Audio-gd Digital Interface
Sep 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #3,316 of 4,156
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Posts
17,947
Likes
13,800
Location
Fukuoka, Japan
Quote:
TE8802 is far from the 'latest & greatest'; It is a budget solution. Even with the TCXO upgrade it is a jitter fest because of the way the chip tries to synthesize 44.1kHz and 48kHz clock multiples from a 12.000MHz crystal. Anything based on XMOS will destroy the DI-V2 in performance due to technical superiority -- largely because it uses discrete clocks for 44.1 and 48kHz multiples (22.050 and 24.576 MHz, respectively iirc) resulting in far less jitter.

 
Has someone posted actual measurements or some kind of genuine technical data to confirm this? Or is this statement just based off things you've read on the web? I have the Calyx DAC here, which uses an XMOS chip and, to be honest, it isn't as good as all the reviews have said it is. If I can find a firmware update, I'll try and see if it improves at all.
 
Quote:
Quote:
 
Well, when Kingwa debuted his TE8802 stuff, he claimed he compared a few USB receiver chips and found TE8802 is superior to XMOS.

When was this? I don't recall him ever comparing it to XMOS. He would have to be deaf not to hear the superiority of even the reference design XMOS over the TE8802.

 
Do you think it is appropriate to suggest someone is deaf in this way? I don't. Making a legitimate query, such as "I don't understand why Kingwa doesn't use an XMOS chips over the Tenor." is reasonable. I was actually going to email him the same suggestion about the XMOS chip, but, from experience realised that he has probably already tried it and that he always has good reasons for the choices he makes.
 
Quote:
Quote:
Somestranger26 have you listened to the USB32? I think it is great. What makes you think the Xmos is better than the usb32?
My Master 7 sounds better via the USB32 input than my Audiophilleo 1 with external PSU or my M2Tech EVO with external clock and battery PSU.
I am hoping there will be a Master series Digital Interface based on the usb32 with I2S and AES/EBU outputs
Regards
Macrog

Wow, you have the Master-7. Can you describe the sound of it? How does it compare with other DAC, e.g., Ref7.1? Great to know USB-32 is better than AP1, that's a really BIG statement.

 
As macrog is an audio dealer, he isn't permitted to post subjective impressions of products he sells. If you search the forums for the Reference 7, you'll find a thread that includes discussion of the Master 7 at the end, including comparisons.
 
Sep 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3,318 of 4,156

Frank Sol

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 17, 2012
Posts
18
Likes
0
FWIW--   I installed openSUSE 12.2 (kernel 3.4) alongside win7 on my EeePc today. TE8802 was recognized and all I had to do was change the system audio out. Banshee played 16/44 files without a problem cannot say the same for 24/192.
 
Sep 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,321 of 4,156

tubesound

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 1, 2010
Posts
34
Likes
10
Quote:
When was this? I don't recall him ever comparing it to XMOS. He would have to be deaf not to hear the superiority of even the reference design XMOS over the TE8802.

I remember he made such a comment in his forum on his website (The forum is only in Chinese). It seems he deleted the original DI-DSP discussion thread. As a result, I couldn't provide a link to you to justify my statement. Anyway, another Chinese audio designer Yulong also chose TE8802 over XMOS (not sure whether it's due to cost reason or sonic reason).
 
I upgraded my USB input chip from TE7022 to TE8802 on the DAC19-DSP and soon I'll be comparing my DAC with a XMOS based DAC ...
 
Sep 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #3,322 of 4,156

elwappo99

Master Blower
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Posts
4,970
Likes
662
Quote:
I remember he made such a comment in his forum on his website (The forum is only in Chinese). It seems he deleted the original DI-DSP discussion thread. As a result, I couldn't provide a link to you to justify my statement. Anyway, another Chinese audio designer Yulong also chose TE8802 over XMOS (not sure whether it's due to cost reason or sonic reason).
 
I upgraded my USB input chip from TE7022 to TE8802 on the DAC19-DSP and soon I'll be comparing my DAC with a XMOS based DAC ...

 
I'd really like to hear your impressions!
 
Sep 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #3,324 of 4,156

Pacha

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Posts
669
Likes
10
Quote:
I upgraded my USB input chip from TE7022 to TE8802 on the DAC19-DSP and soon I'll be comparing my DAC with a XMOS based DAC ...

 
 
Looking forward to reading your review about that.
 
I wonder if the DAC19-DSP would do better with direct input into TE8802 rather than using the old DI + PSU, did you try comparing something of the sort BTW?
 
Sep 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #3,325 of 4,156

tubesound

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 1, 2010
Posts
34
Likes
10
Quote:
 
 
Looking forward to reading your review about that.
 
I wonder if the DAC19-DSP would do better with direct input into TE8802 rather than using the old DI + PSU, did you try comparing something of the sort BTW?

In theory TE8802 I2S to DAC chip should be superior as it has a shorter signal path. I sold my V-Link a while ago and don't have another USB to SPDIF converter on hand right now. But the XMOS DAC can be used as a USB to Coaxial converter and so I can compare that way as well in a week or two.
 
Sep 26, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #3,326 of 4,156

tink97

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Posts
356
Likes
17
I have a question, is anyone using the DI with the Te8802 chip or USB 32 chip with an iMAc?  I am considering getting one but just wanted to get some feedback from mac users.  Thank you
 
TInk97
 
Sep 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #3,327 of 4,156

DarknightDK

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 25, 2011
Posts
665
Likes
27
Quote:
I have a question, is anyone using the DI with the Te8802 chip or USB 32 chip with an iMAc?  I am considering getting one but just wanted to get some feedback from mac users.  Thank you
 
TInk97

 
Im using my DI-DSP (TE 8802) with my iMac and have not encountered any problems at all. Everything works flawlessly and no driver installation is required. Just plug and play. 
smily_headphones1.gif

 
Sep 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #3,328 of 4,156

JulioCat2

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Posts
208
Likes
10
Quote:
 
Im using my DI-DSP (TE 8802) with my iMac and have not encountered any problems at all. Everything works flawlessly and no driver installation is required. Just plug and play. 
smily_headphones1.gif

 
Hello DK
 
Have you checked the DI-DSP with Audirvana to see if it's Integer Mode Compatible??  
 
Oct 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3,330 of 4,156

Bojamijams

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Posts
2,335
Likes
36
Well I tried the new 1.1 drivers on my PC (stupid me, 1.0 was working fine) but then it gave me issues saying the USB Device failed... so I uninstall, restart, install 1.0, restart and now.. the same thing... so now neither verison works for me anymore
 
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
 
What do I do now?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top