Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #4,576 of 5,343
It could be a great idea. So I can buy sometingh like this (https://www.thomann.de/gb/lindy_audiokonverter_spdif_digital.htm) to get the Coaxial signal form the DI20 and to use that one you suggest (https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-ur23-spdif-optical-to-usb-converter/) to go into the EF 44o Usb port
Potentially, though the Hifime product blurb days it doesn't work directly with Dacs and needs to be connected to a computer. Presumably a driver/coms protocol thing. From recollection I tried the direct connection to my DDC (U18) and sure enough it didn't work.

Also even if it did work the signal will have been through multiple conversions so likely to have much more jitter than when it left the DI-20. Worse still, if, as I understand, a computer has to be in the chain.

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #4,577 of 5,343
Potentially, though the Hifime product blurb days it doesn't work directly with Dacs and needs to be connected to a computer. Presumably a driver/coms protocol thing. From recollection I tried the direct connection to my DDC (U18) and sure enough it didn't work.

Also even if it did work the signal will have been through multiple conversions so likely to have much more jitter than when it left the DI-20. Worse still, if, as I understand, a computer has to be in the chain.
The whole ideai with chaining is to reduce noise and jitter progressively. Going from spdif to usb makes very little sense iMO.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #4,578 of 5,343
The whole ideai with chaining is to reduce noise and jitter progressively. Going from spdif to usb makes very little sense iMO.
Sure, but in this case the specific problem the OP asked about is that his EF400 dacamp has only USB input and he wants to run it off his DI-20.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #4,580 of 5,343
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #4,581 of 5,343
I would sell the di20 and get very good usb streamer, like the sotm sms200 ultra.
Or Auralic G1.1?

Or Holo RED?

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #4,584 of 5,343
Jan 18, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #4,586 of 5,343
Jan 18, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #4,587 of 5,343
I am revisting the idea to enable DSD in the following setup:

streamer > USB > Audio-GD DI20HE > I2S > Gustard A26

The A26 expects a 'flag' on pin 15 to let know whether PCM or DSD is sent. However the DI20HE does not send any signal on pin 15. In this setup the A26 always assumes that PCM is playing, so it means I can not play DSD this way. I do not want to discard the DI20HE as it does a great job.

Then I figured, what if I have a breakout DC cable at the source end of the I2S cable, to which I can apply 3.3 VDC to send this flag manually. Of course the breakout DC cable should also have a ground. Where to attach this?

I asked four custom cable manufacturers but only one would consider making such a cable (Phasure). None of them are sure whether it will work.

Before I dare to order something like this, I would welcome any views on this little potential project.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #4,588 of 5,343
Then I figured, what if I have a breakout DC cable at the source end of the I2S cable, to which I can apply 3.3 VDC to send this flag manually. Of course the breakout DC cable should also have a ground. Where to attach this to?
GND: pin #17
+3.3V: pin #15 (with 1k Ohm resistor in series, 10nF ceramic capacitor to ground (pin #17)

The additional components protect DAC from voltage spikes.

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #4,590 of 5,343
I am revisting the idea to enable DSD in the following setup:

streamer > USB > Audio-GD DI20HE > I2S > Gustard A26

The A26 expects a 'flag' on pin 15 to let know whether PCM or DSD is sent. However the DI20HE does not send any signal on pin 15. In this setup the A26 always assumes that PCM is playing, so it means I can not play DSD this way. I do not want to discard the DI20HE as it does a great job.

Then I figured, what if I have a breakout DC cable at the source end of the I2S cable, to which I can apply 3.3 VDC to send this flag manually. Of course the breakout DC cable should also have a ground. Where to attach this?

I asked four custom cable manufacturers but only one would consider making such a cable (Phasure). None of them are sure whether it will work.

Before I dare to order something like this, I would welcome any views on this little potential project.
Did you read the R26 thread: shorting 15 with another pin on the hdmi cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back