Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 27, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #5,551 of 7,191
Here's the contents of the email including what the beta entails, looks like anyone can join the beta as long as they download it while it's available:

Hello

Thanks for helping us out with this beta test! We're reaching out to the community for feedback to make sure we can make the Penrose and all of our products the best they can be, and are excited about the changes coming for the Penrose.

This beta firmware will be available via the Audeze HQ app for a very limited time window.

At 4PM PDT on Monday 3/29, the beta firmware will available on the "settings" tab of the software for about 20 minutes. Make sure that you've installed the latest version of HQ and have your Penrose charged up and plugged in via USB.

If you do not see the firmware update available at the specified time, close HQ and reopen and it should become available.

We're unable to leave this window open for long, so we're not able to make special accommodations to install this firmware for users who aren't able to make it during the available window. If you're not able to make it during the specified time, we are hoping to finalize this build and have it available for wide release in the next 1-2 weeks or so depending on the feedback we get from this beta.

Once you've been able to give the new firmware a test, we ask that you reply to a short survey here: https://forms.gle/rpKeC5xZMyyUDWeDA

This firmware makes a few changes and adds a lot of new functionality:

- Makes several improvements to the mic quality and clarity over wireless.
- Adds an on-the-fly sidetone on/off functionality to the headphones by pressing in and holding the mic wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Adds an on-the-fly EQ preset toggle that will cycle through the 5 presets in memory by holding in the volume wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Fixes AAC support for Bluetooth.
- Adds a volume mix function for simultaneous BT/wireless connections. This can be used to adjust the relative levels on the fly while in Bluetooth mode by performing a "click and scroll" of the headphone volume wheel (click in once and then scroll up or down to your preferred mix).

As this firmware is still a beta, there are a few things yet to be implemented (they'll be added in the final build) and a small number of known bugs. We are aware of these issues and fixes are in the works:

- No voice cues yet for the new functionalities (sidetone on/off, EQ presets)
- There is a bug with the sidetone toggle that will disrupt function of the headphones if it's toggled on/off in Audeze HQ or the HQ app for Android after using the headphone control to toggle it on/off. This can be resolved by holding in the mic wheel as you toggle the sidetone function in HQ until you hear the sidetone turning on and off again.
- The HQ UI currently does not properly update when toggling sidetone on/off or changing EQ presets. Restarting HQ will show the currently active settings.

If you have any more specific questions or other feedback that is not covered on the survey, or have any trouble or need help with the new features you can reply directly to this email as well. Thank you very much for your help, and happy listening!
Thanks for posting.

I've actually signed up via the email route suggested by @Audeze and suggest others do so too. I am presuming that they're using this method as the HQ app don't have a registration page, and I also assume Audeze won't know how many have installed the beta if it's open to all albeit for a limited time. Therefore so that Audeze knows how many have it and issues Vs no issues I have signed up.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #5,552 of 7,191
Anyone wanting to try out the new firmware with the 2.4 Ghz + Bluetooth mixer, please email support@audeze with "Beta Penrose" in the subject. We will add you to the beta group and send you the firmware soon. There are quite a few new features including BT only mode, ability to switch presets from headset, BT+2.4 Ghz mixer, Microphone improvements etc.
Hey, thanks for opening this up. Thanks also for being open about the limitations of the beta... from the email it sounds like I should be able to live with most of them.

But will the HQ app allow FW to be regressed to official release if I find something that stops me using it on day to day basis?

Thanks
Chris

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #5,553 of 7,191
Here's the contents of the email including what the beta entails, looks like anyone can join the beta as long as they download it while it's available:

Hello

Thanks for helping us out with this beta test! We're reaching out to the community for feedback to make sure we can make the Penrose and all of our products the best they can be, and are excited about the changes coming for the Penrose.

This beta firmware will be available via the Audeze HQ app for a very limited time window.

At 4PM PDT on Monday 3/29, the beta firmware will available on the "settings" tab of the software for about 20 minutes. Make sure that you've installed the latest version of HQ and have your Penrose charged up and plugged in via USB.

If you do not see the firmware update available at the specified time, close HQ and reopen and it should become available.

We're unable to leave this window open for long, so we're not able to make special accommodations to install this firmware for users who aren't able to make it during the available window. If you're not able to make it during the specified time, we are hoping to finalize this build and have it available for wide release in the next 1-2 weeks or so depending on the feedback we get from this beta.

Once you've been able to give the new firmware a test, we ask that you reply to a short survey here: https://forms.gle/rpKeC5xZMyyUDWeDA

This firmware makes a few changes and adds a lot of new functionality:

- Makes several improvements to the mic quality and clarity over wireless.
- Adds an on-the-fly sidetone on/off functionality to the headphones by pressing in and holding the mic wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Adds an on-the-fly EQ preset toggle that will cycle through the 5 presets in memory by holding in the volume wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Fixes AAC support for Bluetooth.
- Adds a volume mix function for simultaneous BT/wireless connections. This can be used to adjust the relative levels on the fly while in Bluetooth mode by performing a "click and scroll" of the headphone volume wheel (click in once and then scroll up or down to your preferred mix).

As this firmware is still a beta, there are a few things yet to be implemented (they'll be added in the final build) and a small number of known bugs. We are aware of these issues and fixes are in the works:

- No voice cues yet for the new functionalities (sidetone on/off, EQ presets)
- There is a bug with the sidetone toggle that will disrupt function of the headphones if it's toggled on/off in Audeze HQ or the HQ app for Android after using the headphone control to toggle it on/off. This can be resolved by holding in the mic wheel as you toggle the sidetone function in HQ until you hear the sidetone turning on and off again.
- The HQ UI currently does not properly update when toggling sidetone on/off or changing EQ presets. Restarting HQ will show the currently active settings.

If you have any more specific questions or other feedback that is not covered on the survey, or have any trouble or need help with the new features you can reply directly to this email as well. Thank you very much for your help, and happy listening!
Hopefully if you’re holding down the mic dial to adjust chat/game mix it doesn’t start switching side tone on and off. I really hoped they’d swap the functionality of the mic gain-chat/game mix dial this update but guess not.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #5,554 of 7,191
OK, i received my MMX300/Astro Mixamp Pro combo (PC usage).
After few days of use, well, there is no debate, the MMX 300 is much better than the Penrose.

• mic quality is absolutly amazing, my friends are now happy to hear me on Discord.
  • the headset is WAY lighter than the Penrose (and that's obvious : no battery, less components) so the comfort is incomparable (remind : i have the headset on my head all day long). The Penrose put strong pressure on the top of my head and ended up hurting me. Its imposing format also became very inconvenient in the long run.
  • the sound quality is just as good as the wonderful sound of the Penrose (the only gold point).
  • no more issue with battery (I had to plug it in during my working day because it was not holding).

The only thing that I lose is obviously the wireless, but which sincerely implied too many problems on the Penrose (range, noises, crackles, compression...).

With a little sadness, I will therefore resell this Penrose which seemed promising but which faces too many flaws and too slow reactivity on the part of Audeze.
If wireless is not essential for you, I strongly advise you to opt for the MMX300 which is also cheaper.

Thank you all for the advices and discussions on this topic :)
Just wondering. Would using the penrose as a wired set have done away with most of your issues?

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #5,555 of 7,191
Just wondering. Would using the penrose as a wired set have done away with most of your issues?
I tried, and unfortunately no.

The mic quality (particularly on Discord and despite the non-compression) is too poor.
The weight, size and pressure are too large. A "simple" wired headspot is way lighter and comfortable.
And you'll also need the USB C cable plugged in to keep the power going all day .... (need power to use this headset even jack-wired)

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #5,556 of 7,191
Just compared against a Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro. Shockingly different, especially on the bass amount which is dramatically higher on DT1990 (like, 2x !). But I must say it felt like way too much to my taste now that I use the penrose, which offers what feels like more precision in bass... Is penrose supposed to be "thin" in bass ?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #5,557 of 7,191
Just compared against a Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro. Shockingly different, especially on the bass amount which is dramatically higher on DT1990 (like, 2x !). But I must say it felt like way too much to my taste now that I use the penrose, which offers what feels like more precision in bass... Is penrose supposed to be "thin" in bass ?
Exactly my thoughts. I think the bass is not stronger but strong enough and a lot more natural with penrose/Mobius

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #5,558 of 7,191
Anyone wanting to try out the new firmware with the 2.4 Ghz + Bluetooth mixer, please email support@audeze with "Beta Penrose" in the subject. We will add you to the beta group and send you the firmware soon. There are quite a few new features including BT only mode, ability to switch presets from headset, BT+2.4 Ghz mixer, Microphone improvements etc.
Excited to try out the tasty new firmware!

Mar 28, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #5,559 of 7,191
@Audeze is it on the roadmap to restore the last input mode on power on ? (E.g. if on BT + wireless, i expect the headset to restart on the same mode). I always use it in that mode, so every day i have to switch modes.

I also have BT "crackling sound" issues when phoning, I did raise a ticket. The only workaround is to disable/reenable BT on the phone (Galaxy s9). I hope this can be improved with firmware updates...

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #5,561 of 7,191
Bummer that there doesn't seem to be any performance changes/bug fixes in the new firmware. A more stable connection, fix for huge volume steps, and fix for random pops/crackles would make these incredible.

i hope audeze would stop using the 2,4ghz interference as a excuse, i have 5 wireless headset using the 2,4Ghz band, 1 logitech g933, 2x steel series arctis 7 , 1 corsair void and 1 cheapo china wireless headset and only penrose has this so called 2.4GHz thingy , and penrose is the most expensive off the 5, the china cheapo is like 10usd and doesnt have any problems with the 2.4GHz interference
I completely agree. I contacted support and got a fairly generic response saying to disable bluetooth on any devices nearby, move devices using 2.4ghz away from penrose, move router, use a powered USB hub for the dongle, etc.

In a world where people have tons of devices in their home using both bluetooth and wifi (most without any issue), I don't think that's an acceptable response.

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #5,562 of 7,191
Bummer that there doesn't seem to be any performance changes/bug fixes in the new firmware. A more stable connection, fix for huge volume steps, and fix for random pops/crackles would make these incredible.

I completely agree. I contacted support and got a fairly generic response saying to disable bluetooth on any devices nearby, move devices using 2.4ghz away from penrose, move router, use a powered USB hub for the dongle, etc.

In a world where people have tons of devices in their home using both bluetooth and wifi (most without any issue), I don't think that's an acceptable response.
I just don't think they listed the bugfixes, that's usually the #1 thing you ship, there must be some

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #5,564 of 7,191
Any response I've gotten from audeze or seen in response to anyone else about the wireless disconnects and range they say it's got to be another device nearby interfering with the signal. That's not the case though and they won't even admit the range alone is under par compared to any other wireless headset or device. I turn everything off in my house and my ps5 in connected by Ethernet and I still get disconnects with anything over 10'

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #5,565 of 7,191
Any response I've gotten from audeze or seen in response to anyone else about the wireless disconnects and range they say it's got to be another device nearby interfering with the signal. That's not the case though and they won't even admit the range alone is under par compared to any other wireless headset or device. I turn everything off in my house and my ps5 in connected by Ethernet and I still get disconnects with anything over 10'
It has mediocre range for sure. 10' same room straight from the receiver you shouldn't have issues. But if you're between rooms or around corners it's going to happen with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back