Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
May 5, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #5,851 of 7,191
It was not a public beta. It was something that you had to reach out to them about, hence the small group. A public beta is something that anyone can download from their servers (or Google Drive) without invitation and install. As far as I know, regardless of how cool the affected users were, this was not Audeze's fault.
I feel like you are trying to ignore what I wrote and just focus on the word "public". I didn't call it a public beta I called it "public facing". They reached out to people on this public forum and said if you want to try out the beta firmware reach out to this email. It's something a company wouldn't do unless the firmware was close to being finished. You don't think Audeze had a meeting after that attempted beta rollout and was like. "wow we messed that up"? This is flooding the thread so I'll stop now. Apologies.

May 5, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #5,853 of 7,191
I feel like you are trying to ignore what I wrote and just focus on the word "public". I didn't call it a public beta I called it "public facing". They reached out to people on this public forum and said if you want to try out the beta firmware reach out to this email. It's something a company wouldn't do unless the firmware was close to being finished. You don't think Audeze had a meeting after that attempted beta rollout and was like. "wow we messed that up"? This is flooding the thread so I'll stop now. Apologies.

I feel that if those who bricked their headsets had exercised proper patience and waited for Audeze to get their desktop app update ready before flashing their headsets could have avoided the entire mess. I also don't consider the entire situation anyone's fault but those users.

May 5, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #5,854 of 7,191
I feel that if those who bricked their headsets had exercised proper patience and waited for Audeze to get their desktop app update ready before flashing their headsets could have avoided the entire mess. I also don't consider the entire situation anyone's fault but those users.
You've made that very clear.

May 5, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #5,858 of 7,191
Luckily for those beta testers (and others), Audeze doesn't share your thoughts and opinion.

May 5, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #5,859 of 7,191
Luckily for those beta testers (and others), Audeze doesn't share your thoughts and opinion.
I’m sure some of them do, but as a small company trying to enter an established market they do not have the luxury that I enjoy of reacting the same way. Having people blatantly disregard their instructions will always be frustrating no matter who you are. Like I said early on in the thread when people were getting their undies twisted about delays however, they are professionals who will actually stand behind their products even if the fault is clearly not theirs.

May 5, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #5,861 of 7,191
Your thoughts / opinions / logic / and reactions are apparently a "luxury" I'll never have and understand. I truly hope they serve you well, best of luck to you.

My thoughts/opinions/logic/reactions (whatever you want to call it) is all about self-responsibility. People who bricked their headsets because they didn't want to wait and chose not to follow instructions from Audeze, that's on them and they need to own that. Some have and that's awesome, they are good and responsible folks. Others, you, eschewed personal responsibility and put the blame on Audeze instead. Was it a frustrating experience? No doubt. Was it Audeze's fault? Not in the least.

May 6, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #5,863 of 7,191
It seems absurd to me that we customers have to be a beta-tester with a firmware that blocks the headphones (not my case) or wait for months for a new official firmware that it is not clear whether to update via smartphone or desktop app and introduces more problems than how many. it solves it by adding continuous disconnections from xbox that previously, under the same conditions, were not there (my problem). All after spending 300 euros for a product that offers an experience of use inferior to headphones that cost less than half.
I am very disappointed and given the time I have waited I can't return them.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #5,864 of 7,191
It seems absurd to me that we customers have to be a beta-tester with a firmware that blocks the headphones (not my case) or wait for months for a new official firmware that it is not clear whether to update via smartphone or desktop app and introduces more problems than how many. it solves it by adding continuous disconnections from xbox that previously, under the same conditions, were not there (my problem). All after spending 300 euros for a product that offers an experience of use inferior to headphones that cost less than half.
I am very disappointed and given the time I have waited I cannot even pay them back.

I certainly get the frustrations a lot of people have had with Penrose and actually agree with a lot of what you said. Headsets are always a weird place for me; good functionality/connectivity with trash sound or great sound with very mediocre to awful functionality/connectivity. I mentioned in my impressions post pages back that the software support for Penrose could generally be called barebones or minimal and the design blinding in a terrible way. I am a huge fan of Audeze (LCD-2 will always have a special place in my heart), but I do feel that Penrose was rushed and the company they sourced their wireless chip from could have been quite a bit better. That said, COVID has really sucked for everyone, from behemoth companies to smaller companies like Audeze. The product will improve and bugs will get squashed over time, just got to be patient.

Thankfully, my use case is really simple compared to other gamers. I don't use Sidetone (can't stand it in fact) and as a PC gamer I sit literally next to the wireless dongle. Heck, I don't even use the mic. I just wanted a wireless headset that sounded great, which the Penrose checks all boxes for. With the Geekria headband and Dekoni suede pads, the headset is now supremely comfortable to wear as well for long periods of time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back