Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 15, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #5,116 of 7,191
I don't know what you mean by snap them onto my head. I do as I do with all my headphones, I take them off their stand, widen them enough to pull them down over my ears and then move them into place on my head. As for pressing them on, I'm not sure what this means either, but there's a power button on the side, which I obviously have to press to turn them on, off and to search BT devices, but other than that, there's no pressing on them.

Could I have damaged them by just switching them on? Seems unlikely, unless this is a weird design flaw. @Audeze is this possible?

By 'snap them on', I mean instead of gently placing them on your head, you let the earcups go so they 'snap' on your head. By 'press', think of when you're bored and you place your head on your head, it's like that. Or even if you feel like the seal around your ear is loose, so you press the earcup against your ear. That kind of thing could change pressure (if I understand it correctly) and damage the diaphragm. Audeze have amazing customer support; should definitely get in contact with them about this.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #5,118 of 7,191
Could I have damaged them by just switching them on? Seems unlikely, unless this is a weird design flaw. @Audeze is this possible?
Very unlikely that you can damage the diaphragm during normal handling. I see that you also opened a support ticket. Customer support will handle it.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 15, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #5,121 of 7,191
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 15, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #5,122 of 7,191
Current firmware is 1.5. However we have a new Mac version of the app. Current app on the site does not support firmware updates. New allows you to update to 1.5
Next FW version is scheduled for end of the month

Just PM’d you as well. I‘d love the newer version.
Didn’t notice you couldn’t update with this one since I updated my Penrose on the PC and my Penrose X came with v1.5.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #5,124 of 7,191
Hi there, first poster here. I have been trying to read everything in this incredibly long thread, and was not able to get all responses to my interrogations.

I'm a Linux user looking for a great sounding wireless + BT headset, for PC-based music / heavy videoconferencing and phoning. It's not unusual that i spend 6 hours per day in VC calls, so the calling experience and longtime comfort are very important to me.

I did try the Steelseries Pro Wireless, and, on top of the sound which sounded worse to me than my 60€ Logitech G432 or to my good old DT-990 Pro, what made me return it after a few days is the fact that the sidetone volume changes abruptly when in bluetooth mode (and is not tunable), so when you switch between a VC call (i set the sidetone to lvl 7 which is pretty high i guess) and respond to a BT call, the sidetone suddently changes (to a very low value). Also, i didn't like to sound signature, seemed quite artificial.

Can @Audeze describe how the sidetone works on Penrose ? At first sight
- i understand that you cannot control it's level (is that true) ? What is it set to currently ?
- @Mad Lust Envy said "I personally don't like sidetone being on, other than when testing as the slight delay between my voice and when the sidetone plays is distracting. " <-- is sidetone not zerolatency (like a monitoring output on a music DAC) ? In other terms, is the sidetone "emulated" (software looped, with some perceivable delay) ?
- do you confirm that in 2.4 + BT dual mode, sidetone does not change ?

PS: i understand that many users on this forum don't like sidetone, i didn't at first and now i can't do without !

Also, i read somewhere that when the headset turns off, the audio device disappears in the OS, and that it's a feature; could this behaviour become a configuration option (like the idle timeout) ?

Another concern to me after reading these posts is the durability / fragility of the drivers; many users seem to report clickings / frackling or other weird noises after some usage, is that an early series concern or is that expected with planars (which i never had) ? In other terms, would i need to handle these like porcelain all the time ? If, despite taking good care of these, this happens say after 3 months, does warranty cover this ? What is the warranty duration ?

Last concern is obviously comfort, but my reading seems to indicate there is no real consensus here, very personal and/or morphological, so the only way to know is to try for myself.

Thanks,

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #5,125 of 7,191
Hi there, first poster here. I have been trying to read everything in this incredibly long thread, and was not able to get all responses to my interrogations.

I'm a Linux user looking for a great sounding wireless + BT headset, for PC-based music / heavy videoconferencing and phoning. It's not unusual that i spend 6 hours per day in VC calls, so the calling experience and longtime comfort are very important to me.

I did try the Steelseries Pro Wireless, and, on top of the sound which sounded worse to me than my 60€ Logitech G432 or to my good old DT-990 Pro, what made me return it after a few days is the fact that the sidetone volume changes abruptly when in bluetooth mode (and is not tunable), so when you switch between a VC call (i set the sidetone to lvl 7 which is pretty high i guess) and respond to a BT call, the sidetone suddently changes (to a very low value). Also, i didn't like to sound signature, seemed quite artificial.

Can @Audeze describe how the sidetone works on Penrose ? At first sight
- i understand that you cannot control it's level (is that true) ? What is it set to currently ?
- @Mad Lust Envy said "I personally don't like sidetone being on, other than when testing as the slight delay between my voice and when the sidetone plays is distracting. " <-- is sidetone not zerolatency (like a monitoring output on a music DAC) ? In other terms, is the sidetone "emulated" (software looped, with some perceivable delay) ?
- do you confirm that in 2.4 + BT dual mode, sidetone does not change ?

PS: i understand that many users on this forum don't like sidetone, i didn't at first and now i can't do without !

Also, i read somewhere that when the headset turns off, the audio device disappears in the OS, and that it's a feature; could this behaviour become a configuration option (like the idle timeout) ?

Another concern to me after reading these posts is the durability / fragility of the drivers; many users seem to report clickings / frackling or other weird noises after some usage, is that an early series concern or is that expected with planars (which i never had) ? In other terms, would i need to handle these like porcelain all the time ? If, despite taking good care of these, this happens say after 3 months, does warranty cover this ? What is the warranty duration ?

Last concern is obviously comfort, but my reading seems to indicate there is no real consensus here, very personal and/or morphological, so the only way to know is to try for myself.

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure the sidetone works on the headset in some direct way, I use it and I cannot sense any latency. I am the same - it feels weird to not hear my own voice when talking so sidetone is a must.

However I don't use bluetooth so I cannot speak to how well that works.

Comfort - I have added Dekoni Nuggetz for extra padding, and stretched out the headband to reduce the clamping force. Right now I find it very comfortable, so there are options to improve it from out-of-box.

People will come here to complain when things are bad, not when everything is ok - myself included! I don't have any clicking or popping sounds, which I think are due to connection interference. But I do have an intermittent wooshing sound in the left ear. However, Audeze have been really awesome and made it very easy to sort out a return for repair even though I am international. I'm doing this rather than refunding because it really is a great headset.

Hope that helps

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #5,127 of 7,191
Very unlikely that you can damage the diaphragm during normal handling. I see that you also opened a support ticket. Customer support will handle it.

Unlikely, but possible? I noticed it when I unmuted the mic after switching them on. Pressing and holding the power button for 3 seconds does create suction between my head and the ear cup so I guess it's entirely possible that holding on the power button for 3 seconds to wait for these things to turn on can damage the diaphragm. Just seems weird that it was the side that only gets pressed that damaged and not the other side.

I've sent a support ticket anyway. Hopefully you can replace these.

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #5,129 of 7,191
Unlikely, but possible? I noticed it when I unmuted the mic after switching them on. Pressing and holding the power button for 3 seconds does create suction between my head and the ear cup so I guess it's entirely possible that holding on the power button for 3 seconds to wait for these things to turn on can damage the diaphragm. Just seems weird that it was the side that only gets pressed that damaged and not the other side.

I've sent a support ticket anyway. Hopefully you can replace these.

RMA requested. This sucks. My first experience with Audeze and I need to send my headphones back. Hopefully, I don't have to wait too long for them to be repaired.

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #5,130 of 7,191
For whatever reason the 'Connected' issue has become really bad on my headset. Sat at the exact same distance as previously, nothing in my setup has changed. Yet my headset seems to be disaconnecting a couple of times a minute. It got so bad I went back to a normal pair of headphones. Disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back