Audeze SINE Series
Apr 12, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #4,576 of 4,775
In general, fit and the positioning of headphones relative to your ear, even the toe/angle of the housings will all influence sound quite a bit; this can be measured. If I’m not mistaken, as pads compress and stuff, that will also influence sound too; though I don’t remember if anyone has ever measured this.

People have measured that effect in the Sennheiser 6-- series headphones. Increased pad compression due to wear has a significant effect on their sound, and I imagine there is some measurable amount of change with pad compression on just about any headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #4,578 of 4,775
Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #4,579 of 4,775
I read about those but I was afraid they would kill the midrange. I have those, do you think they would fit?
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...headphone-memory-foam-earpads-oval-perforated
They are quite big.

The Sine would have been a hit with over earpads, what were they thinking when they hired bmw to do the fancy design?
I doubt BMW is responsible for the over ear part of the design. I for one don’t mind an over ear and love their form factor!
My only gripes are the sub par Cipher cable (doesn’t drive them to full potential) and the fact Audeze left us in the cold WRT pads replacement.

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #4,580 of 4,775
I read about those but I was afraid they would kill the midrange. I have those, do you think they would fit?
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...headphone-memory-foam-earpads-oval-perforated
They are quite big.

The Sine would have been a hit with over earpads, what were they thinking when they hired bmw to do the fancy design?

Audeze definitely takes some design risks. Some niche products have worked out well like the Mobius as an audiophile gaming headphone (gamiophile?) or the originals planar magnetic drivers that they started the company with. And some of their products seem a little too niche to catch on, like the audiophile on-ears (especially the open-back version) with the death grip clamp force or the enormous planar in*-ears like the iSine series. Those less than fully successful products are bound to happen when a company continues to try to innovate.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #4,581 of 4,775
I doubt BMW is responsible for the over ear part of the design. I for one don’t mind an over ear and love their form factor!
My only gripes are the sub par Cipher cable (doesn’t drive them to full potential) and the fact Audeze left us in the cold WRT pads replacement.
I love the form factor as well (my fullsize planars look like tanks in comparison lol) but it looks like they were paying more attention to design than comfort here. I mean if they tested the headphone on 10 random people they would have realized the design was going to be problematic for many of them. Or most probably they did realize it and it was too late to change the whole design.

Audeze definitely takes some design risks. Some niche products have worked out well like the Mobius as an audiophile gaming headphone (gamiophile?) or the originals planar magnetic drivers that they started the company with. And some of their products seem a little too niche to catch on, like the audiophile on-ears (especially the open-back version) with the death grip clamp force or the enormous planar in*-ears like the iSine series. Those less than fully successful products are bound to happen when a company continues to try to innovate.
Oh I agree with you and I love Audeze for that. I think most of their products are very cleverly design and sometimes created a design breakthrough. For this one they just missed one important point and it's a pity they didn't fix it by changing the pads, they almost got everything right. The good thing is that this issue can easily be fixed by us with the right pads.

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #4,583 of 4,775
I use this Meze 99 2.5mm balanced cable and a Drop.com 2.5mm > XLR adapter with my Sine DX - it works great (as long as you don't mind the cable looping around on your shoulders.

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #4,584 of 4,775
I use this Meze 99 2.5mm balanced cable and a Drop.com 2.5mm > XLR adapter with my Sine DX - it works great (as long as you don't mind the cable looping around on your shoulders.

I've been wondering about that cable for a while. Thanks for the confirmation that it works with the SINE! On a related note, it's out of stock at Meze, but in stock here for the same price:
https://www.headamp.com/products/meze-99-2-5mm-cable

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #4,585 of 4,775
I've been wondering about that cable for a while. Thanks for the confirmation that it works with the SINE! On a related note, it's out of stock at Meze, but in stock here for the same price:
https://www.headamp.com/products/meze-99-2-5mm-cable
My pleasure mate - it also works with all of Focal's high end cans (bar the Utopia) as well as many Hifiman products, so it is well worth the $50.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #4,586 of 4,775
Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #4,587 of 4,775
I think Brainwavz pads coming with the same form factor, so yeah they will fit (a little tricky) and correct they are big.
If you like the Sine house sound you'll be maybe disappointed with that pads :wink:
I wouldn't mind darkening the sound signature a little bit. The Sine is very well balanced for my linkings overall but there is a slight emphasis on upper midrange that's a bit tiring. I will need to fix it (as well as confort) eventually or I feel like these will go away. I may have to test those Brainwavz if I dare to remove the stock ones (not sure).

Guys, do you know any other small closed-back planars that come up with such a balanced sound signature, maybe just a tad darker? I tested the PM3 a few years ago but found it too dark. I've never heard the Aeon Flow but I've always thought of it as having a bit of a funky signature. What about the Monoprice M565C or M1060C maybe? I think those closed-back planars have an incredible sense of presence and impact.

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #4,588 of 4,775
Positioning is definitely crucial with these and can actually explain a lot of conflicting opinions I read about its top end. I stretched the headband a little bit, which first of all mostly solved my comfort issue. But I think it also makes them sound a bit more relaxed and darker now when positioned carefully. Tonality is pretty much spot on for my tastes. I feel like larger earpads could help with the bass and the lower mid-range though, which are a bit polite compared to a fullsize planar. But that's it.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #4,589 of 4,775
Guys, got some AliExpress sheepskin pads designed for AT sr6bt to try on.
Turns out they’re a bit bigger than stock but fit securely enough, are genuine leather and memory foam and sound good. Insane value IMO and worth a try for the cost.
I went for the thick variety.
they are more over ear now (if you have small or medium ears) and are very comfortable.
I ear a bit more bass and more air but will have to compare some more, which is difficult because of the time needed to swap pads.
In any case they sound great to me, they don’t seem to remove any of the technical qualities. If anything I noticed more in the air frequencies.
Awesome quality for very little money TBH!

€ 15,68 8% Off | YHcouldin Sheepskin Ear Pads For Audio Technica ATH SR6BT ATH-SR6BT Headphone Replacement Parts Ear Cushions
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOkHLtv

Attachments

• 2435324B-4469-4D51-AA6D-CB86D15B4FE9.jpeg
    2435324B-4469-4D51-AA6D-CB86D15B4FE9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • C54AD56D-B971-48D5-AB81-9D3D3FF88CCF.jpeg
    C54AD56D-B971-48D5-AB81-9D3D3FF88CCF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #4,590 of 4,775
OK I'm not sure it interests a lot of folks around here but after using them for a while I can confirm these pads are the real deal. although very cheap, they are excellent quality, very comfortable and preserve the HP qualities.
I didn't have to modify my EQ when switching (using Oratory with just a bit higher shelf to get more air in the highs), and while it's difficult to do back to back comparisons because of the pads swap, there is no major change in FR that I could detect.
Overall these pads have made the experience of using the Sine over long periods more enjoyable, highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back