Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 3, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #4,936 of 7,191
How bad was the popping for you? Would you hear a pop like every 30 seconds, or would it be like once an hour? For me, it was inconsistent, like sometimes it'd be every 10 seconds, other times it'd be every 10 minutes. It went on for a few months and I tried many diff headsets like the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2's and the Penrose and even my Astros. I first discovered it in August with the 700 Gen 2's, and I really liked them but the popping was awful lol. Tried them again a month later, still pretty bad. I then found my Astros had the popping when I got my SX on launch day. SX doesn't support Optical, so I was shocked to hear them pop and crackle so much. I pretty much dealt with the popping of my Astros for a good month till I got the LG CX TV - which thankfully had Optical support. I was able to connect my base station to that via Optical and popping was completely gone on Xbox. My Penrose X was delivered shortly after, and sadly, they had terrible popping/crackling as well... I tried everything. Nothing worked. I absolutely lost my mind. I gave up pretty much thinking I'd never fix it and stuck with my Astros since I could use the Optical connection. Decided to try the Turtle Beaches a week ago, and I couldn't believe the popping was (mostly) gone. Don't know why or how but it's a lot better for some reason.

So yeah, it got me thinking about the Penrose again, so I figure I should return everything and try to order it online again. Really hopeful there won't be any popping. I've heard a few pops with my Astros today, but I think it's just bc it's a buggy headset and I was messing with Dolby Atmos settings, so that's probably why. I swear, the A50 Gen 4, as good as it is, has been the most buggy piece of tech I've ever owned. I don't even know if popping is gone for sure, but Idk I'm too impatient to wait and find out right now. I just wanna try the Penrose X again since I loved it so much -_-

Popping was also variable for me as you described. X1 doesnt have a front USB port, so I was using the side port which was better than using the rear port. I will add that I heard from support last night and they were able to replicate several of my complaints on my headset. The tech indicated that they thought they would be fixed via firmware updates, but are having a replacement set sent pending available stock.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #4,937 of 7,191
Anyone have the preset values for this headphone in numerical format? I accidentally changed the values and hit reset thinking it would reset to what it was before I slipped and now they've reverted back to 0 with no undo option so I need to key them in again.
Default equalizer settings? They are 0 across the board

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #4,939 of 7,191
Popping was also variable for me as you described. X1 doesnt have a front USB port, so I was using the side port which was better than using the rear port. I will add that I heard from support last night and they were able to replicate several of my complaints on my headset. The tech indicated that they thought they would be fixed via firmware updates, but are having a replacement set sent pending available stock.
That's good they might be able to fix it. I just ordered the headset from Crutchfield and it will be here Friday, and I have 60 days before I"ll need to return it, so hopefully they fix any issues by then. I don't expect to hear any popping, not sure what I will do if it's really bad like before. I'll probably just go back to the Turtle Beaches or something at the point and call it a day.

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #4,941 of 7,191
Weird issue. My mic gain keeps resetting to zero. Anyone else had this and/or know how to fix it?

You on Windows?

If so Bug. The mic volume both mutes and the gain sets to "42".

Pls raise to Audeze HQ. I could only contact Audeze UK and I explained my other bluetooth headsets don't do this. the chap was friendly and helpful but I'm not sure if I made him understand why this was an issue.

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #4,942 of 7,191
You on Windows?

If so Bug. The mic volume both mutes and the gain sets to "42".

Pls raise to Audeze HQ. I could only contact Audeze UK and I explained my other bluetooth headsets don't do this. the chap was friendly and helpful but I'm not sure if I made him understand why this was an issue.
I do have the same problem as you guys, freaking annoying.

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #4,943 of 7,191
Audeze sent me a replacement dongle to help with the popping/clicking issues; however, I think due to an xBox software update, the popping/clicking had almost stopped by the time the new dongle arrived. So there was no difference between the replacement and the old dongle in terms of popping and clicking. It very rarely happens, I can say maybe once in every ten hours of gameplay. And now I am suspecting this popping/clicking might be xBox related and not Audeze's fault. Also, for people who are considering A50's or Lucidsound ls50x, I've had them both, and they are in no way a comparison to PenroseX in terms of sound quality.

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #4,944 of 7,191
Audeze sent me a replacement dongle to help with the popping/clicking issues; however, I think due to an xBox software update, the popping/clicking had almost stopped by the time the new dongle arrived. So there was no difference between the replacement and the old dongle in terms of popping and clicking. It very rarely happens, I can say maybe once in every ten hours of gameplay. And now I am suspecting this popping/clicking might be xBox related and not Audeze's fault. Also, for people who are considering A50's or Lucidsound ls50x, I've had them both, and they are in no way a comparison to PenroseX in terms of sound quality.
Interesting that they sent a new dongle. Because I do have popping and clicking with my PS5.

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #4,945 of 7,191
For those having comfort issues I recommend trying something like what I did. It totally fixed the pain I was having from the headband.

I ordered a headset headband wrap from Amazon from Geekria that snaps together around the headband. I ordered the standard size but it was an absolute bear to get the buttons snapped. Maybe try the larger size.

It honestly doesn't look bad with the headset, especially since I swapped out the green earcups to carbon. Definitely less visually offensive to me than Dekoni nuggets would be.
20210125_103204.jpg
Is this the one you ordered? Trying to find a headband padding that'll work well with the Penrose.

https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Rep...efix=Geekria+,aps,152&sr=8-10#customerReviews

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #4,947 of 7,191
I just installed the latest HQ application on Windows.

I can confirm there is a battery charge level indication for me.

I have just adjusted the auto shutdown time to 30 mins (from the default 10). Nice that this can be done without a firmware update to the headset! Means the feature was already in there.

Now another slider for "Turn on time" so I can set it to single momentary button press rather than 3 seconds please!!

Keep it up

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #4,949 of 7,191
1612430483306.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back