Audio-GD DI-20
Aug 7, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #3,841 of 5,334
My friends, we believe what we choose to believe- all of us.... and we hear what we like......

I think for me to argue with the enormous and nearly universal technical data that 10mhz clocks add jitter is simply foolish.

To say that I like the sound of my system with these clocks is personal opinion; non-technical. Also- perhaps there is some other factor- not related to jitter which improves with an external clock which our ears like which makes up for the increase in jitter caused by our clocks.

My personal subjective opinion of these clocks based on my usage of them is they increase focus and bass, and overall fullness of sound. The image gains solidity and meatiness. I like this result. Detail and air IMHO are diminished. Nevertheless the final result is pleasing to my ear. My only question is- is it a placebo effect or a cognitive dissonance effect??? A question which is hard to answer...

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #3,842 of 5,334
My friends, we believe what we choose to believe- all of us.... and we hear what we like......

I think for me to argue with the enormous and nearly universal technical data that 10mhz clocks add jitter is simply foolish.

To say that I like the sound of my system with these clocks is personal opinion; non-technical. Also- perhaps there is some other factor- not related to jitter which improves with an external clock which our ears like which makes up for the increase in jitter caused by our clocks.

My personal subjective opinion of these clocks based on my usage of them is they increase focus and bass, and overall fullness of sound. The image gains solidity and meatiness. I like this result. Detail and air IMHO are diminished. Nevertheless the final result is pleasing to my ear. My only question is- is it a placebo effect or a cognitive dissonance effect??? A question which is hard to answer...
Done enough a/b with 3 different setups to assure you it is not a placebo effect. Staging, imaging, and bass are improved. There is even more air IMO. For me, the clock is a big plus. Here to stay. I even have a spare one, just in case.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #3,844 of 5,334
Done enough a/b with 3 different setups to assure you it is not a placebo effect. Staging, imaging, and bass are improved. There is even more air IMO. For me, the clock is a big plus. Here to stay. I even have a spare one, just in case.
Fred, this is no contradiction to factual data. All external clocks regardless of phase noise numbers increase jitter yet may sound better due to some other factor which we just don't understand.

audio-gd is perhaps one of the best examples of a company which has been severely criticized for poor technical measurements in most of their products, but so many of us love the way the products sound... This is OK with me.... I have no choice but to accept that measurements and sonic pleasure are not in agreement much of the time...

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #3,845 of 5,334
By the way, WORD CLOCKS (not 10 mhz clocks)- if they are superior to the internal clocks of our dacs- (from what I understand) do improve things by properly synchronizing our systems clocks together....

I may not understand.....

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #3,846 of 5,334
Fred, this is no contradiction to factual data. All external clocks regardless of phase noise numbers increase jitter yet may sound better due to some other factor which we just don't understand.

audio-gd is perhaps one of the best examples of a company which has been severely criticized for poor technical measurements in most of their products, but so many of us love the way the products sound... This is OK with me.... I have no choice but to accept that measurements and sonic pleasure are not in agreement much of the time...
As i have pointed out, jitter in the 0-20hz range likely improves with the external, while it may be worse beyond 20hz or so. Which implies the impact of jitter on sound cannot be inferred from an overall jitter figure. It has to be analyzed into more details.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #3,850 of 5,334
Ok if the hifi world is hot on clocks right now, but the pro world has been buying master clocks since the 1980s and it seems clearly a best-practice to run all the gear in your chain off one clock.

On the Mutec and probably other sites you can find reviews from pro audio guys (studios, etc) that have facts on what a good clock does that don't line up with the naysayer stuff that was quoted upthread. One guy even measured a significant decrease in jitter.

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #3,851 of 5,334
All external clocks regardless of phase noise numbers increase jitter yet may sound better due to some other factor which we just don't understand.
As I explained before, it is not evident truth that external clocks increase jitter. Secondly, if you look at numbers, you must understand conditions how these numbers are taken. These conditions vary from one vendor to another. Some try to avoid publishing data for a low frequency range which is critical for SQ, as I have mentioned before and @FredA too. Others only give a total jitter energy across specified frequency range, and a range is also different to make their product look better. Ordinary users depend on the other users feedback and your input is valuable as well.

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #3,853 of 5,334
Kingwa's 10M input implementation is good enough to bring sound quality improvments. It's been proven over and over. Results will vary depending on the dac. Even older.or cheaper dacs using a 8805 or dir9001 spdif receiver will benefit from being fed by an externally clocked Di20/he. Many will be floored with the result. It is really a breakthrough experience, in many cases. The sound can become so analog and clear. Just wonderful.

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #3,854 of 5,334
As my he9 mkii pre matures, the stage is opening up, and i am reminded of how great things can be.

Jim Hall Live.Vol 2-4 is a great album to get, to enjoy things to the max. If you like jazz. A lot of air. Great bass, drums and guitar.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #3,855 of 5,334
Hi. I've noticed this shop too, the cheapest offer. I'll take the LHY OCK-1 here. I'll also be getting a BNC cable to go with it https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050026...781027712.1640613639&sku_id=12000021653642404 and WireWorld Stratus 7 2.0m power cable. I have the entire WireWorld Electra 7 power harness, I like them a lot, but I'll get a cheaper one for the clock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back