Audeze SINE Series
Apr 21, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #4,591 of 4,775
OK I'm not sure it interests a lot of folks around here but after using them for a while I can confirm these pads are the real deal. although very cheap, they are excellent quality, very comfortable and preserve the HP qualities.
I didn't have to modify my EQ when switching (using Oratory with just a bit higher shelf to get more air in the highs), and while it's difficult to do back to back comparisons because of the pads swap, there is no major change in FR that I could detect.
Overall these pads have made the experience of using the Sine over long periods more enjoyable, highly recommended!
Nice, I might have to try them for myself. I was also looking at the HD212 pads mentioned earlier in the thread. Both are cheap options so it's worth experimenting.

I start to freaking love these headphones. I didn't really know what to expect exactly but they really check all the boxes. The thing I'm the most surprised about is the timbre, I was expecting something a bit closed-in or plasticky but it's every bit as good as my open-backs, if not better. Sounds like a proper studio headphone with planar level of transparency.

Anyone of you use them with a USB dongle? There are more and more dongles with over 100mw output and I'm thinking of trying one for mobile use.

Apr 22, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #4,592 of 4,775
Looks like we’re on a similar journey with the Sine but I’m a bit ahead of you on the road 😉.
I’ve tried the HD212 pads (ordered from Senn directly). Didn’t fit very well, were not so comfortable to me and didn’t sound great. YMMV

regarding dongle I’m using the Qudelix 5K, very happy with it. Single ended it gets loud enough with compressed music, but balanced it’s always loud enough. Has a great app, USB and Bluetooth, PEQ and GEQ. Perfect little device!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #4,593 of 4,775
Looks like we’re on a similar journey with the Sine but I’m a bit ahead of you on the road 😉.
I’ve tried the HD212 pads (ordered from Senn directly). Didn’t free very well, we’re not so comfortable to me and didn’t sound great. YMMV

regarding dongle I’m using the Qudelix 5K, very happy with it. Single ended it gets loud enough with compressed music, but balanced it’s always loud enough. Has a great app, USB and Bluetooth, PEQ and GEQ. Perfect little device!
Cool mate, merci mon ami :wink: I'll follow your advice on the earpads, they look great.

Never heard of the Qudelix but this looks nice! The one I'm really tempted to buy is the THX onyx, it's not cheap but it would make a perfect stealthy combo with the Sine! It has plenty of power with 180mw for 22ohm. The Shanling UA2 looks also really nice for a much cheaper price.

May 1, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #4,594 of 4,775
I've been comparing the Sine with my two amps -the first one being very basic, it's the Fiio E5 portable amp which delivers around 100mw, the other one being the Fiio K5 with its 1 watt power (which is more than what Audeze recommends for the Sine). This is not the first time I observe this with an easy to drive planar but I think the Sine sounds better with only 100mw. It sounds more natural to my ears, as if the sound had more depth and natural decay with the E5, while it sounds a bit artificially clear and flat with the K5.

Also, the headphone is clearly less resolving out of a basic usb dongle with 30mw (Meizu Hifi), so it seems like using a portable amp with over 100mw is the best bet with these.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #4,595 of 4,775
I tried my CD900ST pads (same as Sony V6) which are super flat on the Sine and they don't work too bad. They do make the sound signature more analytical and flat but not in a bright way. It's still very neutral overall with cleaner bass and amazing transparency.
I think I'm looking for a lusher presentation but it's interesting to see how the closer proximity with the eardrums changes the sound perception. This is really like a fullsize IEM. I love the honesty of the soundstage with those pads. It's really like a HD version of the CD900ST actually.
Anyway I don't think these can serve as pads replacement though as they're just too wide to really fit the Sine securely.

May 21, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #4,596 of 4,775
Guys, got some AliExpress sheepskin pads designed for AT sr6bt to try on.
Turns out they’re a bit bigger than stock but fit securely enough, are genuine leather and memory foam and sound good. Insane value IMO and worth a try for the cost.
I went for the thick variety.
they are more over ear now (if you have small or medium ears) and are very comfortable.
I ear a bit more bass and more air but will have to compare some more, which is difficult because of the time needed to swap pads.
In any case they sound great to me, they don’t seem to remove any of the technical qualities. If anything I noticed more in the air frequencies.
Awesome quality for very little money TBH!

€ 15,68 8% Off | YHcouldin Sheepskin Ear Pads For Audio Technica ATH SR6BT ATH-SR6BT Headphone Replacement Parts Ear Cushions
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOkHLtv
I may just give these a go on my Sine DX. Could you post more photos of how they fit please 😊

May 31, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #4,597 of 4,775
I got two sets of aftermarket pads recently for the Sine.

First ones are Creative aurvana live pads made by Wewom. They fit the Sine very nicely and are quite comfortable but I'm not too fond of the sound, which is too v-shaped with a little bit of overblown bass and aggressive treble. The stock pads feel more balanced in comparison. I think the greater pads thickness just messes with the frequency response.

The other set I got is really interesting, these are HD202 pads made by Geekria. They use the typical wrinkly materials that you usually find on studio headphones. The sound they produce is a bit dry but very well balanced overall. Bass is super clean, treble isn't aggressive at all, and mid-range is world-class. It's a bit of an unusual sound but it's worth trying for people who dig this type of raw studio sound.

Now I would like to try some perforated leather pads which I believe will give me more bass with no treble madness.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #4,598 of 4,775
I got two sets of aftermarket pads recently for the Sine.

First ones are Creative aurvana live pads made by Wewom. They fit the Sine very nicely and are quite comfortable but I'm not too fond of the sound, which is too v-shaped with a little bit of overblown bass and aggressive treble. The stock pads feel more balanced in comparison. I think the greater pads thickness just messes with the frequency response.

The other set I got is really interesting, these are HD202 pads made by Geekria. They use the typical wrinkly materials that you usually find on studio headphones. The sound they produce is a bit dry but very well balanced overall. Bass is super clean, treble isn't aggressive at all, and mid-range is world-class. It's a bit of an unusual sound but it's worth trying for people who dig this type of raw studio sound.

Now I would like to try some perforated leather pads which I believe will give me more bass with no treble madness.
Geekria make some skullcandy Aviator earpads that fit the Sine very well. You could maybe give those a try

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #4,600 of 4,775
OK I'm not sure it interests a lot of folks around here but after using them for a while I can confirm these pads are the real deal. although very cheap, they are excellent quality, very comfortable and preserve the HP qualities.
I didn't have to modify my EQ when switching (using Oratory with just a bit higher shelf to get more air in the highs), and while it's difficult to do back to back comparisons because of the pads swap, there is no major change in FR that I could detect.
Overall these pads have made the experience of using the Sine over long periods more enjoyable, highly recommended!
I just ordered myself a pair 😁. Last night I did try some random cheapo earpads that my father had on some headphones. They were about the same thickness of these earpads I ordered only circular, not leather and not memory foam. But they certainly were much more comfortble on my Sine DX and did make the overall experience much much nicer. What I noticed was air improves a fair amount but the biggest change were the mids. Not how forward or reccesed they became. But how beautifully separated they were from everything else. The mids were focused, crystal clear and very distinct. Low end gained some oomph and kick while still being very clean, and treble also seemed to gain a touch of energy while being smoother but with more extension. Imaging also improved, felt like their was more room for the driver to breathe and do its work. I didn't feel a loss of detail at all, if not it improved. So from my experience, a thick earpad does not make the DX too V shaped. The DX does seem to have more forward mids than the Sine though so maybe mids just became better balanced. Once I recieve the new earpads I'll do more testing and comparison to my Avantone Planar and Ultrasone Edition 11 and take some photos of the Sine DX.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #4,601 of 4,775
Oh thanks they look nice. Have you tried them, don't they "v-shape" the sound signature a little

Just received these today, here are my first impressions driving them with a desktop amp (Fiio K5 pro).

These are definitely planar transducers and not second grade ones, impossible to mistake them with some cheaper dynamic design. The level of transparency is more resemblant of balanced armatures, but I think it's actually better than the few kilobuck iems I've heard. I don't think I've heard something that transparent in a portable package, except maybe something a bit exotic like the Stax SR-001 or the LCD-i4 which are not closed-back.

For someone used to open planar designs, the sound presentation is quite unusual. The closed design acts like a microscope that highlights every detail and forces you to pay attention to every bit of it. The imaging is excellent, you are completely immerged in the music, no way to escape. If that's your thing it's quite an experience, especially if you're coming from open designs like me. I'll have to see how I get used to them during long listening sessions. The precarious comfort makes it feel like it's going to be some kind of mental test lol.

The tonal balance is quite good overall, I would say it's a bit brighter than an HD600 for instance (but with excellent deep bass), I wouldn't call it a bright headphone but it can get a bit hot sometimes. But it's hard to say if it's due to the frequency response itself or the fact that every detail is literally forced into your ears. It's analytical without really sounding like an analytical headphone. Strange. Let's listen to these more and see how they fare after a few days of use.
I 1000% agree. The Sine and Sine DX a very very detailed headphones. They have a presentation where they don't make you see the music, but instead put you in it. For me the DX further improves this presentation by opening the doors and letting much more air in. So soundstage is actually bigger and that feeling of being in the music just becomes a bit more wild. I absolutely love the Sine and DX. I think they are some of Audeze best products ever. The DX for me performs on a high level, I personally preffered it over my Elegia I used to own. It was a big toss up between the two but eventually sold the Elegia and kept the DX. Why? Because I could hear the potential the DX had. After trying thicker earpads, damn the DX are a beast of a headphone.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #4,602 of 4,775
I 1000% agree. The Sine and Sine DX a very very detailed headphones. They have a presentation where they don't make you see the music, but instead put you in it. For me the DX further improves this presentation by opening the doors and letting much more air in. So soundstage is actually bigger and that feeling of being in the music just becomes a bit more wild. I absolutely love the Sine and DX. I think they are some of Audeze best products ever. The DX for me performs on a high level, I personally preffered it over my Elegia I used to own. It was a big toss up between the two but eventually sold the Elegia and kept the DX. Why? Because I could hear the potential the DX had. After trying thicker earpads, damn the DX are a beast of a headphone.
For me personally the Sines are a bit of a revelation in terms of soundstage. I've always enjoyed closed-back headphones but stayed away from them during recent years just simply because electrostats and planars were largely more common in open-back format. But now that I have closed-back and open-back planars, I can say I like the closed-back approach better now. There's a sheer realism in the way the stereo image is presented to you that I simply don't hear with open-back designs. A sensation of being in the studio with the musicians/singers that I find particularly addictive. You know how much I like the Avantone too (it's very hard to fault overall) and the Sine brings that extra sense of immersion which makes me enjoy it even more.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #4,603 of 4,775
For me personally the Sines are a bit of a revelation in terms of soundstage. I've always enjoyed closed-back headphones but stayed away from them during recent years just simply because electrostats and planars were largely more common in open-back format. But now that I have closed-back and open-back planars, I can say I like the closed-back approach better now. There's a sheer realism in the way the stereo image is presented to you that I simply don't hear with open-back designs. A sensation of being in the studio with the musicians/singers that I find particularly addictive. You know how much I like the Avantone too (it's very hard to fault overall) and the Sine brings that extra sense of immersion which makes me enjoy it even more.
The Sine has great imaging. And I understand what you mean about the soundstage. The DX for me when compared to the Sine has a more open soundstage but I wouldn't say it's wide. Its very similar to the Audeze LCD-X but for me, I found the imaging to be a touch more precise on the DX. With thicker earpads though, the soundstage is extrememly impressive on the DX and imaging becomes electrostatic pin point. The price to performance for me is honestly insane for the DX but the stock earpads for me really reduce the potential and technicalities of them. With the Sine, thicker earpads make the FR to V/U shaped and due to the closed back nature, it created heaps of reverb. If you ever do get the chance to try the DX. I highly rec them. Many people thought the original price of them was ridiculous, I was one of those people. But after trying thicker earpads and hearing their full potential. WOW. I am beyond glad I got them on sale and its still the biggest bargain I have ever got in my audio journey. I think these new earpads I am getting will take them to the next level, and if Audeze were to ever see this. @Audeze The Sine DX is truly a masterpiece of a headphone. Please bring something like it back with much more comfy earpads and updated tuning. I know you can guys can do it 😁

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #4,604 of 4,775
With the Sine, thicker earpads make the FR to V/U shaped and due to the closed back nature, it created heaps of reverb.
This is why I would to find relatively flat earpads that don't harm the frequency response too much. Maybe I will also try the leather pads recommended by Benaudio. Ideally I think something with perforations would help taming the upper midrange and control the bass, but it's hard to find perforated earpads that could suit the Sine.

Jun 15, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #4,605 of 4,775
This is why I would to find relatively flat earpads that don't harm the frequency response too much. Maybe I will also try the leather pads recommended by Benaudio. Ideally I think something with perforations would help taming the upper midrange and control the bass, but it's hard to find perforated earpads that could suit the Sine.
1623729942754.png

These are perfect with the DX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back