Audeze SINE Series
Sep 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,706 of 4,774
Audeze Sine with the 3.5mm cable has been discontinued, and retailers have limited stock of the 3.5mm/Lightning version. New gen for the holidays? :D

Just checked the Audeze website. Both the 3.5 mm and cipher/lightening versions of Sine are available for order, new. Where did you see this?

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #3,708 of 4,774
Hmm ... it shows in stock at Adorama though. Lets see ...

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3,710 of 4,774
They are being phased out. Keep your eyes peeled for dropping prices. I hope there is a V2.0 coming out, with just a tad more bass.

It's the rolled-off bass that keeps the SINE from greatness for me. That and the few narrow spikes in the upper mids/lower treble. Hopefully, v2 will fix those. I love everything else about them, even the comfort.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #3,711 of 4,774
They are on sale on Adorama for $299 with cipher cable! You have to go through a Deal website first though..

At that price I couldnt resist, but I also have TH-X00 purplehearts coming tommorow. I may need to sell something now :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,714 of 4,774
Different experiences, i find it very small, too much inside the head. On the other hand instrument separation and something i could call "coherence" of the space sound excellent to my ears, su it's just that i miss more space in the sound. Sorry for my basic language, i don't find a better way to describe it.

Isolation is for me, with the obvious need of a bass increase, their big disadvantage to consider them truly portable. Bass is lost on the go unless you elevate the volume to sick levels, so both changes would definitely exploit all the potential found in this first version of the sine. However this is pure speculation, there are no news about it, right?

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,715 of 4,774
I thought the soundstage was great for how small they are. Isolation could definitely be better though.

They still have a 70x80mm driver, not small by any means, and they are well-vented headphone, hence the relatively low isolation. Considering those things, the soundstage is pretty darn small. From what I understand, Audeze 'phones generally have smaller-than-expected soundstage.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #3,716 of 4,774
Compared to my Sennheiser Amperior, the soundstage is much better. Compared to V mode M100, it's similar, maybe still a little better. For the price they will be on sale, I think it's good. Maybe not 500 dollar good though.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,717 of 4,774
They still have a 70x80mm driver, not small by any means, and they are well-vented headphone, hence the relatively low isolation. Considering those things, the soundstage is pretty darn small. From what I understand, Audeze 'phones generally have smaller-than-expected soundstage.

These are closed back phones. They may have weak isolation and sound leakage from outside, but that doesn't compare to a true open back implementation in terms of venting. For closed back, I think they have pretty decent soundstage. Also it depends on the source and amp. For example, through the Schiit Jotunheim+Mimby combo, the soundstage improves a lot going balanced. In spite of being mobile phones, they things love power. Feed them some, and they start behaving like bigger phones to some extent.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #3,718 of 4,774
These are closed back phones. They may have weak isolation and sound leakage from outside, but that doesn't compare to a true open back implementation in terms of venting. For closed back, I think they have pretty decent soundstage. Also it depends on the source and amp. For example, through the Schiit Jotunheim+Mimby combo, the soundstage improves a lot going balanced. In spite of being mobile phones, they things love power. Feed them some, and they start behaving like bigger phones to some extent.

Balanced or low crosstalk will help any headphones have better soundstage, but in my opinion the SINE always sound pretty closed in. I know that they are closed 'phones, but they have narrower soundstage than many closed headphones I've heard. Even the far less impressive and less expensive DT770 have a wider presentation.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #3,719 of 4,774
I'm sure they will sound better with stationary amps, but they were sold as mobile phones, a more portable version of the planar technology. My Headstage Arrow, in my opinion a good, ultraportable miniamp, is enough to move them and give me the dynamic sound i can't find just straight of my Cowon Plenue D, but doesn't open so much the soundstage, i still find it narrow (not expecting an open back performance, obviously). Maybe a Mojo or something like that could solve it, but well, i think that the fact we were commenting is that straight out of the fabric, even connected to a good mid-fi dap (ibasso dx90) , with not top of the line sources, in normal "on the go" situations, the soundstage feels narrow for some people. However there are lots of ears and tastes out there, i would love to hear them with that Schiit...

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #3,720 of 4,774
Got it. I wouldn't argue with your POV, since sound is subjective to some extent (as you guys pointed out) and there's no way to measure soundstage with numbers etc (or is there? I don't know) :). The other closed phone that I have heard for a long time is the Audio Technica M50, and the Sine seems to have a similar soundstage to M50 with single ended cable, and clearly superior when going balanced. Speaking of crosstalk, I think theres a great opportunity for Audeze to implement these things in the cipher cable and allow people to tweak the sound to their liking... Hopefully their Roon DSP filters will be implemented in the cipher cable. Then we may have a better soundstage in the Sine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back