Audeze SINE Series
Sep 30, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #2,671 of 4,774

Correct: Sine is not portable ...it is big, heavy, unstable , thus... transportable !
This is why Cipher Cable is useless.
IEMs are portable.

Sine is not big, it is the same size as other over ears, and people travel with them by putting them around their necks as they do with other portable headphones. You don't need an extra bag to carry it. It is heavy, I agree, but not too much and actually lighter than headphones in its technological and sonic category that is planar magnetic and mid-fi range. I didn't get the unstable part. To me it looks pretty stable and adjustable, for example rotate the earcups to adjust the forward angle etc.

The cipher cable is sonically not bad, and it has some other functionalities like call buttons and microphone, but this headphone can be way way better with a powerful dedicated amp with it's own battery. What I would have really liked is, if they made the cipher bluetooth enabled with aptx like the btunes, and redesigned Sine to accept a single 2.5 mm rather than on both sides. In that case, cipher will have a battery and has to be recharged, but that's OK with me. The cable for Sine is somewhat stiff and hangs around my pocket which is annoying while traveling.

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,672 of 4,774

Correct: Sine is not portable ...it is big, heavy, unstable , thus... transportable !
This is why Cipher Cable is useless.
IEMs are portable.

Correction:  Sine is portable.  It's compact and light and stable.  Thus portable and transportable!
This is why Cipher cable is so cool and useful.
IEM's are also portable.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2,674 of 4,774

Correction:  Sine is portable.  It's compact and light and stable.  Thus portable and transportable!
IEM's are also portable.

Lol, well said!

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #2,675 of 4,774

IEM's are also portable.

Sorry Bill, but I don't think you have been using SINE for the last six months like I did.
I owned (still do) a Beyerdynamic T51i over-ear headphones to listen my music from iPhone 6.
I thought that SINE was a portable device when I bought it.
It definitely is not because (I repeat) it is heavy (twice as much as Beyer) thus unstable on your head and -I already reported here- SINE is also not at all comfortable and fragile.
My two points :

1- I added Brainwaz ear pads and the SINE that made them comfortable again. SINE are now my daily companions while working on Macbook Air, paired now with a brand new Burson Conductor Air Dac/Amp it is my daily usage (6 hours/day), i am very happy with SINE but it is definitely TRANSPORTABLE, not portable...

2- I discovered lately that iPhone sound quality was beaten -by far- by DAPs. Even playing HD files iPhone through Onkyo Player App and adding external DAC Amp such as Mojo or Oppo HA-2 is not reproducing the sound with the same quality of ASTELL&KERN AK70 . AK70 works very well with SINE... but I realized AK70 is so small and portable that the perfect match could not be an over-ear headphone. I am currently using LZ- a2s, and I am getting a more exciting result than with SINE,especially in term of cohesion, bass response and midrange.
Audeze recent attempt to take a share of the IEM market shows they probably reached the same conclusion but as they are now engaged with Apple they took the decision to promote Lighting . To me Apple iPhone is now -musically- an "has been".
I am now investigating further and expect delivery of balanced IEMs in order to use the 2.5mm output. Now this is PORTABLE:

Dear Bill, you may still pretend the opposite , but I simply want to share the result of my own experience with Head-Fiiers so they can follow my truly independent advises. I am not working in the audio industry.
HiFi is my hobby since 1970's... I know it's a long time, but I am still learning and I am happy enough to have good ears  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #2,676 of 4,774
I would not call the iPhone a has been.  The point is that a lot of us don't want to carry extra stuff so the cypher is really convenient and a good compromise. Sure you can get better sound with extra boxes or DAP but for convenience I will take the iPhone with cypher.  

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #2,677 of 4,774
  I would not call the iPhone a has been.  The point is that a lot of us don't want to carry extra stuff so the cypher is really convenient and a good compromise. Sure you can get better sound with extra boxes or DAP but for convenience I will take the iPhone with cypher.  

One good point with the latest IOS is you can remove Apple apps.
So I deleted "MUSIC" and all the files... More space for communications and internet.

When I want to take good pictures I take my Canon 
When I want to hear good music I take my Astell
I now consider Huawei for future phone. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #2,678 of 4,774
IPhone 7 seems to be a pretty big upgrade from 6S to me in terms of SQ. The clarity jumped out at me immediately

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #2,680 of 4,774
Quote:
What is your point, body?

it appears that he wants a phone, a camera and a digital audio player. Just not in one package and is willing to choose the better in each category instead of getting a mediocre experience using a phone to do it all

Correct me if I got it wrong @high-end-addict

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #2,682 of 4,774
Sure there are better options, But I disagree that sines with the cypher are a mediocre experience but i guess we all have different tastes.

Especially with iPhone 7-I was in the "mediocre experience" with the cipher cable until I heard it with iPhone 7; noticeable jump in quality to me

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #2,683 of 4,774

it appears that he wants a phone, a camera and a digital audio player. Just not in one package and is willing to choose the better in each category instead of getting a mediocre experience using a phone to do it all

Correct me if I got it wrong @high-end-addict

Highly subjective...

> When I want to take good pictures I take my Canon

What does it have to do with iOS? I also use my Canon DSLR when needed. It certainly is not a replacement for iOS and not a competition... For what it is iOS is an amazing picture taking tool. Go back 10 years and think how great iPhone camera actually is...

> When I want to hear good music I take my Astell

And I use my special gear to hear good music. iOS is a phone with a built in music player as far as I recall... If you want and can delete a iOS music app now it is awesome. But iPhone is a phone and not a dedicated music player. What is the point of badmouthing iPhone on a public forum based on your dislike of its music player? I quite enjoy having some of my music in my phone and always available. Who cares if it is not the best DAP on the market. Connect it to Sine and it sounds amazing. Could be better? Yes is could. But for what it is it is amazing!

> I now consider Huawei for future phone. 

Wonderfull. Most of us who don't live in Asia do not have such option. But personally I would rather use the best phone on the market which is clearly iPhone than a mediocre product...

But what all of that has to do with amazing SINE headphones?

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #2,684 of 4,774

Highly subjective...

> When I want to take good pictures I take my Canon

What does it have to do with iOS? I also use my Canon DSLR when needed. It certainly is not a replacement for iOS and not a competition... For what it is iOS is an amazing picture taking tool. Go back 10 years and think how great iPhone camera actually is...

> When I want to hear good music I take my Astell

And I use my special gear to hear good music. iOS is a phone with a built in music player as far as I recall... If you want and can delete a iOS music app now it is awesome. But iPhone is a phone and not a dedicated music player. What is the point of badmouthing iPhone on a public forum based on your dislike of its music player? I quite enjoy having some of my music in my phone and always available. Who cares if it is not the best DAP on the market. Connect it to Sine and it sounds amazing. Could be better? Yes is could. But for what it is it is amazing!

> I now consider Huawei for future phone. 

Wonderfull. Most of us who don't live in Asia do not have such option. But personally I would rather use the best phone on the market which is clearly iPhone than a mediocre product...

But what all of that has to do with amazing SINE headphones?

​why are you critical of my statement? I wasn't talking about your beloved iPhone, I was attempting to answer one members question regarding another members statement. Unfortunately you seem too eager to defend an inanimate object instead of thoroughly reading a post before passing judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back