Audio-GD DI-20
Jul 22, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #3,766 of 5,329
You mean SD transport?
Yes I am on 4.075, but also tried 4.076, 4.07_Beta1 and 3.933, and all had the same problem with spdif, regardless of source (and I used maybe 5 different sources). With usb input there was never a problem.
What kind of problems are you experiencing with spdif?

I'm getting some buffering issues with it.

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #3,768 of 5,329
The previously mentioned issue about my DI20 exhibiting awful static, and R/L channel mismatch on the majority of power-up cycles has currently been resolved, and astonishingly - it seemed to be all down to DAC pairings!!

Just last week I got the new Chord Mojo 2 portable DAC (which includes a modest internal amp) and paired it with the DI20, and. 'WALA' - the first startup worked just fine. Assuming it was just a normal random chance that the DI20 worked right, I carried on and enjoyed the FANTASTIC sound, that IMO comes darn close to the Chord Qutest... it took me a while to notice that in fact the pairing is actually trouble free in the long run. Each startup works perfectly and quickly, including with sample rate changes.

This is literally the 4th DAC I have paired with the DI20, all previous of which have exhibited the above static and channel reversal issue, which I had been used to troubleshooting on a daily basis by power cycling on / off the unit between 2 and 10 times until the audio comes out right. The first DAC being Schiit Modi 2 multibit (for this one I can't quite recall if it happened less frequent or not at all), then was Chord Qutest, then iFi Micro iDSD Black Label as a DAC. All of these connected with RCA coax cables, with the exception of the Qutest which had to use a custom BNC to RCA cable to be compatible with its input. And now for some reason even though my new DAC is also from Chord Electronics and also using a RCA digital coax cable, the problem is solved. I have a hunch it may have had to have something to do with a digital handshake between the DDC and the DAC. Probably not significant, but the difference now being with the new DAC is that the digital coax cable is RCA on the DI20 side and 2-pin 3.5mm on the DAC side, for compatibility.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #3,769 of 5,329
I think so to...

Check out this usb cable. Someone I trust very much in the audio business told me this is the best USB cable he has ever heard cost-no object. It has built in galvanic isolation. I was also told- not all galvanic isolation is the same. This company got it right...

https://fibbrcable.com/products/alpha-usb-a-b-optical-fiber-digital-audio-cable
I took the plunge on your suggestion, and yesterday caved and bought it. From your words and another review I found, seems like a mighty solid performance and transparent refinement can be had from this USB optical cable. I also like the fact that they actually have minimum one meter length, and 5 volt DC input on the receiving side. Plus, it's on sale for half the normal price; or so the website says.

I was actually reluctant and pushed it out for a few days, seeing how the Fibbr customer service was absolutely non-existent. I tried their chat option, web contact form and email, all of which got no response at all after 3 days and counting. I even emailed them after the transaction went through to the PayPal email address that showed up to ask for a tracking number, but still no reply. You did however tell me that you bought it from that same source and it arrived in your country quickly, so, keeping my fingers crossed.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #3,770 of 5,329
What kind of problems are you experiencing with spdif?

I'm getting some buffering issues with it.

Maybe you have the same issue? I described it above as:
There is one flip side: the minuscule glitches that I remember when using the spdif input to the DI-20HE are back. I never could get rid of them. They are so few and far between that I could live with them, but any advice would be welcome.

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #3,772 of 5,329
I don't know what firmware I have, my DI-20HE is newish. But, I run a streamer into it via coax and have 0 noise issues. If there was a problem as @FredA encountered, it was probably fixed in later firmware. But the same is true of my DI-20 non HE, which I think is 2 years old now. Also no noise over coax.

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #3,773 of 5,329
I don't know what firmware I have, my DI-20HE is newish. But, I run a streamer into it via coax and have 0 noise issues. If there was a problem as @FredA encountered, it was probably fixed in later firmware. But the same is true of my DI-20 non HE, which I think is 2 years old now. Also no noise over coax.
Last time i tried, i had no issue on coax with 4.076. Never had any on usb.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #3,774 of 5,329
Last time i tried, i had no issue on coax with 4.076. Never had any on usb.
Good to hear. If I recall correctly, Kingwa has been shipping 4.076 for a while now.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #3,775 of 5,329
4 questions please:

1. does this product "cleans up" the input and then the output is then fed to a DAC?

2. If yes to no1, can I use the SPDIF (the motherboard provides an SPDIF header) output of the on-board Realtek sound chip? Or I need to use a quality sound card (like Xonar Essence)?

3. In relation to nos 1 and 2, is it best to stick with USB if available?

4. what's the advantage of this device over something like Schiit Wyrd/Eitr (which seems to be much simpler)

Thanks for the help/reply.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #3,776 of 5,329
4 questions please:

1. does this product "cleans up" the input and then the output is then fed to a DAC?

2. If yes to no1, can I use the SPDIF (the motherboard provides an SPDIF header) output of the on-board Realtek sound chip? Or I need to use a quality sound card (like Xonar Essence)?

3. In relation to nos 1 and 2, is it best to stick with USB if available?

4. what's the advantage of this device over something like Schiit Wyrd/Eitr (which seems to be much simpler)

Thanks for the help/reply.
1, yes
2,yes for the first part of your question
3, depends on which provides a better source signal
4, I will let someone who has both to comment

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #3,778 of 5,329
Brief update on my above posting about Alpha USB optical cable from Fibbr. I actually did get a response today after having ordered 2 days ago, and looks like it will be shipped early next week. If you can't get ahold of them feel free to let me know by PM.
That review doesn't bring confidence. 😂

Screenshot_20220724-145239.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back