Audeze SINE Series
Jul 7, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,771 of 4,775
  I've changed the ear pads to Marshall Monitor pads. What this does is a few things; the ear pads are thicker so there's a soundstage improvement and they're also wider, so it changes the Sine to over-ear, although the Marshall Monitor ear pads are only barely "over ear" and may still be on ear for some.

do you have a picture??

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,772 of 4,775
anyone tried to connect Sine with Cipher cable to Macbook ?? Any adapter that works ?

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,773 of 4,775

Does it need the E12 for a good output volume or can the X5 drive the Sine well enough by itself? I tend to not bother with amps anymore because of the bulk they present unfortunately.

Oh yeah. At 90/120 volume in low gain mode, it was plenty loud.

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,775 of 4,775
Jul 7, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,777 of 4,775
How would the sines with cipher fair for someone looking at a single headphone for both home and portable use? I don't plan on having seperate rigs and portability is a must. Thanks!

Depends on how exacting you are as an audiophile. I have a very high-end setup at home which the sines cannot match.  But for portable use with the Cipher cable they shine.   Often I use the Sines + Cipher with my iPhone 6 at home when I am not near my main system, and feel quite satisfied.  YMMV

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #1,778 of 4,775
@JPizzzle
on-ear for long sessions at home could be annoying in terms of comfort, sound wise Sine is a good all-arounder.
and your words " not planing to have separate rigs"  kind of tells me what your demands are as "audiophile "    so yehhhh i recommend Sine as far as sound goes, but once again , on-ear design could get uncomfortable with long sessions ...

also i recommend  Yamaha mt-220 , its portable , great isolation , full size over the ear headphone with great dynamic and level of detail , prominent lowend, and smooth highs , kind of reminds me of Sine, but less refine , after all its not Planar , but for dynamic driver its silky smooth ...

Maybe in your position Yamaha Mt220 is a better option... 

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,779 of 4,775
Depends on how exacting you are as an audiophile. I have a very high-end setup at home which the sines cannot match.  But for portable use with the Cipher cable they shine.   Often I use the Sines + Cipher with my iPhone 6 at home when I am not near my main system, and feel quite satisfied.  YMMV

Although I've owned quality cans in the past. I would be more of a beginner audiophile (if even I would call myself that). I've owned the grado ps500e's and returned them due to the inconvenience of the open design and also the comfort. I've also had different iem's such as the klipsch x20i's and shure's.

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #1,780 of 4,775
@JPizzzle

on-ear for long sessions at home could be annoying in terms of comfort, sound wise Sine is a good all-arounder.
and your words " not planing to have separate rigs"  kind of tells me what your demands are as "audiophile "    so yehhhh i recommend Sine as far as sound goes, but once again , on-ear design could get uncomfortable with long sessions ...

also i recommend  Yamaha mt-220 , its portable , great isolation , full size over the ear headphone with great dynamic and level of detail , prominent lowend, and smooth highs , kind of reminds me of Sine, but less refine , after all its not Planar , but for dynamic driver its silky smooth ...

Maybe in your position Yamaha Mt220 is a better option... 

Thanks for the tips. I should also point out aesthetics and simplicity is factor for me. Would rather avoid amps and dacs outside of the cipher. I'm hoping the sine will check all the boxes. Should be arriving today!

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #1,781 of 4,775
Have you guys experimented with EQ on cipher ?
Any advice on that?

I'm not going sing EQ in general so it's kind of new to me...
My EQ so far:
+1db on 500hz
+1db on 1khz
-5db on 16khz

Any of you using EQ on cipher?

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #1,782 of 4,775

Brainwave pads were too loose and kept slipping off for me, did that happen to you? The Monitor pads stay on without issue, almost like they were made for them. Ultimately though, the Monitor pads are some synthetic material and I want either real leather or velour because I know it will sound even better, which is why I sent them off to Vesper audio so they could make them for me. 

Hmm...For me, I was able to attach the Brainwavz pads onto the Sine without any issue. I was able to seal them in the grooves w/ some effort. When they are on the head however, they do keep slipping and I have to adjust....plus they look weird. I look like one of those guys in a firing range w/ soundproof headphones. The pads change the sound too much so I returned to stock pads. Haha.

Anyway, cool, let us know when your velour pads come in. I'd love to hear what you think about them. Cheers!

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #1,783 of 4,775
  Hmm...For me, I was able to attach the Brainwavz pads onto the Sine without any issue. I was able to seal them in the grooves w/ some effort. When they are on the head however, they do keep slipping and I have to adjust....plus they look weird. I look like one of those guys in a firing range w/ soundproof headphones. The pads change the sound too much so I returned to stock pads. Haha.

Anyway, cool, let us know when your velour pads come in. I'd love to hear what you think about them. Cheers!

I'm interested too, but they got lost in the mail when I sent them to Vesper Audio, so unless i get some more stock pads to send to them, Vesper Audio won't know what the measurements are and they can't make them.

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #1,784 of 4,775

I'm interested too, but they got lost in the mail when I sent them to Vesper Audio, so unless i get some more stock pads to send to them, Vesper Audio won't know what the measurements are and they can't make them.

Damn. That sucks man. Hope they find it. Maybe you could ask Audeze for the Sine pad specs?

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #1,785 of 4,775
Is there any shop that sells only the cipher cable for the SINE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back