Audio-gd Digital Interface
Apr 8, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #3,677 of 4,156
Quote:
I have been very upset that the SBT-EDO could not work with the DI-V3 in Async mode. My purpose to buy the DI-V3 is because the Async mode is superior than the Adaptive mode.

Strangely, the async mode is reported to work on the SBT compatibility sheet.
My async firmware basically gave me stuttering sound but I managed to have it working correctly once. Never could get it working after that.

The Resonessence Labs Concero does not work with the SBT either. I suspect the SBT is not fully compliant, that's why I moved on and bought a small laptop with JRiver to avoid such issue in the future.

Even with the same firmware #3 (reported as adaptive on the SBT), it sounds much better on JRiver than on the Squeezebox.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #3,678 of 4,156
Quote:
Thanks for the review, I'm thinking about ordering one also. Regarding brightness I read firmware #5 provides additional warmth without sacrificing resolution have you heard anything about it? I am hoping for a nice plug and play setup with my MBP / pure music. All the tech talk about drivers&firmware is making me nerves!!

How would you compare it to the JK mk 3?

Sorry, I haven't tried the firmware #5 yet and have never heard the JK mk 3. Any news about the firmware #5?

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #3,679 of 4,156
Quote:

Strangely, the async mode is reported to work on the SBT compatibility sheet.
My async firmware basically gave me stuttering sound but I managed to have it working correctly once. Never could get it working after that.

The Resonessence Labs Concero does not work with the SBT either. I suspect the SBT is not fully compliant, that's why I moved on and bought a small laptop with JRiver to avoid such issue in the future.

Even with the same firmware #3 (reported as adaptive on the SBT), it sounds much better on JRiver than on the Squeezebox.

Does it work with JRiver in async mode (firmware #4)?

If it does, what settings are you using?

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #3,680 of 4,156
Quote:

I didn't try it yet (NFB-27).

I have an issue with the 1.22 drivers on my new laptop (win8 64bits): I simply can't install them.

It says: "one or several modules could not be installed" at the very end. The whole drivers are that module... I can't seem to find the old 1.1 drivers on Audio-GD website.
I'll check on my mom's laptop on which I managed to install the old drivers (win7 64bits) if I find the installer. I'm using this laptop for now...

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,681 of 4,156
Quote:

I've tried it with Windows7 64bit and JRiver (but without JPLAY), with firmware #4 it worked wery good, also decided to buy laptop and sell SBT - BUT DI-V3 will not accept JPlay. So I'm confused :frowning2: Probably will buy laptop to work as dedicated music server - as described here http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/newsletter/Newsletter_10th_Anniv.pdf , eventually will accept JRiver + Jplay without Extreeme Engine as DI-V3 does not support low buffer value :frowning2: 

Clemmaster, how could you describe differences in sound between SBT and laptop with JRiver? What laptop is it, I mean what CPU? Atom based with passive coolant?

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #3,682 of 4,156
Quote:
I've tried it with Windows7 64bit and JRiver (but without JPLAY), with firmware #4 it worked wery good, also decided to buy laptop and sell SBT - BUT DI-V3 will not accept JPlay. So I'm confused :frowning2: Probably will buy laptop to work as dedicated music server - as described here http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/newsletter/Newsletter_10th_Anniv.pdf , eventually will accept JRiver + Jplay without Extreeme Engine as DI-V3 does not support low buffer value :frowning2: 

Clemmaster, how could you describe differences in sound between SBT and laptop with JRiver? What laptop is it, I mean what CPU? Atom based with passive coolant?

In short: more focus and more detail (tighter bass, more extended treble). That's easy to spot on the sides of the stage. There might be other aspects that helps to make an overall more pleasant experience (less hardness). That might sound like the typical cliché, but it is what it is.

The laptop is a (old) Asus VT30A with SU7300 dual core processor.

My new laptop is based on Core i5 3337 (ivy bridge).

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #3,683 of 4,156
Quote:

I didn't try it yet (NFB-27).

I have an issue with the 1.22 drivers on my new laptop (win8 64bits): I simply can't install them.

It says: "one or several modules could not be installed" at the very end. The whole drivers are that module... I can't seem to find the old 1.1 drivers on Audio-GD website.
I'll check on my mom's laptop on which I managed to install the old drivers (win7 64bits) if I find the installer. I'm using this laptop for now...

Here is the link to the 1.1 drivers:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Audio-gdUSB32forwindows384.rar
As for uninstalling the 1.22 drivers, make sure you're still using the correct firmware and your DAC is switched on.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #3,684 of 4,156
Quote:
Here is the link to the 1.1 drivers:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Audio-gdUSB32forwindows384.rar
As for uninstalling the 1.22 drivers, make sure you're still using the correct firmware and your DAC is switched on.

Many thanks for that!

I don't really get all this thing with different drivers for specific firmwares.
Does this mean that those who want to try the spare firmware (is it #3 or #5? I saw both and they seem to be both of the "warm" kind) will need the 1.1 driver which are not available anymore on the website?

As for uninstalling the 1.22, I didn't succeed at installing them anyway 
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #3,685 of 4,156
I don't know about firmware #5 (I haven't got it), but the #3 needs drivers 1.1 (although I've managed to get them working with the 1.22).
I've used the #3 for a while and the sound was warmer, but in the end I went back to #4 and I think is lovely. Actually, when I switched back to #4 I thought it wasn't brighter than #3...sometimes we rely on our memory, and we're wrong :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,686 of 4,156
Green Is adaptive Firmware (#5 I think) Black is async (#4 as shipped),

#4 was too bright and agressive in my system. #5 by contrast is warmer and was sonically spot on - it really was that moment when I had finally found the sound I'd been searching for.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #3,687 of 4,156
#4 was too bright and agressive in my system. #5 by contrast is warmer and was sonically spot on - it really was that moment when I had finally found the sound I'd been searching for.

I'm considering this combo as well, I was thinking about the JK SPDIF but for the price I'm tempted by the Audio GD DI-V3s/PSU. Any comparisons you can offer would be helpful? The difference in firmware is it a major change in sound signature?

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #3,688 of 4,156
Quote:
I don't know about firmware #5 (I haven't got it), but the #3 needs drivers 1.1 (although I've managed to get them working with the 1.22).
I've used the #3 for a while and the sound was warmer, but in the end I went back to #4 and I think is lovely. Actually, when I switched back to #4 I thought it wasn't brighter than #3...sometimes we rely on our memory, and we're wrong :)

I finally got it working :wink:

I swapped the firmware for the #4 and installed the 1.22 drivers once again. It did work immediately.
I like the addition of the VIA ASIO "emulation" which works flawlessly with JRiver.

As for the sound, I might swim against the stream, but I actually find the #4 firmware to be slightly warmer than the #3 
confused.gif
 (subtle).

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #3,690 of 4,156
Quote:
^ Good! It's what I meant with "make sure you're still using the correct firmware and your DAC is switched on" but my English is broken :)

Your English is perfectly fine (it's not my mother tongue either).

I had  a session with the new firmware yesterday. It's definitely warmer than the #3 I've been using so far.
I need to check what drivers I installed on my mom's laptop because I want to get that kind of sound back!

Note that my #4 firmware is a custom one that enables the Coax output. This might play a role here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back