Audeze SINE Series
Apr 14, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #4,099 of 4,775
My order of cheap generic MSR7 pads arrived today (got them in gray and brown, like the brown). The fit is kinda loose, not as tight as I expected, given that some other users of generic MSR7 pads reported that such pads don't require adapters. Not that these pads fall off, it's just that they can easily shift around and I need to take off my headphones a bit carefully.

But on to the sound change: very disappointing. The sound becomes sibilant and kind of tinny, lacking fullness and warmth. Sure the soundstage increases a little, but the other two issues are big. These pads were cheap so no big loss, but I'm curious whether I got lemons (i.e. worse constructed pads or not quite the right construction for the SINE). I have read quite a few reports now that said SINE + generic MSR7 pads meant almost no sound signature change as well as fit without adapters. So if you are one of the people who's switched to generic MSR7 pads and did not note any sound signature change, I'd like to ask for a specific product and vendor link to try the pads that you got and are using.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #4,100 of 4,775
Sounds like they may be a little too thick. The material likely has something to do with it as well. It’s definitely a trial and error thing. I imagine all generic pads are not created equal. I imagine the loose fit is a similar thing with most pads. I think if you are good enough at sewing, you could just sew some fabric in the middle to make the oval smaller and tighten the fit. I don’t recommend the adaptors. I recommended and linked some pads a few pages back that to my ears don’t change the sound too much. I tend to eq these headphones anyway and may compensate for a diff sound sig. YMMV

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #4,101 of 4,775
Some dude way back in this thread recommended the Creative Aurvana Live Ear Pads. Anyone else tried those and is happy with them? Sound similar to stock pads? Comfort level better?

I found them for $12.99 at Amazon, not much risk: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Creative+Aurvana+Live+pads

I bought the Brainwavz angled pads a while ago. Final impression is same as other feedback I've seen: Very comfortable but too thick, so the sound is too far away from my ears. Stock pad sound is easily better.

After trying Bainwavz angled (distant, hollow sound) and fake msr7's (they fall all the time without adaptor, also sound loses energy and isolation is clearly worse), the Aurvana are the only considerable option i've found, no doubt. Mostly the same experience as with the stock ones but over ear. And they fit perfect and stay secure. I can´t understand why after more than a year discussing the earpads thing Brainwavz continues being an option. MSR7 without adapters shouldn't be considered also (with adapters i don't know, most experiences shared here are good).

Aurvana pads are the only ones i've tried that better in all aspects the Sine's experience
, i don't know why only a few people tried them on the forum considering the clear recommendations in the past from the ones who did it. I and other people have warned here about this (against angled or msr7 w/o adapters) time ago, but users on the forum change and information gets lost on the thread.

Hope it helps, good luck!

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #4,102 of 4,775
After trying Bainwavz angled (distant, hollow sound) and fake msr7's (they fall all the time without adaptor, also sound loses energy and isolation is clearly worse), the Aurvana are the only considerable option i've found, no doubt. Mostly the same experience as with the stock ones but over ear. And they fit perfect and stay secure. I can´t understand why after more than a year discussing the earpads thing Brainwavz continues being an option. MSR7 without adapters shouldn't be considered also (with adapters i don't know, most experiences shared here are good).

Aurvana pads are the only ones i've tried that better in all aspects the Sine's experience
, i don't know why only a few people tried them on the forum considering the clear recommendations in the past from the ones who did it. I and other people have warned here about this (against angled or msr7 w/o adapters) time ago, but users on the forum change and information gets lost on the thread.

Hope it helps, good luck!

That's indeed a problem, the scattered and overlooked information. There are a couple of issues: 1. is there's no centralized "sticky" post with sorted and collected information of user feedback, so one must use the search function and look through lots of random opinion posts and make their own conclusions. There were some strong statements promoting generic MSR7 pads as The pads to get in my searches, for instance, but I did not see any recommendations for Aurvana pads. Which brings me to 2. The sound signature change and comfort are so subjective, apparently, that some people claim there's no sound change or even an enhancement with Brainwavz angled pads, others say Brainwavz option is terrible, still others say that yet another option is their personal best, etc. It's all really subjective, and I'm learning that what works for others may not work for me.

Do you have a link to the exact Aurvana pads you like?

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #4,103 of 4,775
There are different chinese versions around, i don't expect them to be very different from the ones you linked in amazon but who knows... The link to the exact ones i bought is this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-F...276632?hash=item3af4a0b798:g:LBwAAOSwBLlVW1h~

I found difficult the fit of them on the Sine's, size is really adjusted to the headphone's shell (and thanks to that they stay secure on them). However if i, with the chicken's legs i have as hands, managed to do it, any other biped in this world should find it easy and entertaining.

Hope that your subjective impressions are coincident with mine, i find sound very similar to the original ones (subjective fact), but with better comfort (again subjective, now they are over ear, but little ones, so it will depend on the ears). They give me what i expected from the msr7 (pads w/o adapters that transform to over ear the sine's but still portable). I think that the key is that they don't have the fit problem with msr7's pads without adapters (objective fact, they fall again and again), and, i suppose that because of that, the problem of isolation (objective fact again, they clearly loose isolation in public spaces) and the associated leakage of bass and impact with it (let's leave this as a subjective fact, whoever knows what happens in the other's head).

Please share your impressions when you receive them!

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #4,104 of 4,775
OK, you talked me into it. Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered the $12.99 version of the Aurvana pads from Amazon. Not much risk with that. Will advise impression once I get them.

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #4,105 of 4,775
100% true .... Even on the O2 objective or ICan SE. Is a great difference in the lower end. In favor for the Ican.

The Ican SE is a perfect match for the Sine IMO.

Still want to try the M1060. But unfortunately not available here in Europe. And this hobby is eating my wallet atm.

man, kind of makes me wish i still had my sine's now that you mentioned it sounds great with the amp i'm picking up (although its the regular ican not the se). I had the jds labs c5 at the time when i had the sines and it sounded absolutely great, but I found out through the sine headphone purchase that I was a closet bass head as well, and not just a mids head, and they weren't fulfilling for me in that regard so I picked up some thx00's. They solved a lot of what was "missing" in the low end on the sines but it sacrificed a bit of those juicy mids. Why can't they just be breeded together :frowning2:

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #4,106 of 4,775
Hey guys, My Sine is getting shipped to me atm, anything a new Sine-owner should know?
I heard these in a local audio shop and the fun-factor of the sound just really hit me (with cipher cable), so I went straight to the buy/sell forum here and bought a pair...

I see there’s a lot of talk about changing the pads here. Personally I didn’t mind the on-ear comfort too much, but I’ll be interesting in some «modding». My pair will come with adaptors for bigger pads, are you guys all talking about the same adaptors or are there different ones?
Also, I see these Aurvana pads are the way to go? I’ll get a pair of brainwavz angled with mine.. might pick up a pair of aurvana pads then.
How does the sound change with bigger pads? If it changes too much I’m not interested, definitely wouldn’t want it to sound like the EL-8 (heard both and preferred the Sine).

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #4,107 of 4,775
Hey guys, My Sine is getting shipped to me atm, anything a new Sine-owner should know?
I heard these in a local audio shop and the fun-factor of the sound just really hit me (with cipher cable), so I went straight to the buy/sell forum here and bought a pair...

I see there’s a lot of talk about changing the pads here. Personally I didn’t mind the on-ear comfort too much, but I’ll be interesting in some «modding». My pair will come with adaptors for bigger pads, are you guys all talking about the same adaptors or are there different ones?
Also, I see these Aurvana pads are the way to go? I’ll get a pair of brainwavz angled with mine.. might pick up a pair of aurvana pads then.
How does the sound change with bigger pads? If it changes too much I’m not interested, definitely wouldn’t want it to sound like the EL-8 (heard both and preferred the Sine).

In my opinion, the sound with that pads changes too much. Hollow, distant sound, it's like a lifeless Sine. I've shared these impressions with different users through time, we all thought that buy was a mistake moved by the beauty and the luxury feeling of the pads (they are really comfortable). Anyway, there's some other people that liked them in the past...

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #4,108 of 4,775
In my opinion, the sound with that pads changes too much. Hollow, distant sound, it's like a lifeless Sine. I've shared these impressions with different users through time, we all thought that buy was a mistake moved by the beauty and the luxury feeling of the pads (they are really comfortable). Anyway, there's some other people that liked them in the past...
A feeling of hollowness, that’s what I disliked with the EL8 too.
Anyway I did manage an hour with the Sine just fine at demo, so hoping it’ll be fine.
They’re just so practical with the cipher cable (iphone user), sound great and look so sleek!

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #4,109 of 4,775
Just bought these and waiting to arrive. I'm really hoping that they are something special. I've never spent more on a headphone in my life so far...

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #4,110 of 4,775
Hi, new on this forum.

So i have the same problem with the earpad and buy the brainwavz and de aurvana to test the two.

As I still waiting them to arrive in my country, I was searching for videos how to change the earpads and I find this one

And man the tip of how to adjust the clamp force worked very well for me, if the earpads whas just a little bigger i would not change them.

Sorry for the bad english.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back