going from a USB converter to another, or the improvements brought by a dedicated PSU for it, I guess there's a lot of headroom in the end before my DAC becomes the limitation of my system.
I think there will be other big bumps in quality these next few years regarding USB converters, or we may see completely new type of converters arriving with new kind of technology, as this is a pretty recent market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back