Audeze SINE Series
Oct 5, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #2,701 of 4,774
  Thanks for respond. Is it annoying to change between 3.5mm and cipher whenever portable or on the go?

It's annoying for me, but it's not difficult. I use the Cipher for phone calls, everyone tells me how clear my voice sounds when using the cipher. So for long flights, regular cable, but when walking around and need to make calls, I use the cipher

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,702 of 4,774
  Thanks for respond. Is it annoying to change between 3.5mm and cipher whenever portable or on the go?

I agree it is a bit annoying to change the cable everytime depending on home or mobile use, specially when there are two plugs to be inserted etc. I prefer the one-sided plug of ATH-M50 or Senn 598. Much easier, and you don't even have to take off the headphones from your head. I wish Audeze designed the Sine with a single plug. Also, one has to wind and stow away one set of cable, then take out the other set. It became so inconvenient for me, I avoid using the Sine in a mobile environment.

Instead of incorporating the cipher in a separate cable, they could have made it into a dongle where one can insert a 3.5 mm plug to use more conveniently.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,703 of 4,774
I ordered Audeze Sine and it will be tomorrow in my house. I guess that I will have to use them for 14 day period and decide to return or keep cipher for phone calls, videos from yt etc.
Cipher can be useful  because new Iphone doesn't have 3.5mm (future proof)

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #2,704 of 4,774
  I ordered Audeze Sine and it will be tomorrow in my house. I guess that I will have to use them for 14 day period and decide to return or keep cipher for phone calls, videos from yt etc.
Cipher can be useful  because new Iphone doesn't have 3.5mm (future proof)

Actually, apple includes a lightning to 3.5 adapter with the iphone 7, which is a DAC by itself, although the specs or quality is unavailable. So any existing headphone should be compatible with the new iphone. However I think cipher is still useful for the reasons you stated, plus it has a DSP which opens up future possibilities of what Audeze can do with it. Moreover for $50, it is a decent companion to the Sine in terms of sound quality, specially in a mobile environment.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #2,705 of 4,774
Actually, apple includes a lightning to 3.5 adapter with the iphone 7, which is a DAC by itself, although the specs or quality is unavailable. So any existing headphone should be compatible with the new iphone. However I think cipher is still useful for the reasons you stated, plus it has a DSP which opens up future possibilities of what Audeze can do with it. Moreover for $50, it is a decent companion to the Sine in terms of sound quality, specially in a mobile environment.

Innerfidelity reprinted some early measurements of the adapter and it has significantly lower output impedance than the iPhone headphone socket. Into inefficient headphones like the sine and pm3 this can give around 1dB extra output which is useful, along with the better control.

Only a quick test suggested the sines sounded better on the adapter than the iPhone 6S, although the extra 1dB is difficult to ignore.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2,706 of 4,774
Innerfidelity reprinted some early measurements of the adapter and it has significantly lower output impedance than the iPhone headphone socket. Into inefficient headphones like the sine and pm3 this can give around 1dB extra output which is useful, along with the better control.

Only a quick test suggested the sines sounded better on the adapter than the iPhone 6S, although the extra 1dB is difficult to ignore.

Went through the innerfidelity article. Interesting. The author puts forward arguments both in favor and oppose to whether there is a DAC in the adapter. If it produces more dynamic range and cleaner signal than the iphone headphone out, it would be great to use with IEMs, specially for $10.

BTW, even if the output signal is strong enough to play the Sine loudly, it doesn't mean it will sound better. The peak power also matters, not just the average power. For example on Cayin C5, Audeze Sine sounds compressed and flat at low gain setting compared to high gain setting, when both volumes are set to the same decibel level.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #2,707 of 4,774
The included adapter sounds like crap.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #2,709 of 4,774
Compared to what? The headphone out (if it had one), the Sine Cypher cable, or some high end rig?

Compared to the cipher cable, sorry. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,710 of 4,774
Oct 6, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #2,711 of 4,774
How does it sound with IEMs, compared to iphone headphone out?

Haven't tried IEMs for months and that was only at a meet.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #2,712 of 4,774
Anyone tried Cipher>iphone7 adapter>macbook 3.5mm?

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,713 of 4,774

Just got 2 sets of leather pads from Vesper Audio wowowowWOW!!

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #2,714 of 4,774

Just got 2 sets of leather pads from Vesper Audio wowowowWOW!!

I was just about to post about my pads haha. I just got mine from Vesper today. Initial impressions are very positive. Craftsmanship is pretty good. The comfort level has definitely improved. My medium to small-ish ears to do not touch grills. I think I sense more space but I don't want to do a bunch of A/B testing to confirm. I'm not sure how much abuse the leather ring (that holds the ear pad in place) can take. Is it worth the money? I'd say yes, especially at the moment. They're a little pricey but it's a premium product that is not mass produced.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back