Audeze SINE Series
Oct 11, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #2,732 of 4,774
Hello.

Why buying a second sine just for the cable?

I got my cipher direct from audeze.
I told them about my "iphone7 problem", they fix my problem very quick.

I purchased the non-cipher version originally with the hopes of being able to get the cipher cable as an accessory at a later date. So far they are still not available that I know of as an individual purchase, so I purchased a cipher version sine and will sell the non cipher version. Hope that makes sense now. You mentioned that you got your cipher direct from Audeze, did you buy it individually by it self? What was the iPhone 7 problem? And if you purchased it individually, how much was it?

Thanks,
James

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #2,733 of 4,774
So I have had my Sine with the 3.5 adapter for a few months and have been as patient as possible waiting for the release of the cipher cable...... To no luck, decided to purchase a model with the cipher cable and then sell the model with the 3.5 to help make up the cipher cable model purchase, so right now I have 2 sines and thought I would do a side by side. Obviously there is an improvement overall with the cipher cable,

However, with one song I noticed distortion starting at 10 seconds to about 14 seconds into the song only when using the cipher cable, Thought it might be the new headphones, so I switched out to the 3.5 mm and there was no distortion. Here is the strange part, played the song on YouTube using the cipher cable and no distortion. So I am thinking this is a Spotify issue. But how can there be no distortion using the 3.5 cable on Spotify but there is Distortion using the cipher on Spotify. I have my streming quality set on extreme.

Can anyone explain this? I have not heard any distortion on any other Spotify songs yet,

By the way when I talk about distortion the best way I can explain the sound is crumpling of a plastic bag, as if there is a tear in the driver film and its vibrating at a certain frequency.

Also... Checked both headphones and same issue, so I do not feel it's a headphone thing, could I possibly have a bad cipher cable?

Song: Horse Feathers- Thisled Spring,

Thanks,
James

Hi,
I once had a problem with cipher cable (volume too low on my EU iPhone 6s iOS9 - Sine showroom model)
When I bought Audeze Sine for me there wasn't any problem. I have to mention that I updated to iOS 10 meanwhile
To sum up:
In my opinion there is a problem with your Cipher or iOS
Try to reinstall Audeze app and iOS maybe this will solve the problem

Received my Sine headphones...initial impressions:

So comfortable. Took a bit for me to get accustomed to on-ear as i have never owned a pair. Once I figured out how to position them on my ears they were great.

this will be very brief as I've only listened for a couple of hours

via cypher from iPhone6..pretty good. I like the EQ app to adjust to my taste
via Mojo from iPhone6... Really good, bigger sound, great separation & clarity.
via Schiit stack bimby/lyr... Ok this is fantastic.

I clearly need a lot more time with these cans but I'm very impressed with them and look forward to how they sound with some burn in hours.

Highly recommend

I have Chord Mojo and for me Cipher is more fun, engaging to me it's more analog, vinyl like.
However Chord Mojo is better for me than my 2013 Macbook air 13 headphone output.
I get similar volume for cipher and macbook but macbook sounds lifeless for me

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #2,734 of 4,774
  Hi,
I once had a problem with cipher cable (volume too low on my EU iPhone 6s iOS9 - Sine showroom model)
When I bought Audeze Sine for me there wasn't any problem. I have to mention that I updated to iOS 10 meanwhile
To sum up:

I have Chord Mojo and for me Cipher is more fun, engaging to me it's more analog, vinyl like.
However Chord Mojo is better for me than my 2013 Macbook air 13 headphone output.

You are right: Cipher is only useful when you have to phone with a Sine on your head... 
wink_face.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2,737 of 4,774
  Hi,
To sum up:

Well I've been doing a little troubleshooting.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Audeze App.
Song still distorts, but not quite as much this time, and in a slightly different part of the song (about 18 seconds in as well)
Downloaded free trial of Tidal and listened to song, under their "Normal" setting, there was no distortion through the cipher cable
Listened to song through Youtube video and also no distortion in song.

The song though overall, has a better sound quality using Spotify Extreme quality setting, outside of the distorting, so I want to continue to use Spotify.

Could this be a Spotify issue on this song? I switched my spotify to normal mode and song still distorted in about the same parts.
I just do not want to use Tidal, simply because the cost monthly is over 2x as much, but it does not make sense that the song is only distorting while using the Cipher cable and not also the 3.5 cable.

Anyone who uses SPOTIFY can verify this issue.

Thanks,
James

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,738 of 4,774

The song though overall, has a better sound quality using Spotify Extreme quality setting, outside of the distorting, so I want to continue to use Spotify.

While I am no expert, this makes me think Spotify may be introducing some DSP enhancements to make their songs sound more "dynamic". This could lead to distortion in some songs especially at high amplification. Moreover, the cipher cable introduces a 3db bass boost. The segment thats causing distortion has some loud bass cello. Boosting the bass in a song that already has poor quality data (not low bit rate but bad enhancement) could lead to distortion. This could be one reason you didn't notice it with 3.5 mm out of phone, which has very low amplification. If you have another amplifier, you can test with that to see if it is an issue with the cipher. I didn't see distortion using apple music and Cayin C5 even with bass boost.

Another suggestion is, in the Audeze app, lower the eq for bass/mid bass frequencies < 200 Hz by 1-2 db and see if the distortion goes away.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #2,739 of 4,774
I actually think they may be making the songs less dynamic because I think they're doing some sort of volume levelling or dynamic compression to make all the songs a similar volume level.

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #2,740 of 4,774
I actually think they may be making the songs less dynamic because I think they're doing some sort of volume levelling or dynamic compression to make all the songs a similar volume level.

This has been reported for Spotify, Apple Music and others. However it isn't they who are making the music less dynamic, it is the record label. The record label compresses the dynamics to make it seem louder than other music. However the auto levelling software detects the high average loudness and knocks it back down to match less crudely made recordings, showing the compressed version to sound poor in comparison.

The auto levelling algorithms appear to have come from the tv broadcast industry, to knock back the overly loud advertising industry.

Good news for music if the ejits in the music industry stop ruining our music.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #2,742 of 4,774
Finaly foobar2000 made mobile version for iOS !
Apple music has this digital glare and metallic treble to the sound, sounds cold and dull...
Foobar2000 was My favourite media player when I was on windows back in the day, when I switched to mac and iOS I kind of missed foobar2000, it's simplecity , sound quality and the fact that it's free...

Now I get to have it at least on my iPad and iPhone ...

2my ears foobar2000 sounds better than onkyo hf player and many other media players out there that cost money....

Sine/cipher/foobar2000 sounds sweet!

http://mobile.foobar2000.com

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,743 of 4,774

That was actually my point. Compression reduces dynamic range, so to prevent their songs from sounding dull, they may be adding some DSP correction to increase sharpness of transients, or punchiness of bass, to make these songs sound more 'dynamic'. However that could lead to distortion and poor sound quality in some cases ('one setting fits all' doesn't work all the time), because the extra data is simply not there. I have the Boom player on mac (a spinoff of foobar actually) which has a 'fidelity' setting that does something like that. It sounds good in some songs, and horrible in others, specially with increased amplification.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #2,744 of 4,774
What's the highest resolution cipher can play?
24/192?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back