Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 25, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #5,536 of 7,191
Update 1 : I didn't take to completely flat, but from an indicated 15% to 61% took 1 hour (20:55> 21:50). I can imagine the rest might take another hour or so. I'll let you know.

Update 2 : now 23:08. 85%. So that's 15% to 85% in 2 hr 13 mins ish. Clearly slowing down slightly as per most lithium battery charge profiles.

The % above are checking the charge after turning on headset but while still connected - I mention that as seems the battery status in Audeze does update while charging with the headset turned off, but I think it does over-report the charge very slightly. Speaking of which - Just checking those with concerns on charge rate are charging with them turned off.

G'Night everyone - I've used up youtube waiting for this and it's now too late for me to crack out Demon's Souls - would send me to bed too hyped (or frustrated) to sleep.

update 3 : with laptop set to auto-sleep after 1 hr and without USB ports being inactive while asleep, headset went from 85% to 97% in that 1 hour. So slowing down as it gets full as expected.
This morning that last 3% took another 10 mins or less.

If I was charging from zero and using the faster rate from the first 1 hour of charging I would estimate that the first 15% would've charged quicker, say another 15 mins.

So my rough estimate is around or under 4 hours from flat to full

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #5,537 of 7,191
The "connected" issue is driving me nuts. These worked flawlessly on my PS5 for the first couple months. Zero connection dropouts, only a random crackle/pop here or there which was more than tolerable.

Now I can't go more than a few minutes without getting the connected error.

Does anyone have tips for how to solve this? Would resetting them help?
Reboot your router. That happened to me. I think it just changed channels and started interfering or something. After the reboot my connection went back to flawless.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #5,538 of 7,191
Anyone wanting to try out the new firmware with the 2.4 Ghz + Bluetooth mixer, please email support@audeze with "Beta Penrose" in the subject. We will add you to the beta group and send you the firmware soon. There are quite a few new features including BT only mode, ability to switch presets from headset, BT+2.4 Ghz mixer, Microphone improvements etc.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 26, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #5,540 of 7,191
Anyone wanting to try out the new firmware with the 2.4 Ghz + Bluetooth mixer, please email support@audeze with "Beta Penrose" in the subject. We will add you to the beta group and send you the firmware soon. There are quite a few new features including BT only mode, ability to switch presets from headset, BT+2.4 Ghz mixer, Microphone improvements etc.
Thanks. I’m really hoping you can add an adjustment that allows us to increase the side tone volume either through the hq app or via the headset. 🙂

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #5,541 of 7,191
Being able to switch presets on the headset is the best news I’ve had all week!

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #5,542 of 7,191
Does it reduce the noise floor too ?

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #5,544 of 7,191
Update 1 : I didn't take to completely flat, but from an indicated 15% to 61% took 1 hour (20:55> 21:50). I can imagine the rest might take another hour or so. I'll let you know.

Update 2 : now 23:08. 85%. So that's 15% to 85% in 2 hr 13 mins ish. Clearly slowing down slightly as per most lithium battery charge profiles.

The % above are checking the charge after turning on headset but while still connected - I mention that as seems the battery status in Audeze does update while charging with the headset turned off, but I think it does over-report the charge very slightly. Speaking of which - Just checking those with concerns on charge rate are charging with them turned off.

G'Night everyone - I've used up youtube waiting for this and it's now too late for me to crack out Demon's Souls - would send me to bed too hyped (or frustrated) to sleep.

update 3 : with laptop set to auto-sleep after 1 hr and without USB ports being inactive while asleep, headset went from 85% to 97% in that 1 hour. So slowing down as it gets full as expected.
This morning that last 3% took another 10 mins or less.

If I was charging from zero and using the faster rate from the first 1 hour of charging I would estimate that the first 15% would've charged quicker, say another 15 mins.

So my rough estimate is around or under 4 hours from flat to full

So 100% 09:00 > 20:50 14%

In use and on calls around 40% of the time. Turned on but no audio for the rest

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #5,549 of 7,191
Do they say anything about improved wireless connection (I.e. popping and crackling)? I really hope so as I have waited since xmas for this...
Here's the contents of the email including what the beta entails, looks like anyone can join the beta as long as they download it while it's available:

Hello

Thanks for helping us out with this beta test! We're reaching out to the community for feedback to make sure we can make the Penrose and all of our products the best they can be, and are excited about the changes coming for the Penrose.

This beta firmware will be available via the Audeze HQ app for a very limited time window.

At 4PM PDT on Monday 3/29, the beta firmware will available on the "settings" tab of the software for about 20 minutes. Make sure that you've installed the latest version of HQ and have your Penrose charged up and plugged in via USB.

If you do not see the firmware update available at the specified time, close HQ and reopen and it should become available.

We're unable to leave this window open for long, so we're not able to make special accommodations to install this firmware for users who aren't able to make it during the available window. If you're not able to make it during the specified time, we are hoping to finalize this build and have it available for wide release in the next 1-2 weeks or so depending on the feedback we get from this beta.

Once you've been able to give the new firmware a test, we ask that you reply to a short survey here: https://forms.gle/rpKeC5xZMyyUDWeDA

This firmware makes a few changes and adds a lot of new functionality:

- Makes several improvements to the mic quality and clarity over wireless.
- Adds an on-the-fly sidetone on/off functionality to the headphones by pressing in and holding the mic wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Adds an on-the-fly EQ preset toggle that will cycle through the 5 presets in memory by holding in the volume wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Fixes AAC support for Bluetooth.
- Adds a volume mix function for simultaneous BT/wireless connections. This can be used to adjust the relative levels on the fly while in Bluetooth mode by performing a "click and scroll" of the headphone volume wheel (click in once and then scroll up or down to your preferred mix).

As this firmware is still a beta, there are a few things yet to be implemented (they'll be added in the final build) and a small number of known bugs. We are aware of these issues and fixes are in the works:

- No voice cues yet for the new functionalities (sidetone on/off, EQ presets)
- There is a bug with the sidetone toggle that will disrupt function of the headphones if it's toggled on/off in Audeze HQ or the HQ app for Android after using the headphone control to toggle it on/off. This can be resolved by holding in the mic wheel as you toggle the sidetone function in HQ until you hear the sidetone turning on and off again.
- The HQ UI currently does not properly update when toggling sidetone on/off or changing EQ presets. Restarting HQ will show the currently active settings.

If you have any more specific questions or other feedback that is not covered on the survey, or have any trouble or need help with the new features you can reply directly to this email as well. Thank you very much for your help, and happy listening!

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #5,550 of 7,191
what about

volume steps are absurdly large

? ?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back