Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 3, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #5,267 of 7,191
this part has small bubble like on the planars but its the same as the left side so i guess it was normal like a connection behind it

xxxxx.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #5,268 of 7,191
Does anyone else feel the battery percentage in AudezeHQ is a pretend number plucked between 0 and 100? I have put mine on charge at 24%, it got to 100% less than an hour but the red LED was still blinking, I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the percentage dropped to 51%. Not a clue how to judge what this number is doing. Great headset but my god is there some issues with them
It's very wrong. I even wrote them about this in a support ticket, but never heard anything back and its been about 2 weeks.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #5,269 of 7,191
It's very wrong. I even wrote them about this in a support ticket, but never heard anything back and its been about 2 weeks.
yeah, i think its a easy software fix, all battery levels on gadgets is going to be a rough estimate depending on what voltage it is, so they just need to dial the @100% to match the voltage

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #5,271 of 7,191
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

mics arrive this one are a cheapo mic for 2$ and i can say they work perfectly, its sound quality i cant say yet, but doing a quick test their freq band is narrower like mics from the cellphone, thats why they dont distort as much as the audeze mic when you have a bassy voice and put the mics close to your mouth, it just works

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #5,272 of 7,191
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
mics arrive this one are a cheapo mic for 2$ and i can say they work perfectly, its sound quality i cant say yet, but doing a quick this their freq band is narrower like mics from the cellphone, thats why they dont distort as much as the audeze mic when you have a bassy voice and put the mics close to your mouth, it just works
Let us know if any of them work well. Crazy that with the money we spend on these things it could be a cheap fix but then again it could be the bad with cap on the mic and these replacements don't do anything...

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #5,273 of 7,191
Let us know if any of them work well. Crazy that with the money we spend on these things it could be a cheap fix but then again it could be the bad with cap on the mic and these replacements don't do anything...
actually its working fine, and its not muffled i think because its a cheapo mic and the freq range it picks up is just like the ones on the cellphone, narrower , so less work for the process and conversion or pass it to bluetooth and wifi, need more test but one thing i notice right of is when the audeze mic i place near my mouth its so muffled need to place it as far away as posible, this one this cheapo one just works,not the the best sound quality for singing like condenser mics but for chat audio its kinda better for me then the audeze , i can position it anyware no muffled sound

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #5,276 of 7,191
Man sometimes i'm wondering if i won't do the same...

Penrose sound is brilliant, no debate.

BUT
:
  • the most disappointing point for me : the microphone is infinitely worse than a basic microphone (my previous HyperX Cloud II for example) on Discord. For a 300 euros headset, common...
  • I often have a "wind noise" in left ear in wireless mode (i hear it when there's no sound)
  • sometimes, it's quite rare, the sound cracks in wireless mode (while there is sound)
  • wireless range is not a big issue for me, but when sometimes I move a few meters and lose the signal, it's extremely frustrating (why have wireless?)
And Audeze not communicating to reassure me, I wonder if I was not wrong in purchasing this product. At this price, I shouldn't have any disappointment.

I am not at all saying your complaints aren't legit or trying to belittle your comments in any way, but that last sentence really perplexes me.

Maybe my view of things is just skewed as an audiophile, but there are no headphones at ANY price that is not without its share of disappointments. The HD6XX for example, are pretty picky about amp pairing (infamous Sennheiser veil) and a good number of people find both the bass slam and extension lacking. The HD800 at roughly $1K has bass that most would describe as anemic and treble that can be generously called piercing. The LCD-2 which are as perfect to my preferences as any headphones out there are big, heavy, and totally not portable. The TH-X00 (my current main headphones) has a weak hinge going back 2 decades in design and costs $399.

For more complex headphones like wireless headsets, it gets even worse. We are talking about trying to fit an amp, DAC, wireless chip, planar drives, and mic all into one package in a world increasingly full of wireless interference.

Like I said though, maybe my judgement is just skewed as someone who has lived in the upper echelons of audio.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #5,278 of 7,191
When is the next update coming? @Audeze @AudezeGrover

Waiting to hear also - I think they were hoping to have an update at the end of Feb so guess it's running a bit behind.

Personally, I'm happy with the set I have now although doubts still remain on the mic quality on PS5 - Friends telling me I sound quiet/muffled despite me setting things up in the PS5 UI and sounding ok to me?

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #5,280 of 7,191
I am not at all saying your complaints aren't legit or trying to belittle your comments in any way, but that last sentence really perplexes me.

Well, let me give you some precisions.

I had an HyperX Cloud II, satisfying gaming headset with average audio quality and good microphone.

Because i use my headset all day long (work at home here in Paris) and play with it in the evening (more than 10 hours per day usage : music, conferences, gaming, Discord), i decided to purchase something better in terms of sound quality, comfort, microphone quality and a wireless option to move without having to put the headset down each time.

For all this, I decided to pay the price and chose the Audeze Penrose, which is globally much more expensive than all the other products in this segment.

As a result, I have headphones that are certainly more pleasant in terms of sound reproduction - and i repeat, i love this - but over everything else it's a huge disappointment, I lose on all points versus my HyperX which costs 3 times less. The wireless sucks, comfort is reduced, have sometimes some noises in my left ear, and above all, my friends laugh at me when I join the Discord "with my 300$ headphones" (and say it was a lot better before).

So yeah, putting 300 dollars to have headphones that does better on one point versus a 70 dollars one, there is something to be disappointed about.
And we're not speaking about HiFi product here (even if we agree on the sound rendering). Audeze Penrose is a gaming headset, so you're not buying it only for audio restitution (in this case, you go for something else).

Having said that, I fully understand your point of view as an audiophile, which I myself am, but not in the use that I define here and as intended with the Penrose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back