Audio-GD DI-20
Dec 26, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #4,546 of 5,343
So it was working fine about a month ago and then for some reason I went to check it couple of weeks ago and it showed fail so I don’t think I have it plugged into the wrong BNC connector on the DI-20. We also have experienced a couple of power outages in this weather, which probably could have some bearing.
I will try some different outs on Gustard, to see if it can sync properly.
C16 is warming up for 15 minutes. During this time all outputs are disabled. DI-20 will not allow to select external clock if cannot lock on the signal. C16 has a button to bypass warming-up time out and activate outputs immediately.

Power cuts could mess up with configuration. Check if all outputs are enabled. Use direct ports (not isolated). After you get it working, disable unused ports one by one for the best SQ.

[Edit] I see ports can be only enabled/disabled in groups. Gustard don't want me to download user manual for some reason.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #4,547 of 5,343
So it was working fine about a month ago and then for some reason I went to check it couple of weeks ago and it showed fail so I don’t think I have it plugged into the wrong BNC connector on the DI-20. We also have experienced a couple of power outages in this weather, which probably could have some bearing.
I will try some different outs on Gustard, to see if it can sync properly.
I see, I thought you just plugged it in out of the box.

Maybe it just needs a reflash of the firmware.

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #4,548 of 5,343
My hifi buddy came over a few weeks to test out his Leo Bodnar GPS clock on my Di-20:
GPS-CLOCK.jpg

He gets dramatic results with his Gustard R26. Unfortunately, with the Di-20 we could hear no improvement.

This did prompt me to investigate one of the cheap 10MHz OCXO clocks from AliExpress. This arrived a few weeks later & I connected it directly with a SMA to BNC adapter. I chose this one:

OCXO.jpg

I am powering with iFi Power 2 9v.

Immediately it had an effect. I could detect a subtle widening of the soundstage and maybe more detail. This was using Sine wave output. The Square wave gave a strange effect I did not like.

So I lived with the device for a couple of days and decided to box it, see if that would have further effect:

CASED.jpg

I also applied some dampening bitumen and a rubber pad on one end so it remains supported behind the Di-20 without straining the socket.
Then I re-did the testing, which I had not done for a few days.

Wow.....all I can say is I was shocked. The difference was so dramatic I wondered how I ever listened to the Di-20 on its own! I cannot be sure if this was due to the box, or the device running in, but for what it cost, I cannot believe it.

I have now ordered another cheap similar cheap clock from a different manufacturer to see if the sound can be further improved. I am now wondering how much hype is there in these expensive clocks............

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #4,549 of 5,343
My hifi buddy came over a few weeks to test out his Leo Bodnar GPS clock on my Di-20:
GPS-CLOCK.jpg
He gets dramatic results with his Gustard R26. Unfortunately, with the Di-20 we could hear no improvement.

This did prompt me to investigate one of the cheap 10MHz OCXO clocks from AliExpress. This arrived a few weeks later & I connected it directly with a SMA to BNC adapter. I chose this one:

OCXO.jpg

Immediately it had an effect. I could detect a subtle widening of the soundstage and maybe more detail. This was using Sine wave output. The Square wave gave a strange effect I did not like.

So I lived with the device for a couple of days and decided to box it, see if that would have further effect:

CASED.jpg
I also applied some dampening bitumen and a rubber pad on one end so it remains supported behind the Di-20 without straining the socket.

Wow.....all I can say is I was shocked. The difference was so dramatic I wondered how I ever listened to the Di-20 on its own! I cannot be sure if this was due to the box, or the device running in, but for what it cost, I cannot believe it.

I have now ordered another cheap similar cheap clock from a different manufacturer to see if the sound can be further improved. I am now wondering how much hype is there in these expensive clocks............
Can you please post a link to both the clock and box? Thanks

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #4,551 of 5,343
GPS-CLOCK.jpg

OCXO.jpg

CASED.jpg

Only connected to DI20(NON-HE)? No Dac?

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #4,552 of 5,343
Only connected to DI20(NON-HE)? No Dac?
No, my DAC has no clock input.........

Ifi Zen Stream > Di20-HE > i2s > Topping D90LE. Cheap AliExpress 10MHz 50 Ohm clock connected directly to clock output on Di-20 using SMA to BNC adaptor so it hangs vertically off the back. The Di-20 is on its own isolation platform and I positioned the lower edge of the clock case on a rubber pad so it rests on the shelf the Di-20 is resting on without straining the BNC socket. The clock has been shielded in its own metal case and is powered by an iFi Power2 9V supply.

Hard to photograph with all the cables, but this is how it is positioned.

CLOCK.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #4,554 of 5,343
This sounds very deja vu, did you ask in the zenstream thread?

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #4,555 of 5,343
Anyone using a IFi Audio ZenStream?
I’m feeding USB into DI-20HE with Zen set at position #1-AIO and all is well running Roon.
When I change Zen to position #2-Roon Exclusive, Zen switches to SPDIF?
Anyone else experiencing this? I prefer USB.
You need to change the device output in Roon Device settings when in Roon Ready Mode.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #4,556 of 5,343
You need to change the device output in Roon Device settings when in Roon Ready Mode.

Cheers!!
This is USB setting when in #1 AIO
1672965864081.png

When I switch Zen to #2:
1672966004370.png

1672966142300.png

When in AIO #1 DEVICE INFO shows USB
I even tried turning Zen off-on after making changes in Roon.
Note that in screen shot 1 shows Zen as Bridge device and 2 as Audio device

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #4,557 of 5,343
This is USB setting when in #1 AIO
1672965864081.png
When I switch Zen to #2:1672966004370.png
1672966142300.png
When in AIO #1 DEVICE INFO shows USB
I even tried turning Zen off-on after making changes in Roon.
Note that in screen shot 1 shows Zen as Bridge device and 2 as Audio device
I also posted this answer for you over in the ZS thread, perhaps you are not seeing the replies to your posts.

This will help you sort it out...

Now back to the Audio GD thread, lol

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 15, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #4,559 of 5,343
For those who are fans of Nimak usb cables, I have a "TITAN" version for sale. It is 12awg pure silver, twice the thickness of the 'purple" model and the greatest achievement that Nimak has ever produced.

Stunningly full and transparent sound......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back