Audio-GD DI-20
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #361 of 5,329
If I remember correctly, the GPS disciplined clock was mentioned first at the Gustard U16 thread, and was a recommendation based upon some Taiwan audiophile group. My guess is the Taiwan folks doing the initial recommendation have access to all types of economy clock options, but I have never seen this information source personally.

The device has an antenna with 5 M lead, you stick it out a window and hope a secure GPS lock. I use a 10 meter length antenna lead and it works fine.
I like the idea the device requires a 12v input (Some of the others require over 12.5v so not a standard value..) anyways, at 12v you have easy options for cheapish 2A LT3045 regulation...

There are many other 10M clock options without antenna... some are very expensive... Google Mutec for example...

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #363 of 5,329
@Wynnytsky Read the description on this page for HDPlex 200W obsolescence. What I think I really need is a used 100W version but that is long out of production.
https://audiopc.shop/en/winkel/power/hdplex-200w-lpsu-linear-power-supply-preorder-latest-version/

I think my tiny audio computer would be happy with 3amps from a 19.5v tap. My ideal LPS would only have two low jitter taps and the thing would only be 80 or 100watts (cheaper and lower EMF). The one that goes up to 19.5v would have six LT3035 regulators and a second one could max out at 9 or 12 with four or six regulators.

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #364 of 5,329
External 10M clocking sounds really good. Highly recommended!

Ordered a power supply off of Ebay where the vendor states they will adjust output voltage power to anything within it's range. I picked +12.5V output.

Finally mounted the Oscilloquartz board on 1/4" aluminum plate to give it some stability with cables connected. And using my Off Ramp 5 Dynamo power supply that adjusts to +12.13V max. Seems to function OK but may not be optimal.

Oscilloquarz.jpg

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #365 of 5,329
External 10M clocking sounds really good. Highly recommended!

Ordered a power supply off of Ebay where the vendor states they will adjust output voltage power to anything within it's range. I picked +12.5V output.

Finally mounted the Oscilloquartz board on 1/4" aluminum plate to give it some stability with cables connected. And using my Off Ramp 5 Dynamo power supply that adjusts to +12.13V max. Seems to function OK but may not be optimal.

Hello Scott,
I'm sorry, but I´ve got confused with so many tech info.

I bought the same clock as you posted on the photo. I'm using it with a 12V / 3A LPS and the result, regarding sound improvement is good, not night and day difference, but nice, delivering more liquid and analog sound on my system.

Is a plain 12V LPS ok for it? Why should it be 12.5V if it says 12V on the outside specs?

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #366 of 5,329
@PLGA The Oscilloquartz OCXO vender claims 13V to 15V input voltage is needed. The voltage input connects to a linear Vreg with its 12V output powering the 12V OCXO. For the regulator to regulate the voltage needs to be above its dropout voltage which is 250mV nominally at 1.5A output. So voltage input needs to be above 12V coming in. How much is to be determined. You don’t want to go too high either as that extra power is dissipated by the 12V regulator. I picked 12.5V to give me some margin above the dropout voltage for all operating conditions like pulling 8W when the OCXO heater is working fully. +13V would probably be OK as well.

That is the Oscilloquartz design. Other boards may have different requirements.

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #367 of 5,329
@PLGA The Oscilloquartz OCXO vender claims 13V to 15V input voltage is needed. The voltage input connects to a linear Vreg with its 12V output powering the 12V OCXO. For the regulator to regulate the voltage needs to be above its dropout voltage which is 250mV nominally at 1.5A output. So voltage input needs to be above 12V coming in. How much is to be determined. You don’t want to go too high either as that extra power is dissipated by the 12V regulator. I picked 12.5V to give me some margin above the dropout voltage for all operating conditions like pulling 8W when the OCXO heater is working fully. +13V would probably be OK as well.

That is the Oscilloquartz design. Other boards may have different requirements.

Ok, but what if you feed it with a 12V LPS like I've been doing for about a couple of months? Is there any risk? What could happen?

It seems to me that it works fine and improves the sound of my U16, but how can I be sure that it wont be a risk or a compromise in a near future?

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #368 of 5,329
@PLGA. If the input voltage gets low enough the regulator “drops out” and stops regulating its output. I like the idea of the voltage regulator for the oscillator as it provides isolation from the main power supply. So I want to operate it where it is linear and predictable for best performance. In my case 12.13V is iffy at best. But if its working OK for you then don’t worry about.

The Oscilloquartz board just makes picking a power supply more challenging. Hard to find 12.5V, 12.8V, or 13V power supplies

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #369 of 5,329
So...My DI-20 HE arrived today...plugged her in, replacing myGustard U16, of which I have mentioned, has work flawlessly for me since its purchase ( SW ver. 1.4 psa).
Hooked up the Gustard C16 clock as well...
I have read so many glowing reviews on the DI-20...cold, out of the box, compared to U16, but my reaction is just the opposite! The DI-20 sounds like there’s is a blanket over my speakers, the sound being closed in, and dull, compared to the well broken in and warmed up U16/C16 combo. Now I understand that the Audio-GD gear take an awfully long time to break-in...a month or more? Of straight playing? Well, unless things change, I will not be enjoying my rig for awhile, based on the sound coming from it as of now. Is there anyone here using the DI-20 with a PS Audio Directstream DAC that can recommend the proper HDMI configuration settings? I have music playing, but I am unsure that my settings are optimal.
Thanks in advance, for the comments

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #371 of 5,329
So...My DI-20 HE arrived today...plugged her in, replacing myGustard U16, of which I have mentioned, has work flawlessly for me since its purchase ( SW ver. 1.4 psa).
Hooked up the Gustard C16 clock as well...
I have read so many glowing reviews on the DI-20...cold, out of the box, compared to U16, but my reaction is just the opposite! The DI-20 sounds like there’s is a blanket over my speakers, the sound being closed in, and dull, compared to the well broken in and warmed up U16/C16 combo. Now I understand that the Audio-GD gear take an awfully long time to break-in...a month or more? Of straight playing? Well, unless things change, I will not be enjoying my rig for awhile, based on the sound coming from it as of now. Is there anyone here using the DI-20 with a PS Audio Directstream DAC that can recommend the proper HDMI configuration settings? I have music playing, but I am unsure that my settings are optimal.
Thanks in advance, for the comments
Give it 5-6 hours, it should be already nice. The settings are the same as audio-gd, so the default. Of course, select the external clock using the middle button.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #375 of 5,329
FredA...in all due respect, according to your posts, your DI-20 beat your U16 cold out of the box, which is one of my references to my original post
Not exactly true. I ran it for 6 hours before i gave it a first listen. Sorry if one of my post lead you to think otherwise. Received the unit at 9h30am, got it running at 10am, then went back to work. I gave it a first listen at around 4pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back