Audio-GD DI-20
Jul 24, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #1,741 of 5,309
Thank you for your impressions. I referred the measurement hoax to the R8.
I only tried I2S out and the DI-HE is imho an amazing peace of gear...had an U16 before and i never thought that jriver from a laptop can compete with my PS Audio PWT (also I2S) as a source...easy listenable regarding soundstage wide outside the speakers...

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,744 of 5,309
@DecentLevi For Blaster hardware the cheap and plentiful Atmel based ByteBlaster II copy works for a lot of people. Did not for me however on my 2016 Asus motherboard PC (Win 8.1 upgraded to Win 10). I use the USB 'Altera Blaster Rev C' clone.

ByteBlaster II clone
BlyteBlasterII_2.jpg

USB Blaster Rev C clone
Blaster_RevC.jpg

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #1,747 of 5,309
I went with this one from amazon and haven't had any problem with setup and execution.

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Down...keywords=usb+blaster+v2&qid=1595600463&sr=8-1
I got the one you recommended because it was one of the few that were available in the U.S.A. I also got this message from Kingwa when inquiring about it:

Any version over Quartus II 9.0 can do the update, after update the DI can support DOP.

Does this look like the right version for what he said? And by DOP is he referring to DSD over PCM for the coax output?

It would have been a whole lot easier to update firmware with a USB connection like most devices.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #1,748 of 5,309
It would have been a whole lot easier to update firmware with a USB connection like most devices.
If it were easy, how would you separate the boys from the men?! :wink:

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #1,749 of 5,309
I got the one you recommended because it was one of the few that were available in the U.S.A. I also got this message from Kingwa when inquiring about it:

Any version over Quartus II 9.0 can do the update, after update the DI can support DOP.

Does this look like the right version for what he said? And by DOP is he referring to DSD over PCM for the coax output?

I recommended it because it is the one I have and it works. Now, like most or all of these USB blasters, upon first connecting to your PC, you must go into Device Manger to update the driver. The one that Windows installs doesn't work. Small but crucial step.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,750 of 5,309
Best advice when installing Quartus programming software is to have the USB Blaster connected and affirm, toward the end of installation, to load the Blaster drivers. Reboot afterward and check Device Manager to see if Windows recognizes the Blaster and loads the proper driver.

Any version of Quartus programming software does the same mechanical function. The issue is finding the right version of Quartus for your PC’s operating system. Quartus 9.0 will not install on Win 10 and Quartus 16.0 will choke on Win XP.

I installed the latest Quartus 20.2 programming s/w. 16.0 is better looking on screen. 20.2 had the ‘dumbed down’ Windows tablet look.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,751 of 5,309
In P mode, the soundstage is imho not as wide as in s mode...maybe it is also a question of the source. My laptop is not the fastest one.
S mode and nos on the r8 is for me the perfekt setting, someone could feel that the image of details might be overly sharp but this is how i like it and it is always a question of gear synergy. I leave the r8 and di20he powered on most of the time and after 12 hours, the r8 changes in sound dramatically....the sound is completely decoupled, holographic and unbeleavable wide and deep....amazing for an item with such bad measurements :wink:
I would like to see those defamatory a..h... at this measurement forum measure some reputed brands like Moon, Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, Passlab, Accuphase, etc...
But on the other hand, maybe they are right.. Why bother listening to music when you can wet your pants contemplating a spec sheet? Guys, let's face it, we may just be a bunch of loosers with too much time to spare.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,752 of 5,309
I would like to see those defamatory a..h... at this measurement forum measure some reputed brands like Moon, Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, Passlab, Accuphase, etc...
But on the other hand, maybe they are right.. Why bother listening to music when you can wet your pants at contemplating a spec sheet? Guys, let's face it, we may just be a bunch of loosers with too much time to spare.
Agreed, anyone who has owned and listened to a vacuum tube amp would know that way of measurements don't mean much to define quality of music.

Anyone who reads and goes by these measures, unfortunately, will eventually learn to ignore. CWong had a video expresses similar sentiments.

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #1,753 of 5,309
Agreed, anyone who has owned and listened to a vacuum tube amp would know that way of measurements don't mean much to define quality of music.

Anyone who reads and goes by these measures, unfortunately, will eventually learn to ignore. CWong had a video expresses similar sentiments.
Yes. Some things just can’t be measured. Also, the best mid drivers produces up to 2-3% of distorsion. Speaking of tubes, I’d be curious to hear the HE version of Kingwa’s balanced tube pre. He got a raving review in HTHifi. The guy said it’s the best pre he has ever heard.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #1,754 of 5,309
Re: vacuum HE1 xlr
The area which the HE9 can improve upon, I think, would be mid range. Having some tubes may just do that. However, in exchange, one no longer has the ACSS connection from AGD DAC. I think there maybe trade offs.

Certainly would like to hear from someone who can do a comparison.

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #1,755 of 5,309
Re: vacuum HE1 xlr
The area which the HE9 can improve upon, I think, would be mid range. Having some tubes may just do that. However, in exchange, one no longer has the ACSS connection from AGD DAC. I think there maybe trade offs.

Certainly would like to hear from someone who can do a comparison.
Whatever the setup, synergy is needed, including with cables. I can't complain about the midrange or anything. My loudspeakers have great mids.. Same with the m3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back