Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jul 31, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #286 of 4,156
Transports don't upsample or have digital filters.  Transports don't change the data,  the only variable for SQ is Jitter and thats why they sound different.  But this doesn't look to be a transport. 

Now think about the statement that only low to mid end inputs will benefit,  this implies that the USB receiver is low-mid end if it needs cleaned up by filters/upsampling/pll whatever, JMHO .

Believe me I'd much rather my computer transport come from AudioGD than M2Tech,  but I'm still waiting for him to build one.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #287 of 4,156

Ahh I see, so no good for me if thats going to happen.  I am happy using my sound card as a transport given its bit perfect even to the source sample rate just been looking for some USB--->Spdif device which does that and only that(more for simplicities sake and allowing me to use my sound card for 5.1 duties solely).  The hiface seemed to fit the bill but I am worried a bit by it since people were describing such radical changes in sound and the other thread about a lower quality part effecting the quality of the unit itself.  I personally can't describe what jitter does to sound because I honestly don't have enough points of reference in my collection.

@Regal
Yea unfortunately not.  Worst case scenario I wait.
Quote:

The Digital Interface has two functions.

1. the USB input will converted to SPIF digital output. The DSP will serve as a digital filter to minimise the jitter and over sampling. The output of the interface will meet near high end sound quality.

2. The SPIF input will also pass throught the DSP and minimise the jitter to improve the SQ to near high end.

For high end players like AGD's CD7, the SQ will deteriate after passing through the "Interface", but the low end players will be benifit from it.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #288 of 4,156
I am getting both (PSU and DI) coming soon to try. I posted in the Ref-7 forumn but here too- Kingwa will discount the DI when purchasing a DAC too- it's $40 more to get the DI with Ref-8 DAC (not including PSU though), that's a great deal IMO.
Kingwa said the same thing about the Ref-3, that it improves moderately designed gear but not higher-end gear. For a couple of hundred dollars, making my blu-ray player or computer sound nearer the CD7 seems like a no brainer to me.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #289 of 4,156
would this be stupid if i use this for the audio-gd FUN ??

i stiil got the version with the old USB module or should i try the Hiface ???

another question i have could he not build in the transporter inside a DAC ??

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #293 of 4,156

Quote:
If I understood correctly, those who have one of the Reference DACs with the USB module do not really need to buy the USBFace, right?

On the contrary, they are better off using the DI instead of using the USB input of their DAC.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #294 of 4,156
Kingwa has even said the obvious, which it that it's pointless to use it with the Fun.  On the other hand, someone posted in the Reference 7 thread that they were told by Kingwa that the USBFace is a better for USB than what's in the Reference 7.  

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #295 of 4,156
I have e-mailed Kingwa a few times about the PSU and he keeps saying that it may not be an audible upgrade and doesn't want to recommend it, so we would not call him a liar.

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #296 of 4,156
So, what has happened here? 

The product is no longer competing with the HiFace as a transport and instead is used to somehow enhance low-fi DACs in the $300 range? 

Why would I want this product over a HiFace, even for my Constantine?

Money would be better spent on a new source.....

USG

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #297 of 4,156
Regal ...if you reread what I wrote I was referring to the outboard PSU option being a bloody bargain. I have bought lesser units locally that cost twice as much that had no chassis (just the traffo and the V reg psu board). That is why I said the outboard PSU option is a bargain...because it is.

Peete.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #298 of 4,156

Quote:
So, what has happened here? 

The product is no longer competing with the HiFace as a transport and instead is used to somehow enhance low-fi DACs in the $300 range? 

Why would I want this product over a HiFace, even for my Constantine?

Money would be better spent on a new source.....

USG

You're reading it backwards, it's designed for higher-end DACs.  People, as you point out (such as those asking if it's worth getting for the Fun) just have their priorities backwards. 
smile.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #299 of 4,156
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Does the Audio-gd intend to compete with Musiland or M2tech? Yes. Are they the same kind of product? No. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]The fact is that you are buying sophisticated software when you buy Musiland or M2tech products. Their asynchronous software is a good part of what you are hearing. Software has become a product in itself which is why Musiland and M2tech (and Wavelength) package it and license it to other companies. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]How does Kingwa choose to compete? Presumably he is no programmer and the cost of licensing software from a third party vendor makes no sense in a product that he wants to sell for USD140-190. So what does he do? He goes in another direction: DSP. This is not a new idea; award winning players (and DACS) from Harmon Kardon and Cambridge (to name just two) have "DSP modules". The problem for Kingwa is that DSP is perceived by some to be old fashioned; a move in the wrong direction.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]There was an expectation that Audio-gd would go head-to-head with Musiland and M2tech and build a super-dooper re-clocker and keep the bits “pure”. From what I can work out they have chosen to do re-clocking as well as other things. The criticism is already about that DSP-3 will corrupt the source (by jiggling the bits) such that it no longer is a “transport” in a pure sense. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I can see that DSP-3 will divide attitudes. It is already doing so. Even if user reviews are overwhelmingly positive there will be folk who will argue that any DSP is inherently flawed and can never be “better”. Impolitely, they will say that anyone who prefers it is delusional. As for me, I intend to listen to the DSP-3 and send it back if I don’t like it. The delusion would be to make up my mind about it before I hear it.[/size][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back