Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
May 23, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #5,941 of 7,191
I wish I didn't update the firmware. I now have a noise like the sea in both earcups and it's so loud I could probably record it.
They are unusable like this. Can I roll the firmware back?

Seems ok on Bluetooth. Issue is with the pd5.

Restarted PS5 and it's gone, weird. Ok it seems to come back in games only.

Gets weirder. I'm getting it with mass effect and not wreck fest.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #5,942 of 7,191
There's no way I'd attempt at modding my 770's, but i would definitely send them out and pay somebody do it depending on the price and if there's zero compromises to sound quality. I'd be happy with just a regular straight wire installed to be honest. The coiled wire is annoying and looks so dated.

Still, i'd rather go for the Penrose, but not if i'm sacrificing too much sound quality.

I had mine modded really nicely by the guys at electronic music services if you're in the UK. looked like a factory finish.

May 24, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #5,944 of 7,191
Any drop outs during gaming or movies within lets say 10 - 11 feet? Knowing me i wouldn't be able to tolerate a single drop out.:sleepy:
Latency is 16ms, in comparison to 7ms of a wired set of cans. That's slightly over double the amount of latency so you'd think there would be a slight audio delay weather you're gaming or watching a movie(Lip Syncing issues) unless you have Sync settings on your TV, AND finally i hope there's barely any sound leak. They are closed after all so you'd think they would be in the same ball park as the DT770's. I'm going to order a pair on Monday, hopefully they deliver!

Not many TVs are faster than 16ms let alone 7ms.

May 24, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #5,945 of 7,191
Any drop outs during gaming or movies within lets say 10 - 11 feet? Knowing me i wouldn't be able to tolerate a single drop out.:sleepy:
Latency is 16ms, in comparison to 7ms of a wired set of cans. That's slightly over double the amount of latency so you'd think there would be a slight audio delay weather you're gaming or watching a movie(Lip Syncing issues) unless you have Sync settings on your TV, AND finally i hope there's barely any sound leak. They are closed after all so you'd think they would be in the same ball park as the DT770's. I'm going to order a pair on Monday, hopefully they deliver!
You only have to read some of this thread to see that people experience some major issues and lots of minor issues with this headset. If you can tolerate those then you've got yourself a really nice sounding headset (but not a huge improvement on the 770, which is a good headphone to begin with). If you can't tolerate the issues people have listed, then I wouldn't even try them as they're just going to frustrate you.

May 24, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #5,946 of 7,191
You only have to read some of this thread to see that people experience some major issues and lots of minor issues with this headset. If you can tolerate those then you've got yourself a really nice sounding headset (but not a huge improvement on the 770, which is a good headphone to begin with). If you can't tolerate the issues people have listed, then I wouldn't even try them as they're just going to frustrate you.

Do you own them? I've read that some people haven't had a single drop out using them with Switch & PS5, while others have been experiencing several due to interference with other devices. There Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on here. The DT770's are a safe bet, but the entire point of the Penrose is to get an audiophile grade set of wireless headphones that no longer have you tethered to a receiver or DAC.

May 24, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #5,947 of 7,191
If you can tell there's an additional 7ms by ear then you're some kind of mutant man !

May 24, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #5,949 of 7,191
If you can tell there's an additional 7ms by ear then you're some kind of mutant man !
I can't speak for audio, but when it comes to gaming based on the numerous comparisons i've done, there IS a difference in button response time to lets say 1ms of a CRT SDTV vs 16ms on an HDTV. The latter feels a little delayed, and not on the dime responsive. CRT's feel so responsive to the point where you feel like you're one with the controller lol

May 24, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #5,951 of 7,191
I originally purchased the audeze penrose back in December 2020 for use on PS5. Used them for a few weeks. Great sound but so many disconnections. I have been using the pulse 3d since ps5 launch and have not had a single disconnect. I felt it was unacceptable for a $300 headset to have this issue where sony $100 headset performed flawlessly with connection. Both use 2.4ghz wireless. I have netgear orbi in my house and almost all devices are on 5 ghz channel. I really liked the sound of the penrose audeze. I play a lot of shooters like Battlefield and call of duty. The pulse 3d perform well and honeslty I should just stick with them but like most of us here we want something better. Before the pulse 3d I was using the astro a40 TR with mixamp on PS4 for around 5 years. Was very happy with how they performed and they never let me down.

PS5 and 3D audio is very immersive and the astro a40 with mixamp are made for dolby headphone so it was time for a new headset. I just completed resident evil 8 on ps5 and I was very impressed with 3d audio in that game with using just the pulse 3d. I was thinking in my head the penrose would make this sound even better. I decided to repurchase the audeze penrose today. I hoping maybe the new firmware updates will fix the disconnection issues or maybe I got a bad pair last year. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. If they still have the disconnecting issue I will return them again and just try to be content with the pulse 3d. Have others here had disconnecting issues with the penrose with the latest firmware update?

May 24, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #5,952 of 7,191
I originally purchased the audeze penrose back in December 2020 for use on PS5. Used them for a few weeks. Great sound but so many disconnections. I have been using the pulse 3d since ps5 launch and have not had a single disconnect. I felt it was unacceptable for a $300 headset to have this issue where sony $100 headset performed flawlessly with connection. Both use 2.4ghz wireless. I have netgear orbi in my house and almost all devices are on 5 ghz channel. I really liked the sound of the penrose audeze. I play a lot of shooters like Battlefield and call of duty. The pulse 3d perform well and honeslty I should just stick with them but like most of us here we want something better. Before the pulse 3d I was using the astro a40 TR with mixamp on PS4 for around 5 years. Was very happy with how they performed and they never let me down.

PS5 and 3D audio is very immersive and the astro a40 with mixamp are made for dolby headphone so it was time for a new headset. I just completed resident evil 8 on ps5 and I was very impressed with 3d audio in that game with using just the pulse 3d. I was thinking in my head the penrose would make this sound even better. I decided to repurchase the audeze penrose today. I hoping maybe the new firmware updates will fix the disconnection issues or maybe I got a bad pair last year. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. If they still have the disconnecting issue I will return them again and just try to be content with the pulse 3d. Have others here had disconnecting issues with the penrose with the latest firmware update?

The disconnection issues i keep hearing about are what's preventing from making the purchase. It's either try them out, or fall back and get a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770(80ohm) and a Sony eArc STRDH790 Receiver. Zero disconnects are guaranteed, but i'll be tethered to a wire. I have the DT770 250's, but the coil wire is a real drag, the straight cable from the 80ohms will be a hell of a light nicer. I've heard that the 80ohm's actually sound a little better than the 250's too.

Yet I've heard using headphones with a receiver might not work with the PS5's 3D Pulse Audio.
This is why i want to get the Penrose and a Sound bar, but if drop outs are an actual thing than i wont even bother. Sure, i could settle for something like the Arctis Pro Wireless, but there's no way they're going to sound as good as the Penrose, so why i even bother?

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #5,953 of 7,191
The disconnection issues i keep hearing about are what's preventing from making the purchase. It's either try them out, or fall back and get a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770(80ohm) and a Sony eArc STRDH790 Receiver. Zero disconnects are guaranteed, but i'll be tethered to a wire. I have the DT770 250's, but the coil wire is a real drag, the straight cable from the 80ohms will be a hell of a light nicer. I've heard that the 80ohm's actually sound a little better than the 250's too.

Yet I've heard using headphones with a receiver might not work with the PS5's 3D Pulse Audio.
This is why i want to get the Penrose and a Sound bar, but if drop outs are an actual thing than i wont even bother. Sure, i could settle for something like the Arctis Pro Wireless, but there's no way they're going to sound as good as the Penrose, so why i even bother?
I have Sony STR-DN1080 with sony core series speakers for 5.2.2 setup in my bedroom connected to PS5, Sony 65" Z9F, and Sony 4k bluray player. 3D audio from PS5 is only useable from usb connection or wired connection from dual sense. Hopefully in the future playstation has 3D audio available through HDMI.

May 25, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #5,954 of 7,191
I have Sony STR-DN1080 with sony core series speakers for 5.2.2 setup in my bedroom connected to PS5, Sony 65" Z9F, and Sony 4k bluray player. 3D audio from PS5 is only useable from usb connection or wired connection from dual sense. Hopefully in the future playstation has 3D audio available through HDMI.
But is the 3D Audio really even worth it? on paper it seems gimmicky considering you're staring at just a rectangular screen in front of you. for VR, 3D Surround Sound audio makes perfect sense. I plan on picking up a 65" LG G1 or C1 in the next couple of months myself. the C9 just isn't cutting the mustard anymore solely because of the motion blur, lack of MotionPro Rolling scan options AND it's 14ms of lag, where as the G1 & C1 have 9.5ms & only 4.8ms for 120fps gaming. CRT in comparison is 1ms, so it's getting pretty close. Either way, i'm more about VR these days. That's my bread and butter. Then comes the Nintendo Switch & PS5. Looking into getting an RTX3080 and being able to push games in 120fps rather than just 60. 120fps on lets say an LG C1 OLED, reduces a lot of motion blur, doubles motion resolution from 300 to 600 lines, drops input lag from 9.5ms down to under 5ms and of course gives 120fps.

As i mentioned earlier. I can't use a Sound Bar in combination with a receiver(which i'd be using for Wired headphones) because both use the eArc port.
It's either Wired headphones + Receiver + 2.1 speaker system, or ideally Penrose(with no drop outs. wishful thinking maybe?lol) + Sound bar system in my case.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #5,955 of 7,191
But is the 3D Audio really even worth it? on paper it seems gimmicky considering you're staring at just a rectangular screen in front of you. for VR, 3D Surround Sound audio makes perfect sense. I plan on picking up a 65" LG G1 or C1 in the next couple of months myself. the C9 just isn't cutting the mustard anymore solely because of the motion blur, lack of MotionPro Rolling scan options AND it's 14ms of lag, where as the G1 & C1 have 9.5ms & only 4.8ms for 120fps gaming. CRT in comparison is 1ms, so it's getting pretty close. Either way, i'm more about VR these days. That's my bread and butter. Then the Nintendo Switch, and Playstation.

As i mentioned earlier. I can't use a Sound Bar in combination with a receiver(which i'd be using for Wired headphones) because both use the eArc port.
It's either Wired headphones + Receiver + 2.1 speaker system, or ideally Penrose(with no drop outs. wishful thinking maybe?lol) + Sound bar system in my case.
I
Well my friend sound is subjective. From what I have heard on PS5 from games that support 3D audio I came away very impressed. Even games that don't support it like battlefield 5 and call of duty warzone I have noticed a marked improvement compared to just using bitstream dolby digital. In regards to your mention of ms for tv screen and audio. The average gamer has 300-500ms response time and the prose are around 200ms. Your online ping can fluctuate a lot also. Honeslty i do not pay much attention to that stuff because there are way to many variables. Who knows how much input lag the PS5 or Xbox series controller adds also. Just have fun and try not to worry about that stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back