Audio Engineering: UE Reference Monitors or FS MG6Pro?
Oct 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

sNapatz

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am new to the board. I am looking for cIEMs that I can use to mix or master my music on the fly.
I sometimes do live sound mixing. I use Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro as my working headphone.

I did research and have only two choices left for me:

UE Reference Monitors
3 BAs driver
Neutral
Accuracy
Dry
Separately sound
Less energy
Smaller stage

Future Sonics MG6Pro
Dynamic driver
Kind of neutral?
Natural
Coherent sound
More energy
Wider stage

There are very few threads about this two.

I am not considering in the terms of isolation, or the fun of listening.
I just need neutral/natural/ and analytical one.

Anyone please help me out. Any comment are welcome.
Or does anoyone have the other choices?

I will be very thankful.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:
Hello everyone,
I am new to the board. I am looking for cIEMs that I can use to mix or master my music on the fly.
I sometimes do live sound mixing. I use Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro as my working headphone.
UE Reference Monitors
3 BAs driver
Neutral
Accuracy
Dry
Separately sound
Less energy
Smaller stage
Future Sonics MG6Pro
Dynamic driver
Kind of neutral?
Natural
Coherent sound
More energy
Wider stage
Anyone please help me out. Any comment are welcome. I will be very thankful.

As a mastering engineer and sound restoration engineer, I highly recommend you look at the Frogbeats C4 and along with the UERM.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:
Hello everyone,
UE Reference Monitors
3 BAs driver
Neutral
Accuracy
Dry
Separately sound
Less energy
Smaller stage
Future Sonics MG6Pro
Dynamic driver
Kind of neutral?
Natural
Coherent sound
More energy
Wider stage
Anyone please help me out. Any comment are welcome.
Or does anoyone have the other choices?
I will be very thankful.

I've heard both. You can look here for a comparison
The MG6Pro is a stage monitor, which is designed for musicians on stage and audio engineers doing live mixing. It'll have a rise at 1-3khz to lift vocals in the mix and much better bass extension plus a much better feel for how bass will really sound when played live. The UERM, by contrast, will be flatter with a little hint of roughness in the treble. The more natural sound in terms of having excellent timbre--the real spot on reproduction of how a violin sounds, for example, will be the MG6Pro. The more neutral sound in terms of having less emphasis of a given frequency in the overall range for a more reference sound will be the UERM (minus the sub-bass).

I'm sure there are professionals using the UERM. It seems very well designed as a reference monitor. The chief audio engineer for the Country Music Awards uses an MG6Pro, just to give an example off the top of my head. It's popular on stage and for live mixing. I don't think you'll go wrong either way. I would email David Gray, the chief of operations at Future Sonics (grayd at futuresonics dot com) for more info on how the MG6Pro is being used for live mixing, etc. and whether it's the best choice for you. He won't steer you wrong. You can also email UE and see what they say.

Hope that helps.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 27
Thanks a lot for the replies.

How about JH-13 using in the audio engineering?

JH Audio just announced their new technology FreqPhase which will be shipped with every JH13, JH16, and JH16+JH3A. I am excited and wonder if how this would help improving sound quality of JH13 without adding any color to it.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the replies.
How about JH-13 using in the audio engineering?
JH Audio just announced their new technology FreqPhase which will be shipped with every JH13, JH16, and JH16+JH3A. I am excited and wonder if how this would help improving sound quality of JH13 without adding any color to it.

I believe JH are known to be very coloured and have a distinct soundsignature that most wouldn't call accurate, precise, or "neutral", but more of a fun sounding CIEM. UERM should be your best pick, but it is quite pricy sheeesh! A most cost effective solution would be getting the Etymotic ER-4S and either getting custom tips or re-shelling it into a CIEM with or without additional drivers.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 27
JH has a massive bass boost compared to the UERM. UERM can separate each instrument very well and have excellent positioning. Its vocals are quite upfront, but not dry at all.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 27
JH13 is quite neutral with the bass barely touched up. JH16 is nowhere near neutral so maybe that's what you're referring to but it's not marketed as their mixing phone and more a stage phone. I'm not saying the JH13 is better or worse than these others but they are neither 'very coloured' nor have 'massive bass boost'.
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
JH13 is quite neutral with the bass barely touched up. JH16 is nowhere near neutral so maybe that's what you're referring to but it's not marketed as their mixing phone and more a stage phone. I'm not saying the JH13 is better or worse than these others but they are neither 'very coloured' nor have 'massive bass boost'.
confused_face(1).gif

From their demos JH13 has much more bass than the JH16. My local distributor says 16 actually has less bass than the 13.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 27
I hate to say it but that is completely the opposite. UE18 has the same amount of extra midbass but less low bass as a jh16. You can see the typical twfk high frequency response on the jh16 as well. The ue18 has extra a bit higher up instead. You'll find the jh13 much more linear than either of these at both ends and more like a slightly weightier uerm. A jh5 isn't as extended but warmer sounding than a jh13 and a jh16 is significantly bassier than a jh5.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 27
Just found this:

The JH16 has more bass than the JH13, and when I'm listening at home I prefer the JH13's smoother bass balance. On the NYC subway I prefer the JH16; there the extra bass sounds better, maybe because it's easier to hear what's going on in the bass. I loved the way JH16 resolves dynamics; when the drummer is gently caressing the skins, or wailing on them, you hear it. That's something few headphones ever get right; the JH16's dynamic freedom is state of the art for headphones.

I next compared the JH16 to its prime competitor: the UE 18 Pro in-ear headphone ($1,350). From the outside the two designs look nearly identical, after all, they're both custom, molded-to-my-ears headphones, but the sonic signatures are quite different.
The UE18 is a great-sounding unit and very easy to listen to for hours on end. The JH16 by comparison is more immediate, with significantly better, deeper, and more powerful bass. But it's not just a matter of more bass; the quality, texture, and nuance are better with the JH16. The sound is more visceral, dynamic jolts kick harder. Vocals have more presence, and treble is clearer.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20005384-47.html

Find a new dealer.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 27
I think JH made it clear in his interview at CanJam 2012. JH13 has a frequency bump up 6dB around 50 hz, then go back to normal around 125-160 hz. JH16 has 12dB bump up at the same point.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 27
When I heard the demos the 13 sounds a lot more bloated. 16 was a lot tighter. 16 bass sounds a lot less than the 13s. That was my opinion too.

Also if its +12db on bass...isn't that not very suitable for monitoring?

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 27
If you are mixing and mastering get the UERM or something flatter and more neutral like the JH13 or the UM Miracle.

The MG6 is a great IEM, but it's certainly not designed for mixing and mastering.  For live sound mixing you won't be needing your IEM's much at all anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back