Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 10, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #5,028 of 7,191
Yes. There was an old “whoosh” which has been fixed in firmware. Some of us have a different “whoosh” which sounds like a faint whistling wind storm or a warbling interference sound in the left ear. It is typically sporadic and only noticeable during quite scenes or music. I put a ticket in and returned the headphones for this and they say when they receive new product they will be sending a replacement. I have not heard if they reproduced the warbling/whistling noise yet. I hope it is not related to my particular WiFi/tv/house electrical environment as that will make it harder to diagnose. I’m also hopeful that occurs only on some sets and not all of them (that currently seems to be the case). I’ll report back once my replacement set arrives.

To me, it sounds like when you put your ear up to a seashell. Wrote to support about it and Andrew told me that it was normal and is the result of the active circuitry of the Penrose. He said every headset has it, but some users are just more sensitive to it. When you get your replacement pair, please let me know if it’s still present. Don’t want to go through the whole process of RMA’ing them and being without a headset if they’re just going to send me a pair with the same problem.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #5,029 of 7,191
To me, it sounds like when you put your ear up to a seashell. Wrote to support about it and Andrew told me that it was normal and is the result of the active circuitry of the Penrose. He said every headset has it, but some users are just more sensitive to it. When you get your replacement pair, please let me know if it’s still present. Don’t want to go through the whole process of RMA’ing them and being without a headset if they’re just going to send me a pair with the same problem.

I think they said something similar to me as well and I’ll let folks know if the new pair have it. I do notice a white noise floor on my Sennheiser 4.5BTC’s so I expect some bit of noise but the warbling sound was different. To me it sounded similar to the beginning of this video, but very faint:

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #5,030 of 7,191
Feb 10, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #5,031 of 7,191
Guys, for those of you have questions for Audeze I strongly recommend that you subscribe to their YouTube channel and ring that notification bell.

They do a live stream pretty much every week (there's one running right now) and are happy to answer your questions in real time.

There are generally less than 10 people in the chat at any one time, so your question will not get lost among the masses.

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #5,032 of 7,191
Do you mean the magnetic cable?
I ordered them from aliexpress still waiting
Why is it going to damage them?

I bought for 2 headphones and ps4 and ps5 controllers.

Yeah that magnetic cables. I'm worried because based on my research and limited knowledge, planar headsets use magnets, so a magnetic cable could potentially (?) damage the headset and/or driver?

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #5,034 of 7,191
2 ongoing problems for me:

Left earcup whoosh. It is not that I am sensitive to this, even my wife can hear it. Given they addressed this in general in a last firmware update, I am hopeful it can be addressed for the left cup only. Would be a waste to RMA for this if it can be addressed.

Time to turn on. 3 seconds is far too long where alternatives turn themselves on instantly when you simply lift them up to your head.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #5,035 of 7,191
out of curiosity, does the Penrose works over USB?

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #5,037 of 7,191
My pair has the "wind" noise on the left earcup. It was appearing randomly but it wasn't very frequent and it was only audible for a few seconds so it didn't bother me, but since yesterday it became worse and now I can hear it very frequently and for minutes. Did @Audeze say something about if there are any plans of fixing this through firmware or do I have to RMA it?

I'm about one more issue away from returning these. Issues and bugbears with @Audeze and the headset:
  • Swirly wind noise in the left ear cup.
  • Pulsating digital noise in the right ear cup when charging.
  • The headset is getting looser by the day, the ear cups have barely any resistance in them now (I have a small head, I cannot make these any smaller).
  • The Android app doesn't allow me to update the headset.
  • I cannot see the battery level.
  • Chat mix is complicated and why anyone thought it was the best solution having that as the 'press down' option on the dial is beyond me.
  • @Audeze doesn't respond to tickets/this forum/twitter.
  • There's no Mac app.
  • The microphone gain keeps resetting to 0%.
  • When they auto-disconnect it takes about 30 minutes to get them to connect to my Mac again. I have to remember to turn them off if I'm going to be leaving my desk for more than 10 minutes.
  • I cannot name the presets so I need to write down which one does what.
  • I cannot switch preset without finding my Android phone (that I only bought so use with these headphones), charging it and then connecting and switching.
  • The battery life seems shorter than advertised. I usually have to charge them after lunch (about 6 hours).
So for a £300 headphone, they have a lot of issues and annoyances that are piling up. My Sennheiser which I've had for 10+ years now are on their last legs and I don't have a gaming headset to use other than these. The thing that is making me keep them is that they sound so good. But this is a huge snag list that I really hope Audeze is aware of and working on fixing. I've sent my issues to them but not heard back in weeks.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #5,038 of 7,191
I'm about one more issue away from returning these. Issues and bugbears with @Audeze and the headset:
  1. Swirly wind noise in the left ear cup.
  2. Pulsating digital noise in the right ear cup when charging.
  3. The headset is getting looser by the day, the ear cups have barely any resistance in them now (I have a small head, I cannot make these any smaller).
  4. The Android app doesn't allow me to update the headset.
  5. I cannot see the battery level.
  6. Chat mix is complicated and why anyone thought it was the best solution having that as the 'press down' option on the dial is beyond me.
  7. @Audeze doesn't respond to tickets/this forum/twitter.
  8. There's no Mac app.
  9. The microphone gain keeps resetting to 0%.
  10. When they auto-disconnect it takes about 30 minutes to get them to connect to my Mac again. I have to remember to turn them off if I'm going to be leaving my desk for more than 10 minutes.
  11. I cannot name the presets so I need to write down which one does what.
  12. I cannot switch preset without finding my Android phone (that I only bought so use with these headphones), charging it and then connecting and switching.
  13. The battery life seems shorter than advertised. I usually have to charge them after lunch (about 6 hours).
So for a £300 headphone, they have a lot of issues and annoyances that are piling up. My Sennheiser which I've had for 10+ years now are on their last legs and I don't have a gaming headset to use other than these. The thing that is making me keep them is that they sound so good. But this is a huge snag list that I really hope Audeze is aware of and working on fixing. I've sent my issues to them but not heard back in weeks.

Hi

Numbered to write replies.

#1 and #2 I don't get this. But I heard FW update helps (might not help you if you only have MAC but see #8 and the comment on that page)

#3 This is a first.

#4 update what? you mean firmware? I would say see #8 but I see that FW update not yet supported

#5 see #8

#8 Mac app was released I thought a few days ago. Suggest rechecking the app download page.
Audeze HQ Download

#9 I find the gain on the headset itself I find does "stick". I do in Windows that the mic mutes altogether. Gain resets to 40 in the control panel. This is my number one issue

#13 I get through from 09:00 until 18:45 most days without plugging in. 19:30 it tends to start complaining.

Regard
Chris

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #5,040 of 7,191
  • Swirly wind noise in the left ear cup.
  • Pulsating digital noise in the right ear cup when charging.
  • The headset is getting looser by the day, the ear cups have barely any resistance in them now (I have a small head, I cannot make these any smaller).
  • The Android app doesn't allow me to update the headset.
  • I cannot see the battery level.
  • Chat mix is complicated and why anyone thought it was the best solution having that as the 'press down' option on the dial is beyond me.
  • @Audeze doesn't respond to tickets/this forum/twitter.
  • There's no Mac app.
  • The microphone gain keeps resetting to 0%.
  • When they auto-disconnect it takes about 30 minutes to get them to connect to my Mac again. I have to remember to turn them off if I'm going to be leaving my desk for more than 10 minutes.
  • I cannot name the presets so I need to write down which one does what.
  • I cannot switch preset without finding my Android phone (that I only bought so use with these headphones), charging it and then connecting and switching.
  • The battery life seems shorter than advertised. I usually have to charge them after lunch (about 6 hours).
Can you PM me your ticket number ? We usually respond within a few days. The Mac app was released a few days ago. We are testing the firmware update and it should be released shortly. Happy to send it to you (with firmware update option).
We are working on new firmware that will have some new features (early March)
1. Bluetooth + 2.4Ghz audio mix - so you can adjust the balance
2. Button combinations to change presets from the headphone

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back