Audeze 'Prototype-Z' headband lives?!
Apr 15, 2015 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kevin.T

100+ Head-Fier
First, I'll let the images speak for themselves.

I spotted these at the Montreal Audio Show last month (March 27th-29th) at the Tri-Art Audio booth. The guys at the booth told me this pair was lent to them and they didn't have much information about the headband. Needless to say, I was very surprised to not only see the headband after months of silence, but on an LCD-2 no less!

Luckily, Audeze had a booth 30 feet away so I made my way over to get some information. I spoke to a rep for a while. Instead of repeating everything he said and risk spreading unconfirmed information online (he gave many approximations but no hard numbers or dates), I'll just give the essential of our conversation: according to the rep, the headband has been worked on for a while and will be coming soon to the existing LCD line. (I didn't get any info on the Prototype-Z headphones, for those wondering.)

Of course, I tried the headphones with the prototype headband and it is very comfortable. I have the LCD-2 rev.2 at home (with leather headband) and these were not only noticeably lighter, but the weight felt like it was smoothly distributed on top of the head. I could see myself wearing these for hours without the need to reposition the headband once in a while. (This is a common problem I have with the leather headband due to the bumps digging in my skull after a while, and I know I'm not the only one!) I also didn't feel any excessive clamping force, it felt on par with my LCD-2. I would totally consider upgrading my headband if the price is reasonable. Bring it on!

May 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 15
Was just searching around desperately for any new info on this headband and glad to have found this info. Must have missed it a couple of months ago.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long!

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 15
I remember my short time with the Hifiman HE-560s, I really wanted that headband on the audeze headphones.  This looks somewhat similar.  They need to get this out into the wild.  It's the sole complaint I have for the my LCD-2s.  Amazing sound, but the comfort hits a critical low pretty fast for extended usage. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 15
  Are they really going to charge $200 for these?

We don't know the price yet. The headband is supposed to be available in mid-December, so we're only a few days away from finding out. However, consider that the default leather headband is 100$ as a standalone purchase : I can't see the new headband being sold at the same price since it's clearly an upgrade. It's been speculated in the LCD-4 thread that it might cost 150$ or 200$. We will see shortly!

Nov 30, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 15

We don't know the price yet. The headband is supposed to be available in mid-December, so we're only a few days away from finding out. However, consider that the default leather headband is 100$ as a standalone purchase : I can't see the new headband being sold at the same price since it's clearly an upgrade. It's been speculated in the LCD-4 thread that it might cost 150$ or 200$. We will see shortly!

Ok thanks.  I just ordered LCD-X and started reading that there will be a more comfortable band, but it will not ship with new model HP's except for the LCD-4's which is frustrating.

Nov 30, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 15

Ok thanks.  I just ordered LCD-X and started reading that there will be a more comfortable band, but it will not ship with new model HP's except for the LCD-4's which is frustrating.

Well, there's been speculation that it might be possible to pay to upgrade the headband when ordering the older headphones. If there's still time in your case, it might be worth it to contact Audeze about that.

Nov 30, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 15

Well, there's been speculation that it might be possible to pay to upgrade the headband when ordering the older headphones. If there's still time in your case, it might be worth it to contact Audeze about that.

That's not speculation.  I emailed Audeze and Kim said the headband will be an upgrade option going forward.  This was her response:
 The headband is an upgrade for the purchase of new headphones so there will be an additional cost, if you choose the headband as an option. Or you may purchase separately.

I have to assume the up.grade option will be cheaper than purchasing separately as they don't have to give you the old headband, but who knows what the price difference will be.  

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 15
I so want this headband for my LCD-X. Two bricks, sitting on a strap. 

Sad thing LCD-4 is out but the headband is nowhere to be seen on the Accessories page.

Fortunately, I'm now subscribed to this thread so somebody will alert me.

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 15
You could alternatively just purchase lohb's leather suspension strap which you just fit onto your cans. Way cheaper too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766559/head-cushion-strap-for-audeze-hifiman-fostex-t50-rp

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 15
  You could alternatively just purchase lohb's leather suspension strap which you just fit onto your cans. Way cheaper too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766559/head-cushion-strap-for-audeze-hifiman-fostex-t50-rp

Yeah, this will require buying extended Yokes from Audeze anyway. That's why the "official" way seems better.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Just got my hands on the LCD-XC and I love it to bits but holy heck is it heavy! Can't wait for this headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back