Audigy2
Nov 5, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #31 of 44
I had considered the Audigy2, but changed my mind when (horrors!) intermodulation distortion turned out to be much worse than most other cards.

One review had said the TBSC sounds worse than even the old SB Live! for music - but the original Audigy sounds worse still. Too bad I can't recall the site which published that review.

Nov 5, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #32 of 44
I replaced my SB Live with the First Audigy and noticed a improvement in the upper mids and High's and i did not think more Distortion ( subjectivly). The Analog Circuits upon the board Look Identical Except that 5216 chip (Opamp) is not Present on The SB LIve. But both retain the junk 1458 opamps.

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:59 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by BoyElroy
SumB:

I'm not clear about what "unswitchable resampling" means. How would this affect standard 16/44 cdda or upsampled MP3 playback?

It's an additional and unnecessary sampling stage that cannot be defeated. Cons are decreased dynamic range, and increased noise and distortion. Pro's are nothing, save for big cost savings on dirt cheap AC97 codecs by the manufacturer.

Quote:

Originally posted by aos
Audigy (1) has option in one of the control panel gadgets to set the output sampling rate, to 44.1, 48 and 96kHz. And from some oscilloscope watching I can see that it does work. Now, it is possible that the upsampling happens in the Audigy processor chip anyway, from 44 to 48 - the original Live! processor was hard-wired to be 48kHz - and that the gadget initiates potentially another upsampling process (i.e. 44 - > 48 -> 44 (or 48 or 96)).

That's right, the EMU10K2 is hard wired for 16/48. The optional sampling rates only affect the final digital output, where the audio is bastardized by an additional stage depending upon the setting. This is intended for compatability with receivers incapable of accepting a 48khz signal.

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #35 of 44
SumB: Thanks for your explanation. This should teach me a lesson about impulse buys!

tktran: Many thanks for the link to cdreader. This was pretty much what I was looking for. Now I just have to get a new (new) soundcard...

Nov 7, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #37 of 44
I have the Audigy 1. I am currently plugged into the "Tape In" because I do not have any Auxillary specific ports. I get high volume background noise regardless of whether the PC is on or off. When I unplug the cables from the Amp the noise stops. I am thinking the is not a Sound card issue or if the Audigy 2 might solve this.

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #38 of 44
i've thought that the general consensus here was that the turtle beach santa cruz sounded better than the sb live! series and audigy series.
is the audigy2 "better" than the santa cruz?

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #40 of 44
How did the Audigy 2 get THX certification???????????????????

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
How did the Audigy 2 get THX certification???????????????????

Creative bought the THX logo from Lucas, literally.

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #42 of 44
The logo...or the certification? Can I trust THX certified products?

Nov 24, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

LucasFilm Sell 60% Share of THX to Creative Labs
Exclusive: A 60% share of THX has been sold to Creative Labs for the sum of $8,000,000 – that is the news reaching us here at High Fidelity Review from a number of reliable industry sources.

The THX division of LucasFilm is responsible for schemes as diverse as commercial theatre alignment, hardware licensing (both commercial and domestic), playback technology development and software certification. The THX Theatre Program works with the exhibition and post-production community around the world to deliver the ultimate cinema experience by building certified theatres that adhere to comprehensive and proprietary THX standards and in the last few months, THX has expanded this program to incorporate digital cinema presentation.

In the home, the most recent introduction is THX Ultra2, an extension of existing THX licensing requirements, a set of playback chain specifications that aim to replicate the movie theatre experience at home through certified THX home theatre and multimedia products. THX also license DVD-Video and DVD-Audio players.

Above all else, THX have promoted themselves and the brand as the epitome of motion picture reproduction, a standard embraced by manufacturers and consumers in most markets, with the possible exception of the Far East. Recently however, analysts and technology journalists have been questioning the motives of THX, as the division was seen to move downmarket with the introduction of licensing for small rooms (THX Select), multimedia and even mobile audio products. If the news of a merger with Creative is true, and we have no reason to believe otherwise, consumers will undoubtedly further devalue the brand, especially as most naturally associate Creative Labs with their range of portable audio, budget loudspeaker, removable storage and multimedia products rather than high-end audio/video.

Singapore-based Creative was founded in 1981 and is famous for, amongst other things, its Sound Blaster range of PC sound cards. In 1988, the company opened a subsidiary in Milpitas, CA, from where Creative Labs, Inc. quickly became a major player in the lucrative American market.

Creative’s own corporate literature states that the company’s mission is “…to expand upon its leadership role in PDE, utilising innovative technology, broadband and leading-edge designs for technically progressive consumers and entertainment enthusiasts.” How this will affect the research and design teams at LucasFilm remains to be seen, but one would expect to see their existing close relationship between the motion picture industry and hardware manufacturers remain as the driving development audio/video force at the newly combined subsidiary, while Creative’s contacts in the multimedia market will undoubtedly expand the market for THX certified personal computers.

It is said that under the new agreement between LucasFilm and Creative, that the former will retain the right to veto any representatives of the new company and any new technologies it develops. This affectively means that LucasFilm have the final say on the personnel heading up the new LucasFilm/Creative enterprise and any subsequent licensing arrangements.

At the moment, this information is unconfirmed, but the deafening silence from the THX division of LucasFilm (Warren Mansfield, Christina Lohrisch, John Dahl et al) when asked for their comments, speaks volumes.

Update: 01:45 BST 29/05/02: Creative’s public relations manager Phil O’Shaughnessy has responded to our request for more information. His reply, in its entirety:

“Thank you for your inquiry. As a company policy, Creative does not comment on rumors.”

Nov 24, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #44 of 44
Kelly> Thanks for the Very informative Post I agree with you in that THX is a joke. It always has been IMHO that THX is nothing more than the Equivalent of a Political Action committee in Government, Where Corporations impose there own interest upon an unsuspecting public. The only thing of concern to these types of Organizations are to assure a continued source of Profit by monopolizing Industry by imposing there own standards upon everyone else This kind of Thinking has been the downfall of High Fidelity ever since the Old IHF (Institute of High Fidelity) and later picked up by the EIA (electronic Industry Assoc.) These have locked out all kinds if R & D that would have advanced the state of the Art in sound Reproduction. All this, in the name of furthering your enjoyment. Why do you think the compact Disc was launched on such a lame 16 Bit 44 KHz platform? When better was available in 1983. Those THX certified Audio components include things like a 5 Channel 100 Watt per channel Receiver sporting a Power Transformer the size of tennis Ball. Featuring heat sinks so underrated that all kinds of sonically evasive protection circuits have to be included just to make it through the warranty. Just you wait a THX certified Boom Box is in the Making. Yes folks! Home Theater, for your outdoor Pleasure. Furthermore, No need to buy big expensive High-Fi components, a small Wave Radio is all you need. I could rant on about other Evils but will leave you with this thought

“If it tastes good to your mouth but gets sour in the Belly it is not good it is Evil" ppl

Oh I almost forgot since the EIA in the mid 1970's imposed a coservative power rating citing abuse like Peak Power and IPP, IHF and all other kinds of abserd un-true ratings, one would think all is well. However it is not first off the ratings were at first downsized due to manufactures complaining that prior to testing the equipment, It had to be Run at 1/3ed Power for one Hour continiously. that was quickly amended to one hour acumulated time. Now manufactures that violated this were soposed to be punished for fraud. However read a test report and see how often a Audio Amp or receiver will not meet its power and THD specs. are thay punished No, thay are allowed to continue the deception unchecked.

I knew not to get started on this subject but anyway on a somewhat related topic http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0122003915.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back