Jul 25, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrums /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regular cd-r = computer burner

audio cd-r = stand-alone burner

Can you still burn them on a computer?
Thanks!

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 21
Computer burns both, stand alone cd decks only burn "audio cd-r"s.

The audio cdrs are a deal struck with the music industry where each cd has a little tax on it to protect the artists. This was all back before computer cd burners became omnipresent.

Today, the cdr-audio spec is just a remnant of an ideal, and a system that ultimately failed it's goal.

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 21
So what's the best quality CD-R one can buy to burn tracks on??
blink.gif

howie

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 21
Same crap, get the cheaper....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what's the best quality CD-R one can buy to burn tracks on??
blink.gif

Taiyo Yuden are known for their high quality recording media (CD-R, DVD-R, ..).
Their products are sold under their own brand name, and rebranded (Fujifilm, Maxell, Panasonic, Plextor, Sony, TDK, Verbatim, ...).

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 21
Yes, Taiyo Yuden is the best. But there's no guarantee that Fujifilm, Maxell, Panasonic, Plextor, Sony, TDK, Verbatim are all made by Taiyo Yuden. For example there's crappy Verbatim ones made by CMC. Get the CDR Identifier program which can show you who produced certain cdr.

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 21
Mitsui MAM-A are the best, but expensive.

Taiyo Yuden are OK, but they do not last long enough IME. I have a bunch that are only 3 years old already starting to give my players fits.

Another good option are Verbatim DataLifePlus with Super AZO dye. I would pick the MAM-A or Verbatim DataLifePlus over Taiyos any day.

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 21
I've had great luck with Verbatim. Not a single bad burn or age-induced frisbee since I started using them with my old PII computer.
biggrin.gif

Plus, they go on sale at various stores all the time, so the value is usually pretty good.

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, so many different brands. I have some Imation "music" Cd-Rs. Can I assume that since they were not mentioned they are, in fact, the dog's a-hole?
blink.gif

howie

Try them out -- if work okay, fine -- if not, toss them out.
I went thru several brands of CD-R before sticking with TDK -- in MY recorders -- they all play in all my other players, too, even little portable Panasonics.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 21
I vote for Mitsui MAM Gold. I have used them for years with great results. At a recent mini meet I played some of my golds on a Rega Saturn through a Eddie Current Zana an I thought my burns sounded fantastic on this system. There were three other HeadFiers present with younger better ears and they all thought the CDs kept pace with the high end equipment.

But let your ears be the judge. If the Verbatims or what ever work for you, so be it.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 21
I have Memorex Black here,and i havent opened the package yet. I heard the black CDs last longer,so ill tell you in a few years when they skip.
smily_headphones1.gif
These were made in Taiwan,but i dont know who made them for Memorex.

Part# 3202 4751

Users who are viewing this thread

Back