audio format help for a newbie, please
May 23, 2002 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jms007bnd007

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, I have searched for this already and didn't find any answer. But I am just wondering what a redbook recording is? and basically what exactly HDCD and SACD are as well. I think I have some idea, but I just want to know for sure. Thanks

May 25, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 5
If anyone disagrees with my answers... please feel free to add your own comments below...

Redbook CD, this isn't a term AFAIK that is used in the UK, and the context with which i've seen it at this site to me means that Redbook refers to any standard CD player

HDCD, standard Redbook CD (so can be listened to on a standard player) but with some extra details hidden away (not sure what... will find out later after i've got my DAC) that can only be heard on an HDCD player... consider an HDCD player much like an S-VHS VCR... it plays better than VHS but is still backwards compatible

SACD, to me this just means 'The DVD of the audio world' I have never heard one, but have been semi-reliably informed that the sound quality is much improved over standard CD

Probably of no help at all, if you wanted technical jargon... Sorry

May 26, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for that Rajan
biggrin.gif

That was all a really good read... thanks for the research
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back