Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 5, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #931 of 4,156

Quote:
Exclusive mode should be used but it allows volume to be controlled via OS.  So what do we do? 
rolleyes.gif

I have set up: Windoze7 with SPDIF HD Audio running in exclusive mode and speakers set as the default device. Foobar WASAPI is problem free and Taskbar controls do not effect the volume.

I recommend K3CT's comprehensive guide above which is excellent and is an example of how some posters make this forum so helpful.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #932 of 4,156
Unfortunately, I have done every thing K3cT mentioned still...

As long as Exclusive mode is enabled, my Foobar can do either WASAPI or KS with no problem at all (today for about 8 hours of listening), but the volume still can be controlled by OS. 

Foobar only has problem using WASAPI when I disabled the Exclusive mode.  I had Acer AS1410 with 32-bit Win7 if that matters.  Unless there is some other setting that hasn't been mentioned, I think our machines just act differently, which does not surprise me.

Let's not worry about it and go back to DI's sound, which is what this thread about.

Quote:
I have set up: Windoze7 with SPDIF HD Audio running in exclusive mode and speakers set as the default device. Foobar WASAPI is problem free and Taskbar controls do not effect the volume.

I recommend K3CT's comprehensive guide above which is excellent and is an example of how some posters make this forum so helpful.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #934 of 4,156
Pacha, there shouldn't be a need for a driver for the DI on W7..  I plugged mine into the USB and it recognized it as a Tenor SPDIF or something interface and I was up to running. i've been using it for a few days and have no issues at all.   

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #935 of 4,156
I just tried DI WITHOUT the PSU.   And I was so surprised by how much difference PSU make.  
eek.gif

Without PSU, the soundstage becomes hollow and artificial.  I happen to be listening the "Memories of Blue" in Vangelis' Oceanic, which has a immense sonic scene and the problem of no PSU becomes so apparent.

Also, the impact of piano-like sound becomes dull and lose focus.  To me DI without PSU is almost un-listenable.  (Sorry, I try not to be exaggerate but my ear probably has been indulged by DI + PSU)

Maybe my laptop has very poor power supply through USB. 
redface.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #937 of 4,156

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have done every thing K3cT mentioned still...

As long as Exclusive mode is enabled, my Foobar can do either WASAPI or KS with no problem at all (today for about 8 hours of listening), but the volume still can be controlled by OS. 

Foobar only has problem using WASAPI when I disabled the Exclusive mode.  I had Acer AS1410 with 32-bit Win7 if that matters.  Unless there is some other setting that hasn't been mentioned, I think our machines just act differently, which does not surprise me.

Let's not worry about it and go back to DI's sound, which is what this thread about.

That actually depends on what USB receiver chip is used in your respective unit. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it but if you're still curious you can try downloading some DTS tracks and try playing it through the DI to your A/V receiver. If the receiver "recognizes" the sound then it's bit-perfect. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #938 of 4,156
Well so nobody has installed Tenor drivers for the chip? I've asked because IIRC I read in this thread that some has Tenor chip drivers installed.
Anyway, if it works plug and play I'm perfectly ok with that.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #940 of 4,156
ninjikiran: yes, the DI installed its own drivers for Win7.  That's what happened on my computer and the device shows up in my devices.

Pacha: I finally understand.  I thought that your posts were specific in your case of the DI but you don't have yours yet.  Yes, it was plug and play in my case.  it just worked with no issues.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #941 of 4,156

Quote:
Maybe my laptop has very poor power supply through USB. 
redface.gif

That's the reason why your DI sounds much better with the external PSU. I have done some tests on my pc with and without the external PSU and there are no SQ differences whatsoever.  So it seems that I have pretty good power supply through USB on my PC but I know that laptops are more vulnerable to this type of problem.

Quote:
Quote:

What did you ended with in comparison with the jkeny HiFace? Better imaging, and : more bass (impact?), more transparency? What about the highs, and harshness?

DI has much better imaging and by that I mean that the music just feels like the way it sould be. The instruments are at the right places, they play at the right time and at the right levels. The DI is much more transparent and less harsh than the Hiface. Hiface stock is harsher sounding than hiface jkeny mod.
The Hiface tends to boost the highs and it sounds more dynamic. This type of coloration might sound good at first when listening to techno or rock types of music but I find it artificial after awhile.
If you don't have a Phoenix, you will notice the black background with the DI. I have the Phoenix so it already has this charecteristic. Also, I'd say that the DI alligns all the intruments on a single wide soundstage without a lot of 3d soundstage perspective.

If you're after something transparent than the DI is for you. I highly recommend it for the price.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #942 of 4,156
Quote:
That's the reason why your DI sounds much better with the external PSU. I have done some tests on my pc with and without the external PSU and there are no SQ differences whatsoever.  So it seems that I have pretty good power supply through USB on my PC but I know that laptops are more vulnerable to this type of problem.

DI has much better imaging and by that I mean that the music just feels like the way it sould be. The instruments are at the right places, they play at the right time and at the right levels. The DI is much more transparent and less harsh than the Hiface. Hiface stock is harsher sounding than hiface jkeny mod.
The Hiface tends to boost the highs and it sounds more dynamic. This type of coloration might sound good at first when listening to techno or rock types of music but I find it artificial after awhile.
If you don't have a Phoenix, you will notice the black background with the DI. I have the Phoenix so it already has this charecteristic. Also, I'd say that the DI alligns all the intruments on a single wide soundstage without a lot of 3d soundstage perspective.

If you're after something transparent than the DI is for you. I highly recommend it for the price.

I currently have both the HiFace and Digital Interface plugged between my PC and DAC using more or less identical BNC cables (they are of slightly different length, 6ft vs 5ft).

I echo your sentiment regarding the DI sounding more transparent. From my short listen its imaging also appears better but bass appears to have slightly less impact. I only started using the DI this morning but I had it 'burning in' yesterday.

By the way has anyone else noticed that the top panel on their Digital Interface vibrates a lot when the device is on? I find it disconcerting. Yes I have tightened the screws, etc.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #943 of 4,156
jinnh: my DI doesn't vibrate at all when it is on.  That is odd that yours is vibrating, maybe shoot Edwin or Kingwa an email about that since it doesn't appear to be normal.

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #944 of 4,156

Quote:

By the way has anyone else noticed that the top panel on their Digital Interface vibrates a lot when the device is on? I find it disconcerting. Yes I have tightened the screws, etc.

That is definitely a concern....I wonder what could be vibrating inside.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #945 of 4,156
I played a DVD movie through the DI and NFB-1 today. It's confirmed that the DI is incompatible with DTS.

Not that is important to use the DI for the 2 channel NFB-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back