Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #5,476 of 7,191
Just wondering thoughts on this but how many people would like the dongle mic muted if on a Bluetooth phone call or chat? I find it awkward when I take a call via Bluetooth and everyone in my party on Xbox or discord can hear me on the call.

Anyone also get a random beep and the volume jumping super high every so often? I get it after playing a few hours at a set volume and out of the blue, it blast in my ears. I recall this being a "protection" but I see it doing the opposite in my case.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #5,478 of 7,191
Just wondering thoughts on this but how many people would like the dongle mic muted if on a Bluetooth phone call or chat? I find it awkward when I take a call via Bluetooth and everyone in my party on Xbox or discord can hear me on the call.

Anyone also get a random beep and the volume jumping super high every so often? I get it after playing a few hours at a set volume and out of the blue, it blast in my ears. I recall this being a "protection" but I see it doing the opposite in my case.
To me it would be a deal breaker, at least you get to warn that you're answering to a call

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #5,480 of 7,191
I meant a way to toggle back and forth where the mic audio would route but I do get your point.

Thanks for the feedback
Agreed having some toggle in software to control behavior is the optimal solution but my understanding is that audeze strives at keeping every configurable operation also doable on the headset physical buttons. While it is nice objective that also has the benefit of reducing clutter and complexity, I fear it may lead to overly complex buttons behavior. I would prefer such customization options to stay in software only.

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #5,482 of 7,191

I would not like an auto mute personally.

But I to have the bug where the headset beeps then goes super loud

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #5,483 of 7,191
Bah, i'll take a chance with the Penrose next month. If i the audio doesn't meet my standards than i'll just return them and stick with my Beyer DT770(25ohm) paired with my Sony eArc Receiver until a pair of 2.4ghz wireless closed back cans can achieve the same or better sound quality than the DT770s

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #5,484 of 7,191
Bah, i'll take a chance with the Penrose next month. If i the audio doesn't meet my standards than i'll just return them and stick with my Beyer DT770(25ohm) paired with my Sony eArc Receiver until a pair of 2.4ghz wireless closed back cans can achieve the same or better sound quality than the DT770s

if you want a better sound quality and don’t mind wires I’d upgrade those cans to DT990 pro or AKG712. Or you can get replace Penrose with Mobius if you use them on console you either gotta connect to AUX or get a Bluetooth transmitter/dongle and go wireless with it. If you’re playing competitive games on console tho stick to cables for lossless latency. Bluetooth may have too much latency for that. Just sharing my humble opinion.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #5,485 of 7,191
if you want a better sound quality and don’t mind wires I’d upgrade those cans to DT990 pro or AKG712. Or you can get replace Penrose with Mobius if you use them on console you either gotta connect to AUX or get a Bluetooth transmitter/dongle and go wireless with it. If you’re playing competitive games on console tho stick to cables for lossless latency. Bluetooth may have too much latency for that. Just sharing my humble opinion.

Well, the entire point was to go wireless, because i'm tired of the wire. :p This is where the Penrose comes in. As for the DT990's, they're open back and the DT880's are semi-open. I went for the DT770's because they were closed back and dont leak very much sound. Plus, they dont even really sound closed in, they sound more reminiscent in ways to a pair of open cans which is nice. I absolutely love the sound quality, once BASS is increased to max on my receiver. I prefer them over my previous pair of open back Sennheiser HD555's.

Anyhoo, 16ms of latency is the name of the game with 2.4ghz on the penrose....Where as wired is 7ms. i wonder if i'll be able to notice a difference, especially with movies when people talk etc? I've been back and fourth with Penrose and just sticking with what i have for months. ugh.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #5,486 of 7,191
I got my pair of Penrose from Audeze U.K. yesterday and spent a good 5 hours testing and adjusting eq.

Sound: Absolutely amazing. I’m not an audiophile but I can trust what I hear coming out of the headset. Adjusted the eq on the fly whilst connected to the hq app and only changed -1db on the 125 & 250hz lower end as I prefer it to be clearer on the mid to highs.

Comfort: No issues with them. They have a tighter clamp than my previous headsets but nothing that hurts my head.

Wireless: Connected the dongle to the front port of PS5 and had no dropouts/clicks/connected issue. Very stable. I walked to my kitchen which is 25feet away and behind 2 walls (new build house) and only got minor crackle and pops. Went directly above to the bedroom maybe 12 feet above and no dropouts whatsoever.

Mic: Sounds clear enough but picks up on my breathing wherever I place it. I can hear a bit of “hiss” after I speak and when the noise gate opens but I’m not sure if that’s part of having a wireless headset? I would prefer if I can adjust the side tone louder as I can hardly hear myself when speaking.

Battery: I charged them up to 100% and so far I played 3 hours and will report back once I get the low battery notification.

All in all I’m very pleased with the headset and hope they can update the side tone option with a firmware update. Not sure if they can also fix the hiss sound in the background when I speak into the mic.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #5,487 of 7,191
Mic: Sounds clear enough but picks up on my breathing wherever I place it. I can hear a bit of “hiss” after I speak and when the noise gate opens but I’m not sure if that’s part of having a wireless headset? I would prefer if I can adjust the side tone louder as I can hardly hear myself when speaking.
Yes. It picks up my breathing too. Is there a way to stop it? Better windsock? I have the mic volume down on the penrose and then up in my PlayStation. I also have sidetone on but every time I breathe out from my nose it picks it up unless I have the mic far away from my mouth.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #5,488 of 7,191
I have to have it about 6cm away from the corner of my mouth to eliminate breathing sounds. When you test the mic in the ps5 mic adjustment can you see the volume slightly rise and then hear a hissing/interference after you speak?

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #5,489 of 7,191
I have to have it about 6cm away from the corner of my mouth to eliminate breathing sounds. When you test the mic in the ps5 mic adjustment can you see the volume slightly rise and then hear a hissing/interference after you speak?
Yes I have to have it about 6cm away from the corner of my mouth too, which a mic is better being as close to your mouth as possible for sound quality generally (unless I'm mistaken). I don't think I get any hiss or interference after I speak though. Im also running a PS5.
My Penrose has been flawless. Clamping force is fine (although bit of a hotspot on the top but it is much better if I move the headband forward on my head a bit), sound quality is great, and connection range is also great (I can move 2 rooms away before I have audio being to stutter in the slightest (although no "Connected" prompts even at that point).
If there was a windsock/foam that worked better for eliminating breathing, then it would make it even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back